Recent Topics

1 Aug 07, 2005 21:03    

I posted a while back because I had resources allocations issues (memory) on my server, which was due to high SQL queries; I consequently used index.html as default page.

I was playing with the Stats tab today and found over 60k hits from sites banned by b2 (Blacklist was not up-to-date). It appears that my problems where caused by all these sites that have no other purpose than putting unncessary strain on websites.

I cleared and updated the Banned Blacklist and tried to go back to the default PHP page. After about an hour, I got over 100 hits, all of the same nature, some of which were already in my Blacklist!

How can I go around this? I can't spend time on the blog cleaning up the stats file and constantly updating the Blacklist...

Any ideas? Comments? :'(

3 Aug 08, 2005 16:55

The first link (EdB's antispam recheck hacks) opens on a blank page and nothing happens! There's no link to the cron from their main page...

What to do :?:

4 Aug 08, 2005 18:16

Do you mean my page doesn't load or the hack doesn't work on your web?

5 Aug 09, 2005 04:50

asterix11 wrote:

How can I go around this? I can't spend time on the blog cleaning up the stats file and constantly updating the Blacklist...
(

I use Isaac's cronjob to automatically update the blacklist and I edited my template so stats don't show (spammers get no mileage out of visiting). However, I also used some of the methods shown in whoo's antispam thread to block comment spam and referrers.

Then, to get rid of all the spammers who had already found my blog I changed the blog directory (easy to do, just rename your blog directory through your FTP client and change the config to point to the new location - though check that you have no hard coding in your skin/template, otherwise this will need to be changed to).
Regular spammers are blocked through htaccess.

It's now a couple of months since I made these changes and I have not (so far, so good) had any spam at all. Heaps of spammers hitting 301 redirects into space, but my bandwidth and I are much happier :)

Form is loading...