Recent Topics

1 Nov 10, 2005 20:22    

For lack of a better place to post this.

Am wondering about how best to solve the problem of Google spidering my site... I want it to, but I fear the the b2evo links are too long ... for instance a link on my site could look like

http://www.thinkgoodthoughts.com/blogs/index.php?blog=5&title=comment_to_simon_military_leaves_no_chil&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#comments

But Google's suggestion is:

Your pages are dynamically generated. We're able to index dynamically generated pages. However, because our web crawler could overwhelm and crash sites that serve dynamic content, we limit the number of dynamic pages we index. In addition, our crawlers may suspect that a URL with many dynamic parameters might be the same page as another URL with different parameters. For that reason, we recommend using fewer parameters if possible. Typically, URLs with 1-2 parameters are more easily crawlable than those with many parameters.

Any ideas?

2 Nov 10, 2005 20:59

Go to the blogs tab, select your blog, check the box that says "use extra path info". That gives you nice permalinks if your web host supports it.

3 Nov 11, 2005 08:05

Could be that my host supports it.... since I run the server out of my home I am pretty sure I can talk tech support into adding it..... ;)

Trouble, however. Having a hard time converting permalink into Apache-ese. What, exactly should I be looking for.... eg what questions should I be asking.. config, module, serverlet?

Thanks so far.

4 Nov 11, 2005 17:37

Did you enable extra path info in b2evolution? Did it work? You may not have to do anything to your server, it may support it already. If not then let us know what kind of errors you're seeing.

5 Nov 11, 2005 18:23

It has never been my experience that Apache came ready to do anything that doesn't take a little tweaking. .... Until now.

Worked like a charm!

Thanks tons.

6 Nov 11, 2005 21:47

Playmaker wrote:

Am wondering about how best to solve the problem of Google spidering my site...

Consider reading the following posts:

Form is loading...