Recent Topics

1 Nov 19, 2005 06:49    

Greetings :)

First let me say that I installed b2evolution because I run a forum and wanted my members to be able to start their OWN blogs.After installation and testing, and reading the FAQ's here, I am not sure if this is possible.

So that is my question,Is it possible for members to have their own personal blog, rather than a Group blog type of thing that I see so far.

Thank you for your time and help :)

2 Nov 19, 2005 08:06

Yes, very much so. In fact each member can have their own blog and their own linkblog if you like. You, as admin, will have to do the actual setup stuff for it. Like you will create the blog(s) and give them posting permissions in the blog, and give them permission to edit the blog. All those permissions are done on the blogs tab then selecting the new blog then clicking the permissions subtab.

If you have multiple bloggers writing in one blog you might want to consider a hack that stops blogger A from editing posts written by blogger B, but as long as you are thinking of one blog (and maybe one linkblog) per blogger you won't have to worry about that.

Keep in mind that all posts in all blogs come together in blog #1. It is an aggregating blog, so you simply don't give anyone permission to post in there and it's all good. I have an application where a few bloggers have their own blogs but we use blog 1 as the index page.

3 Nov 19, 2005 09:04

Thank you for your quick response EdB.b2evolution is very advanced so I can see that is going to take me some time to figure this out. So I will move slowly for fear my brain may explode :lol:

Another quick question if I may?

I made a few test posts and noticed that the Title of the post will not appear if you don't include a url.This is so confusing to me as I assumed the url to the post would automatically be set as it is in other blogs I have worked with (Wordpress).

Is there anyway to have my Title show up without adding a url or the url being automatically set.This confuses me and I know will confuse my members as well.

Thank you again :)

4 Nov 19, 2005 09:35

Hmmm... That's very confusing to me. The title should always show up above your posts. Oh wait a sec. I think if you post something in a blog used as a linkblog and don't have a 'link to url' it might not show up. It will if you visit the linkblog itself, but in general you would want to use the linkblog for links - not for a regular blog.

What version are you using? Got link we can see this problem happening at? Usually we can figure out a heck of a lot just by seeing the page with the problem.

If you're not using the .9.1 release you really should upgrade. There are some security patches that you'd need for older versions, plus .9.1 (dawn) is really smart about how it saves your server when it comes to shutting out the spammers.

Yeah. It's a pretty powerful program and takes a bit of learning to get the hang of it. I've noticed only smart people pick b2evolution, so I'm sure you'll get 'er done ;)

5 Nov 19, 2005 09:59

I will be honest and admit, I haven't yet really grasped the whole concept of the different types of blogs ( Blog A, Blog B ext. ).I chose one, renamed it and started trying to set that one up properly.

At this point, I'm just trying to create a simple Group Blog where all members can join and start blogging on whatever they like.

I think I'm running an up to date version... not sure as I did it via Fantastico.

I'm such a newbie at this :oops:

6 Nov 19, 2005 10:08

You have your title colour set to black ;)

.bTitle {
color: #000;
margin: 1ex 0;
}

¥

7 Nov 19, 2005 10:14

Actually my title thingy is blank... I didn't like the way it looked. :)

[Edit]

Do you see Cocoa Lounge Blog written in big pink letters? If so that is good enough for me :lol:

8 Nov 19, 2005 10:24

OMG... I feel so stupid :lol:

Thank you SOOOO much... all fixed :lol:

10 Nov 19, 2005 10:32

I see cocoa lounge in big white letters across the top, and titles for each post in a dark red.

So! You're using version 0.9.0.12. That's not bad, but .9.1 is much stronger so I'm sure you'll want to upgrade one day. Not to worry though: that can come after you get a bit comfortable with how the whole deal operates. When the time is right for that you'll need to get one file off your server, but not yet!

Hm! I clicked on reply exactly right before you posted your latest. If you're happy I'm happy. Now you should think about upgrading! The most important file to have from your server is _config.php in the conf folder. It has all the database connection stuff (and a little more) that Fantastico made for you.

11 Nov 19, 2005 13:32

Thanks EdB... I can get a friend to upgrade for me easy enough.

Thank you and ¥åßßå for your help.I have been trying to use b2 for about a year now but kept getting frustrated and deleting it away.I think this time may be a lil different :D

13 Nov 21, 2005 00:57

Is their a way to keep the links I add to the linkblog from showing up in my main blog?

14 Nov 22, 2005 18:17

You can exclude categories from the all blog, so if you change the categories, it might be a bit of a hassle. It's on here somewhere anyway, search will pick it up.

15 Nov 22, 2005 20:04

actually, the categories I don't mind showing up on the main blog (I want the categories to show)

I just don't want the links to the websites for my linkblog to show up as posted topics on the main blog.

If I use a seperate blog for the default then I lose the categories from all the other blogs from the sidebar.

Does this make sense?

Form is loading...