Recent Topics

1 Oct 21, 2005 06:35    

Hi, I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question... I tried searching for this question elsewhere on the forums but couldn't find it.

My question is, how do you display only a limited amount of text for a post on the main page? I don't see the option anywhere in any of my settings. To further clarify, instead of showing the entire post on the main page, which makes page-load time much slower with all the posts loading the full amount, how do I show only the first couple of paragraphs?

Also how do you display ocmments inline? I also don't see that setting anywhere, and trust me, I've been through every menu in the admin section.

I install this via a Fantastico script, in case anyone is wondering.

Thanks!

2 Oct 21, 2005 16:46

You can do this on a post-by-post basis, by using the !M button on the toolbar about the editor. That will insert the following comment:

<!--more-->

(Of course, you don't have to use the button - you can also add this to your post manaully)

The result is at that point in the post, there will be a "Read More" link that will take the user to the full post (to change the look / text of this link, see http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=446).

If you want it to do this to every post by default, you would probably have to do some hacking.

As for your second question, a quick search of "inline comments" found this thread: http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=4285.

Hope that helps.

3 Oct 21, 2005 19:23

Just to add to what Kweb said ...

There's also a pagination capibility. Sometimes, if you have a really long post, you can break it into pages. And there's a choice to display page numbers or (next/previous) as links. I've used this before, when posting a journal of one of our cycling adventures, where each day of the journal, was a page.

But ... if you just want to show a small amount on the main blog page (a teaser, it's called) ... use the <!--more--> option.

If you search the boards for more and teaser, there should be a lot of posts on the subject, as it's something that a lot of people, just starting out, want/need to learn about how to control.

Cheers,

-stk :D

Form is loading...