Recent Topics

1 Oct 12, 2005 08:19    

I uploaded an image the other day and when I previewed it, the image looked distorted, so I resized the image and tried to upload it. The system told me that the file already existed. I went into the images directory and deleted the file but it still would not allow me to reupload the file even though it was no longer in the directory. What did I do wrong?

Pie

2 Oct 12, 2005 15:13

That's odd. You should at least be able to upload the file with a different filename.

3 Oct 12, 2005 15:26

personman wrote:

That's odd. You should at least be able to upload the file with a different filename.

Well that much I can do but I just didn't understand why the system still saw the file as being there even tho I logged in through Remote and deleted the file physically from the server.

Thanks

Pie

4 Oct 12, 2005 15:27

That is puzzling. What if you try to go to the file in your browser after you delete it? Do you get a 404 not found error?

5 Oct 12, 2005 15:43

personman wrote:

That is puzzling. What if you try to go to the file in your browser after you delete it? Do you get a 404 not found error?

After I click Upload it kept giving me the message c:\inetpub\vhosts\domain\subdomain\blog\blogs\media\file.jpg already exists
even though the directory was empty. Is the filename being stored in the DataBase? I also deleted the index.html in that media directory and still it didn't help.

Thanks
Pie

6 Oct 12, 2005 16:02

I wasn't able to replicate your problem on my site. I'm using Apache with Linux rather than IIS with Windows. That could be part of it. I tried uploading a duplicate file and it automatically renamed it and added _01 onto the end of the filename. It asked me to confirm the new name (or choose another) before the file was saved. Then I deleted the first file and tried uplolading one of the same name. It uploaded with no problem. Maybe we've found a bug in the way the script works with IIS.

7 Oct 13, 2005 00:00

Just a hunch - did you empty your recycle bin after deleting the file?

I also use Apache on Linux, so I can't test this theory, but I wonder if the file is still visible to PHP even though it's been "deleted", because it's still in the recycle bin (which just means it's been marked, not moved). Emptying the recycle bin should delete it for good.

9 Oct 13, 2005 05:40

personman wrote:

I hate windows.

ahahaha Windows is my friend. I hated DOS and Linux just reminds me too much of it.

I generally don't use the recycle bin I just SHIFT-DEL to just nuke the file, which is what I did with this one.

Pie

Form is loading...