Recent Topics

1 Nov 04, 2011 00:49    

My b2evolution Version: 4.1.1

Hi-

Just installed b2e; got an existing site, want to add blogs -- tried WordPress & ran into several issues, thought I'd give b2e a shot...

Here's the thing: We have an existing membership system in place. A user can log into their account, go to their profile & I want to add admin access to _their_ blog there.

What this entails is checking to see if that member has a blog. If not, they have a button 'create your blog' and if so, a 'login to your blog' button.

When they create their blog, I want to automagically create the b2e records & files using their site account name & PW, and take them to their user admin page so they can set up their blog. If they already have a blog, they just log in (via php) and do whatever they want...

Main question: does b2e have an API to allow external user creation and login, or will I need to write something custom?

b2e advertises how easy it is to integrate b2e into existing sites, I would think something like this would already exist...

Any help appreciated!

-CSense

2 Nov 04, 2011 02:33

Welcome to the forums!

What you need can be done with a plugin. You can authenticate/register a user in b2evolution using login and password from external database.

b2evolution supports MetaWeblog, MovableType or Blogger xmlrpc APIs. I don't know of any existing solution for that.

3 Nov 04, 2011 03:46

Hi sam2kb--

Hey, many thnx for the reply...any idea of the name of the plugin I'd need, or should I just start searching the plugin section (alas, haven't even browsed it yet to see what's available)?

But if there is a plugin to achieve the creation/login of users, then I'm halfway there already!

Since you seem knowledgable of such things, let me ask you one more Q:

When I was playing around with WordPress, I found several/many scripts that supposedly achieved remote logins...problem was, they were all written for previous versions of WP, & the WP folk seem to change things a lot, structurally, between releases...thus, all of these scripts didn't work (from what I gathered, a lot of these changes occurred when they rolled the WP MU into the main package)...so the question is, does b2e suffer from the same side effects? As everything states that b2e was designed to be multi user from the get-go, I'd like to think that a plugin I install today won't need to be rewritten for the next release...is this a correct perception?

Again, thnx for your assistance...if you're any indication of the level of support to be found in this forum, then I'm definitely in the right place!

-CSense

4 Nov 04, 2011 03:57

I meant that it's possible to create a plugin that allows user authentication from external source. I'm not aware of any such plugin.

I'd like to think that a plugin I install today won't need to be rewritten for the next release...is this a correct perception?

Generally this is true, however sometimes when the core changes plugins may need to be edited a bit too. It's a common thing in programming; there's a good chance that a program written for windows 3.1 will not work in seven ;)

There are many older plugins in repository that will not work in current b2evolution version out of the box.

Form is loading...