Recent Topics

1 Jul 20, 2005 23:47    

My blog is located at http://blog.thedarksighed.com. I have the linkblog portion of the blog aggregated in the right sidebar, so that each post to the linkblog gets posted in the sidebar as well. However, I usually include some supplementary text with each linkblog entry, and the sidebar aggregation is quickly going to get much too long if it shows every post in the linkblog. Is there a way to limit the aggregate linkblog posts to only the most recent 5, or 7, or 10 posts?

It may just be that I don't know how to really use the linkblog portion of the blog most efficiently/effectively, so any insight or guidance would be most helpful.

jj.

2 Jul 21, 2005 01:13

Do you want the links to show up in alphabetical order (like the linkblog normally does) or by date (like blogs usually work)? If you want the latter, then check the multiblogs.php file for code you need to display a second blog in your sidebar. I'm using it to display only the four most recent posts there.

3 Jul 21, 2005 02:24

I'm not sure I even know which way I want it to display, because I'm not sure if the way I'm using my linkblog is the standard/preferable way to use it... If you click on the "linkblog" link at my site, you'll see I have categories listed, but each post shows up as a distinct entry, listed by the date it was posted. I'm not sure if this is how I should be using the linkblog, or if there's a better or more desirable way to use a linkblog for purposes of cleanliness/order-ability, etc... However, each entry is sorted by the date it was made, so when you say a linkblog is usually sorted alphabetically, I guess I'm doing something incorrectly, because I don't seee a way to change the sorting...

jj.

4 Jul 21, 2005 02:31

There isn't an easy way to change the sorting.

I don't think there's a right and wrong way to use the linkblog.

5 Jul 21, 2005 03:17

I found this piece of code in the _linkblog.php file:

if(!isset($linkblog_limit)) $linkblog_limit = 8;

I currently have 5 distinct posts in my linkblog... When I changed the limit=8 to a 3, the aggregate listing then only showed 3 entries.. However, it was still showing the first 3 entries that were made, and didn't remove the earliest 2 entries in favor of the 3 newest. It doesn't seem to cycle the oldest ones out and replace them with the newest... You know, the whole First In First Out thing...

jj.

6 Jul 21, 2005 03:38

Right. That's one thing that makes a linkblog different from a regular blog (which can be placed in the sidebar using code from multiblogs.php). I have one of each on [url=http://www.brendoman.com/dbc]my site[/url]. My Linkblog has links to friends' websites. They're listed alphabetically and not by date. My Recent Media section shows the last four posts to my mediablog, ordered by date.

Form is loading...