Recent Topics

1 Aug 27, 2005 04:10    

I'm using Version 0.9.0.10, with the patch installed.

I've been getting a lot of spam, which has forced me
to close "comments" and trackbacks down. ;-(
It was getting insane, and effecting the MYSQL
processes, slowing the server down.

Do I need to upgrade,, and if so, what's the process
of overwriting the old version?

How can I set it up to only allow legitimate comments,
and block the spammers?

Thanks,
Ron

2 Aug 27, 2005 04:34

"The upgrade"? There are two security patches since v10 came out. At a minimum I suggest you find the other and install it. Best bet is to upgrade to v12 and add the xml-rpc security patch (available through the downloads page).

None of this will stop or deter spammers by the way. The very simplest way to deter spammers is to keep your local copy of the blacklist up to date. In your back office hit the 'Antispam' tab, then click on "get the update" (or something like that) until the before and after date stamps match. You then click the 'Stats' tab and scroll down to the bottom area. For each 'referer' you consider a spammer click the little ban symbol then the button that says something like "do all this stuff".

There are a lot of hacks that help control spammers. Enough that there is a whole forum inside the plugins and hacks forum addressing spam control methods. Spend some time perusing that sub-forum and decide what you are comfortable with, but always always always update & delete & ban & report spammers. That's the antispam tab thing eh?

Just for the record: I think the easiest and fastest way to block comment spammers is to rename your htsrv folder, documented in the very first post in [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=3764]this thread[/url]. Whether you do that or not, keep your antispam list up to date!

3 Aug 27, 2005 04:57

EdB wrote:

"The upgrade"? There are two security patches since v10 came out. At a minimum I suggest you find the other and install it. Best bet is to upgrade to v12 and add the xml-rpc security patch (available through the downloads page).

Where's a tutorial for doing upgrades? Can I jump to version
12 directly, or do I need to install 11 first? On PHPBB web boards
you need to go one version up at a time. Is that the case here?

Thanks, => a lot!!
Ron

4 Aug 27, 2005 06:14

No need to do v11 first. Just get v12 and the patch and unzip them. Add the patch file to the appropriate folder in your new b2evolution unzip (which I believe will be the b2evocore folder but don't hold me to that), and get ready to do a bit of file transfer.

• Download your skin if you've customized it and don't have a local copy.

• Download your conf/_config.php file if you don't have a local copy.

• Delete all the b2evolution files on your server.

• Open the new and old conf/_config.php files and move 6 pieces of information from the old one to the new one - 4 about your database connection, your base url, and your admin email id. Oh and set the "config_is_done" to 1, so I guess that's 7 pieces of information.

• If your skin was customized at all add your skin folder to the skins folder in your new b2evolution.

• Upload your new b2evolution including the xml-rpc patch and your conf/_config.php info and your skin if it was customized at all to your server.

• Point your browser at http://base_domain/install and tell it you are upgrading.

• Be amazed at the unique nature of the universe.

• Wonder if life as we know it could exist without our molten core and broken crust (not to mention low level background radiation)

• Don't sue me if it all goes belly up!!!

• [/list:u] Your posts and comments and settings are all stored in your database, so as long as you don't touch the database the worst that will happen is lack of a blog for a while. Thus you should probably also do a backup of the database before beginning the upgrade process.

Form is loading...