Recent Topics

1 Aug 29, 2011 09:30    

I recently changed all my urls (shortened them). Consequently each blog entry has at least 2 URLs providing an identical page.

To counter this I want to add a canonical URL in the head section of my each page - of the form:

<link rel="canonical" href="http://jeyjoo.com/blog/6-absolutely-free-stock-photo-websites" />

The canonical link is supported by Google, and is there to tell search engines which of the mutliple URLs to give importance to (link juice).

Does anyone know of a mod for this.

Much appreciated

2 Sep 10, 2011 21:52

b2evo 4 handles multiple URLs for each post.

It will automatically 301 redirect to the latest version of the URL.

(And just in case anyone wonders: 301 is even better than canonical)

3 Mar 20, 2012 21:02

is this really a good idea to add more slugs to a single post ?

I mean is it really effective seo-wise ?

4 May 07, 2014 17:40

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but my question relates directly to the subject matter and I figured keeping it all together makes things easier to find.

Does the automatic 301 redirect still work in b2evo 5.x ? I've just upgraded from a very old installation to the current latest (5.0.8). My old installation had Post Titles with "spaces" but URLs/slugs in the format domain.com/slugname/year/month/day/this_is_the_title_of_the_post

Nowadays, underscores are undesirable in regards to SEO, and I'd like to find some way to rename all my posts to use hyphens (-) in place of underscores (_). At the same time, I'd like to redirect all those old posts to the new posts. Is there an easy, system-wide method to globally replace the underscore with a hyphen in the URL/slug of all my old posts, and at the same time auto-301 the old post to the new?

EDIT: If there is no automated way to do this, I would still like to know how to do it manually, since I do need to rename the URLs to use hyphens instead of underscores. Do I just need to edit the post and rename the URL from post_title to post-title and the 301 is automatically created internally? Or is there more to it?

jj.

5 May 10, 2014 13:04

@jibberjab In cases like yours, the 301 redirect is automatically created from any "extra" slug to the main slug of the item. In your case, if you change the main slug from "the_items_slug" to "the-items-slug", then for further request to "the_items_slug", b2evolution will return "the-items-slug" by default. All slugs associated to each item must be keeped, just add the new ones by directly typing them in the first position of the URL slugs: at the item's expert edition form (please see replacing_main_slug.png). Also, consider that this process requires that the Make canonical parameters should be enabled in the "Single Post Pages" fieldset at http://b2evolution.net/man/single-post-pages-seo.

I'm afraid that there are no tools to accomplish this automatically, it should be done with a directly database manipulation. I'll try to share a simple script but I'm not able to do it right now, so if you can do it by yourself, please let us know.

Thanks.

6 May 10, 2014 13:50

Just to clarify my latest comment. When I said "main slug", I referred to the "canonical url" of the item.

7 May 10, 2014 16:20

@mgsolipa
Thanks for that info. Also, it seems the "Redirected (301)" selector is for redirecting outside of b2evo, right?

9 May 12, 2014 20:34

@mgsolipa wrote earlier:

@jibberjab
I'm afraid that there are no tools to accomplish this automatically, it should be done with a directly database manipulation. I'll try to share a simple script but I'm not able to do it right now, so if you can do it by yourself, please let us know.

If you can share that script it would be appreciated. I know what needs to be done, in concept, but am not comfortable enough with SQL to make the changes. I presume it's a duplication of the post title, separated with a comma, and then a regex replacement of underscore with hyphen on content before the comma...

jj.

10 Sep 15, 2015 14:31

Coming back to this from last year, can you post that script you mentioned?

13 Sep 23, 2015 05:31

Nearly 1600 posts across 2 blog sites...

14 Sep 23, 2015 08:04

@jibberjab I couldn't find a safe+quick solution at that moment, so I paused indefinitely :(

Maybe I, or maybe somebody else in the dev team, could give it a second chance.

Regards!

Form is loading...