Recent Topics

1 Nov 22, 2005 06:59    

I cannot open the install php file in the installation folder.

It always ask me what I want to use to open it with. I haven't a clue.

I have Apache,MySQL & PHP 5 installed.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

I did spend hours tonight searching the forum, reading the manual and I'm at a complete loss.

2 Nov 22, 2005 07:34

your own server? sounds like a mime-type issue.

In your .htaccess add this:

AddType application/x-httpd-php	.php .php4 .php3 .phtml

that should take care of it.

3 Nov 22, 2005 16:20

Thank you for your reply. Yes I'm using my own server on a unused machine with my broadband. I've search in all the files and only found one sample.htaccess in the b2evolution/admin folder.

Do I need to create this? If so how? Just in notepad with the file name .htaccess?

4 Nov 22, 2005 17:08

yes, remember the . though when you put it on your server and it goes in the web root of your site.

apache does have built in mime-types and I never experienced any similar problems when I was running my own T1, so I cant say where you messed up compiling everything, but the .htaccess will work in the meantime.

An FYI, using Apache/MySQL, php, etc.. can be a great learning experience, however, the mere idea of you not understanding what an .htaccess is, and where it goes suggests to me that your pulling the cart before the horse. I reccommend doing alot of reading, apache docs, etc..and pick up a book if your actually attempting to do all of this on a non-windows box. Unfortunately, the trendiness of setting up your own uber-|33t nix box gets overshadowed by the fact that there are certain fundamentals that should be understood before doing anything else (if you want to be successful, atleast). :)

Good luck!

5 Nov 22, 2005 17:47

Are you trying to open it locally on the server, or using a web browser? You should be using a web browser to access it.

6 Nov 23, 2005 02:45

I'm running a machine with XP pro and set up Apache,SQL,PHP5,Myphpadmmin.

I used mozilla firefox browser to open the file. At first it would always ask for what program to open the install.php.

Now it comes up but with php scripting in prominence and unable to see actual install options.

I am a loss as to why it's not working. I've been through everything, I even HAVE READ BOOKS on this but cannot find out why the php scripting is not connecting to my sql.

8 Nov 29, 2005 05:10

I'm still not able to install php script but on a new install I got the following error message.

~~ PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library 'C:/www/php5/ext/php_mysqli.dll - The specified module could not be found. ~~

The .dll is in the /ext folder. I know this is the reason why it's not working but now I got an error to troubleshoot with. Thanks for all your previous advice and anymore ideas on how to make this module work.

Digby

9 Nov 29, 2005 17:04

now all I get is a blank screen when clicking on anything, still not getting the install button or go button. I give up.

10 Nov 29, 2005 19:34

This is a PHP/Webserver problem. It sounds like you've not setup WAMP (Windows, Apache, MySQL and PHP) correctly.

Please try [url=http://www.apachefriends.org/xampp.html]XAMPP[/url] to setup your webserver environment. It should be quick and easy.

It's really not easy, as whoo already pointed out, but do not give up so fast.. ;)

11 Nov 29, 2005 19:41

I was using something similar from DeveloperSide.NET and it does not work period. I just uninstalled everything.

I will try what you recommend.

I'm frustrated but challenged.

12 Nov 29, 2005 22:48

I just installed B2,Wordpress & Nucleus to compare side by side and it took less than 30 minutes to set up. Thank you for the link.

Form is loading...