Recent Topics

1 Oct 15, 2005 10:05    

I dont want to sound like an idiot but I am. What is a static page, and how often should it be generated or should it be generated at all?
Thanks!

Pie

2 Oct 15, 2005 15:54

Unless you have a good reason to, don't generate it at all. You can make a static version of your front page, which means it's html, not php, so it can be served a bit faster. Unless your site gets hundreds of thousands of hits a day, and you're seeing performance problems, you don't need it. It's much better to serve dynamic php pages.

3 Oct 16, 2005 02:55

Thanks personman. I appreciate the reply.

Pie

4 Oct 16, 2005 06:43

Thepieman,

The sole purpose of a "static" page, is to lessen the load on the server. Each time someone requests your page, PHP code and the database need to be run and accessed. This is a drain on the server. But ONLY if you're receiving thousands of hits every minute.

Unless you're getting this kind of traffic (I pulled the "thousands of hits every minute" out of the air ... but you get the point), there's no need (or justification) to generate static pages (which are pre-generated, HTML-only pages that are less server-intensive to serve).

Make sense?

(Personperson pretty much handled it, but I thought I'd chime in too.)

Cheers,

-stk :D

5 Oct 16, 2005 07:58

stk wrote:

Thepieman,

The sole purpose of a "static" page, is to lessen the load on the server. Each time someone requests your page, PHP code and the database need to be run and accessed. This is a drain on the server. But ONLY if you're receiving thousands of hits every minute.

Unless you're getting this kind of traffic (I pulled the "thousands of hits every minute" out of the air ... but you get the point), there's no need (or justification) to generate static pages (which are pre-generated, HTML-only pages that are less server-intensive to serve).

Make sense?

(Personperson pretty much handled it, but I thought I'd chime in too.)

Cheers,

-stk :D

Yes it does. Thanks a lot for your help ladies/gents!

Pie

Form is loading...