Recent Topics

1 Sep 30, 2005 09:07    

Hi... first post.

I was reading the dev: to do news article http://b2evolution.net/dev/todo/2005/09/05/editing_permissions

All the new ideas on user permissions are great, especially as we have a collaborative blog.

However, can you decide which members (or which type of posts if we follow on from the permissions concept) are truly "published" in the sense of syndicating them to news feeds.

Eg: I don't want a protected (members only) post to go out on a feed. It should only be accessed via the b2evo blog site after logging in.

This might have already been solved though, apologies if it has. Cheers in advance.

2 Sep 30, 2005 15:30

Protected posts won't go to the RSS feed. Except, I think if a logged in member views the RSS feed, they would be able to see the protected posts. But, that means to see the posts in a news aggretator, the member would have to send their password and username in the url of the feed. So, unless they do that, the protected posts won't go out on the feed. Just test it before you try it with anything you really don't want others to read.

3 Sep 30, 2005 16:07

I tested my blogs rss 2 feed http://bioticaudio.com/blog/xmlsrv/rss2.php?blog=1 at http://www.nuwance.com/newsmonkey/ and the protected post don't appear. You can't get to them from the b2evo blog site either (unless you login)

However,

If you open the feed direct in a browser you can see the post "testing members only" somewhere at the top of the xml.

My opera aggregator reads the protected post and I have been making a flash based aggregator with a view to integrating it into our main site. This too can show the protected post without loging in.

http://www.bioticaudio.com/rssreader.html

I'm confused?!?

4 Sep 30, 2005 16:19

That's because you're still logged in. Log out, delete your cookies and try again and you probably won't see them. Or go to the feed in another browser, one that your've not logged in on. Or from another computer. If the php file that generates the feed can't see a cookie showing you as logged in, then the protected posts won't be there.

5 Sep 30, 2005 16:32

You rule.

Never thought it'd be a cookie issue. Ah well, you live and learn.

That actually makes perfect sense now. Members will be able to view the protected only posts anywhere then, so long as they're logged in.

Thanks for clearing that one up for me personman.
Geez...Newbies

6 Dec 06, 2007 17:30

I've searched the forums and I've read this thread a couple of times to try to understand, but I've finally resorted to asking...

I'm wondering if there's a way to let members of my blog/s access RSS feeds of protected posts? i.e. can they log in via the RSS feed? It was mentioned in this thread, but I'm not sure how it would be done.
If I stay logged in, I can use Firefox's live bookmarks to access protected posts, but they won't come through Thunderbird's reader, and I've also experimented unsuccessfully with google reader.

Protected posts won't go to the RSS feed. Except, I think if a logged in member views the RSS feed, they would be able to see the protected posts. But, that means to see the posts in a news aggretator, the member would have to send their password and username in the url of the feed.

Does anybody know how you could send your password and username in the URL of the feed? - what format etc?

Thanks in advance...

7 Dec 06, 2007 17:33

cockatoo,
Add ?login=YOUR_USERNAME&pwd=YOUR_PASSWORD onto the url and you'll get the logged in version of the feed.

8 Dec 06, 2007 17:59

Thank you personman,

Add ?login=YOUR_USERNAME&pwd=YOUR_PASSWORD onto the url and you'll get the logged in version of the feed.

Unfortunately I've now tried that in Thunderbird and google reader, but it's still only sending the published post. It's not telling me there's any error, but it's just not letting me see the protected posts.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

9 Dec 06, 2007 18:07

I just tested this and confirmed that it worked on my blog (version 1.10). Did you try looking at the rss feed in your browser first? Use that to test it. You may need to change the ? above to a &

10 Dec 06, 2007 18:23

Thanks again personman. It now works - simply changing from the ? to the & did it in my case. Sorry, I didn't mention that my blog is also version 1.10, but I don't think that matters now.

Much appreciated!

11 Dec 06, 2007 18:29

Great work. My fault about the &. I forgot that there was already a parameter in the rss url.

Form is loading...