Recent Topics

1 Feb 11, 2005 19:19    

Ouch, my entire DB dropped. Out of no where. I went to my site, got the access error:

MySQL error!

Error establishing a database connection!

1. Are you sure you have typed the correct user/password?
2. Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname?
3. Are you sure that the database server is running?

I then logged into my host's control panel (cPanel) and see that my db is gone! They are looking into it and getting a backup ready. I suspect it was hacked.

Once I find out more, I'll post who what when where and how's.

(btw - I DID install the security patch that was on b2e's homepage).

2 Feb 11, 2005 20:03

roadies wrote:

I suspect it was hacked.

.. and I suspect your host will allow you to 'suspect' that for as long as you want ;) Crap happens, and its not always the result of some malicious intrusion -- it takes one typographical error to screw something up big time from the shell once you're root.

either way, good luck.

3 Feb 11, 2005 20:07

whoo@work wrote:

roadies wrote:

I suspect it was hacked.

.. and I suspect your host will allow you to believe that for as long as you want ;) Crap happens, and its not always the result of some malicious intrusion -- it takes on typographical error to screw something up big time from the shell once you're root.

either way, good luck.

Well, they didn't tell me that, that was an assumption since I've had verified hack attempts in the past. I don't have shell access on this server, only changes I make is through FTP. I hadn't FTP'd in over a week, this happened this morning.

Honestly, if it is a broken table or the db just needed repair, or if an admin was in the account and made an error, my host will tell me. It really helps to have honest hosts these days.

4 Feb 11, 2005 22:25

i wasnt suggesting they had told you that. I figured you had come to that conclusion yourself.

again, im just remarking that things being broke isnt always the result of "being hacked".

Its off topic, but then your first post isnt really a how-to question either so I feel better ;)

hackers, hacking, hacked -- all over used terms that are often tossed out when someone doesnt know better. it's the Internet scapegoat for all things evil on the net.

5 Feb 12, 2005 01:10

whoo@work wrote:

i wasnt suggesting they had told you that. I figured you had come to that conclusion yourself.

again, im just remarking that things being broke isnt always the result of "being hacked".

Its off topic, but then your first post isnt really a how-to question either so I feel better ;)

hackers, hacking, hacked -- all over used terms that are often tossed out when someone doesnt know better. it's the Internet scapegoat for all things evil on the net.

Thanks woo. I'm very aware those are over used terms, but my site has a history.

And yes, I know this was in the HOW TO, but that seemed to fit better than INSTALLATION SUPPORT. There really should be a general support or just plain ol HELP forum.

6 Feb 12, 2005 01:14

hmm... that being said, this would have fit better in the SERVER STUFF forum. I get tehstupid award today. Mods, please move this thread appropriately.

Form is loading...