Recent Topics

1 Jul 11, 2005 01:10    

I'll simply list what my goals are...

-- I would like to use the linkblog in the sidebar, but removing the passage I write about the link. (similar to this: http://thesouthernbeat.com/ I know this site uses wordpress, just wondering if it's possible to render something similar)

--I would like to sort my links on the linkblog site by category then alphabatize within the category instead of listing links by date.

On a final note, is there a way to move the top links to each blog around? I would like it to be, main-articles-justin-linkblog

2 Jul 11, 2005 01:22

One other question was how do you make the author shown? Although right now I may not ever have other contributors to my site I would like to have my name show up as the author...

Oh yeah, and is there a way to make ALL links outside the website open in a new window? I post articles and the title is a link is to the article...

4 Jul 11, 2005 08:57

-- I would like to use the linkblog in the sidebar, but removing the passage I write about the link. (similar to this: http://thesouthernbeat.com/ I know this site uses wordpress, just wondering if it's possible to render something similar)

--I would like to sort my links on the linkblog site by category then alphabatize within the category instead of listing links by date.

Download my London skin from the skins site, and either copy the _linkblog.php or look at it's code. I think it does exactly what you want.

5 Jul 12, 2005 09:53

Ok so far I have pretty much done what I wanted to do, I have an unwanted space between the category title and category contents.

Looks like this:

general

Dennis Bakke: Joy at Work
How Stuff Works
Nutrition Data
webMD

news

MSNBC.com

bloggers

Bluegrass Institute for Public Policy Solutions

*EDIT* Dang it, I just realized when I pasted that it looked how I want it to look. Now I have it how it looks...

6 Jul 12, 2005 15:04

Add this to your stylesheet (custom.css):

h6 {
margin-bottom:0;
}

7 Jul 12, 2005 15:10

YOU DA MAN!!!! HAHAHAHA

Damn this shit is starting to make sense!

I never got into this type of coding, 2-3 years ago I could do nearly anything you wanted in HTML. Now that php, css, xhtml and all this other jargon is hitting it big (and somewhat easy) I'm behind. Don't know if I want to spend the time to really learn it though :/

8 Jul 12, 2005 15:14

I put off learning css for a long time, too. Turns out that it's not really that hard. Search google for a guide and read through it, then install the [url=https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=60]Firefox Web Developer Extension[/url], which lets you edit css on the fly and see the results instantly. That's what I used to try that code I gave you. The dev toolbar does lots of other tricks, too. Give it a try.

10 Jul 15, 2005 21:37

isaac please check your blog for a feedback question, just wondering where I am suppose to put that code so it works...

11 Jul 15, 2005 22:28

Come up with another question...

Is it possible to create a mouse over text box using the blogs web-based entry writer? I hope that makes sense!

When posting entries to the linkblog, I would like to have text giving a description of the link since I do not have access directly to the linkblog.

12 Jul 17, 2005 13:58

Sorry, I have no idea what you mean. Can you link to a site that already does this?

13 Jul 17, 2005 15:50

I think thisexit would like a linkblog with just links, but when you mouse over a link it shows some text (the body of the post). I guess you could do it like this:

<a href="<?php (Link to URL code goes here) ?>" title="<?php (Post body code goes here) ?>"><?php (Post title code goes here) ?></a>

Or it might be better to do it with CSS. Set up the linkblog like normal, and wrap the post text in a div with a class that you hide via CSS until it get's moused over.

14 Jul 18, 2005 06:18

That is exactly what I'm looking for, just not sure where to put it.

I tried but failed :/

15 Jul 18, 2005 13:34

I can help you, but let me ask you this first. How long do you want these descriptions to be able to go? And do you want them to be able to include formatting or images? If so then we should do this with CSS.

16 Jul 18, 2005 20:21

Oh no no, I'm just talking about what you said...

All I have in the post body is a brief description...

Nothing more.

18 Jul 18, 2005 21:36

Add this to your stylesheet (custom.css)

.bSideItem h6 {
	margin:0;
}

19 Jul 18, 2005 21:47

Even if you are just doing a simple bit of text, I think CSS would be the best way to do it. Here's a guide on CSS popups. Take a look. When I get time in the next couple of days I'll help you hammer out the code. In the meantime, see what damage you can do:

http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo.html

Form is loading...