Recent Topics

1 Nov 21, 2005 19:46    

I'm planning to move all my categories from one blog to another. I've created a new blog in my admin panel. So where I had:

blog2, blog3, and blog4 (linkblog)

I now have:

blog2, blog3, blog4, and blog5 (new linkblog)

I'm planning to move everything (all categories and posts) from the old blog4 (linkblog) to the new blog5, mainly just to keep the linkblog as the last entry in the bloglist.
I'm planning to move one of the old categories from blog3, and making those categories the entirety of blog 4, which would now be empty.

I'm wondering about the following issues:

In the table "evo_categories" can I just reassign the 'cat_blog_ID' for each category that I'm moving, changing the number of the old blog to the number of the new? Are there any other tables/fields which would need to be edited to keep everything synched? Are there any other files anyplace in the core, which would need to be edited?

Also, assuming that the stubfile for the linkblog will be named the same as it was, will the path references to articles in the linkblog be the same as they were, since the stubname is the same?

Any other issues I might be overlooking?

jj.

2 Nov 21, 2005 23:08

better is : moving the categories trough the back-office.
change the file conf/_admin.php

And then assing your categories to another blog.

/** * Cross posting
 * Possible values:
 *   - 0 if you want users to post to a single category only
 *   - 1 if you want to be able to cross-post among multiple categories
 *   - 2 if you want to be able to cross-post among multiple blogs/categories
 *   - 3 if you want to be able to change main cat among blogs (which will move the
 *       posts from one blog to another; use with caution)
 * @global int $allow_cross_posting */
$allow_cross_posting = 1;

/** Moving chapters between blogs?
 * @global bool $allow_moving_chapters */
$allow_moving_chapters = false;

3 Nov 21, 2005 23:16

Is it the "allow_moving_chapters" piece changed to 'true', or just changing cross-posting to 2? I actually have crossposting set to 3 right now anyway, just overlooked that as a possibility. I guess I'm just trying to eliminate as much as possible the 'broken links in search engines' issue.

If I approach this as moving the posts by creating new categories in the new blog, then moving the posts to the new blog by crossposting and then removing the original post location, the same category name will have been assigned a new number within the original stubname structure and, hence, will have a different URL than the original post.

I figured if I could alter the reference in the table, then the category name would stay the same, the same stubname would be used for the new blog as the old, and that way no links will be broken in search engines.

jj.

4 Nov 22, 2005 13:16

Don't crosspost.

Just move the categories to another blog.

Change from false to true, and you will see in the backoffice that you can move the categories to another blog.

That point you won't have errors in your links.

Form is loading...