Recent Topics

1 Nov 22, 2005 09:02    

I have a bunch of questions, but before I start I'd like to ask permission since this may be long and winded, and, ahem, forewarn.

2 Nov 22, 2005 09:12

Please submit links to any information if possible.

1. Can users be traced, tracked or referred so a relationship can be built with one another or be completely void if null (or if none exists)? This truly is also dependant on question No. 2 as well.

2. Can b2 be installed or automated on subdomains easily? Perhaps using a hack or in upcoming releases?

3. Can photos be uploaded with content easily?

4. Can photos be uploaded?

Thanks in advance,
Zeus

3 Nov 22, 2005 15:22

#3 and #4, yes photos can be uploaded and linked to each post fairly easily. There is a size limit (96k I believe) but that can be adjusted if necessary.

#1 and #2, Each user has a unique id in the database and so their actions in the blog are noted, but I wouldn't say their every movement is tracked.

I don't know about subdomain support. I believe that's slated for the next release (any week now).

4 Nov 22, 2005 19:55

i appreciate the response.

5 Nov 23, 2005 05:40

RE: upload size limit of 96k ... only an issue IF you use the 'built-in' image upload facility. If you FTP your own images to the same (or diff) folder ... no limit. ;)

It is possible to install the current release on subdomains (I have), but it takes 2 installs ( tho I have both using the same DB ).

As Nate says ... subdom support will be built-in on the next release (which has seemed to be "any week now" for many weeks! ;) , but now that I wrote that ... will prolly come out tomorrow!)

Can't answer the user thing (I'm the only blogger).

Hope this helps.

-stk :D

6 Nov 23, 2005 15:10

stk wrote:

RE: upload size limit of 96k ... only an issue IF you use the 'built-in' image upload facility. If you FTP your own images to the same (or diff) folder ... no limit. ;)

I think that's not necessary to FTP your photos due to their excessive size.
You can increase the default 96kb limit (very low, IMHO) by changing this limit in config/_admin.php, line 138 or something like this. I hacked it just two hours ago in 2048kb, but I think you could go up to 8 or 16mb!

Cheers,

Francesco

7 Nov 23, 2005 16:51

but I think you could go up to 8 or 16mb

I think the 8mb or 16mb limit is set in your php.ini file (which affects the php file upload limit for your entire server). If you have access to edit that file, then as far as I know, there is no limit on the size of the file you could upload (except maybe the free space on your hard drive).

8 Nov 23, 2005 17:49

okay ... you can hack a core file to up the limit, but I wouldn't recommend anyone loading up super large image files.

we try to keep the majority of our images between 30-50k (there are some exceptions, of course).

not everyone is on broadband and you dont' want dial-up visitors to curse your site b/c of large images

open the throttle for sure, but only use it for special situations.

-stk :)

9 Nov 23, 2005 18:04

I agree with that. The choice you made when coded the 96kb limit is reasonable to me (educate blog lame that upload 3mb images for each post), but in some cases this limit could be not enough (I would have coded about 200kb). In these cases, fortunately, we're open-sourced enough to tweak it as far as we want. Thank you guys, I'll never leave b2! :D

Form is loading...