Recent Topics

1 Nov 22, 2005 11:58    

I suggest a feature I'd like to see in b2's newer versions: in antispam tab, we all (unfortunately) get a lot of spam referers, and on the right of each one a "prohibition" red icon on which we click in order to get rid of them.
My two cents: could we swap that icon with a checkbox to select multiple entries and, at the end of the same page, a button "blacklist&erase"?

Glad to see some answers :D

Bye4now,

Francesco

2 Nov 22, 2005 15:50

The problem with that is that there are additional steps after you choose to blacklist something. You review the comments and referrals that are being removed, then decide if you want to report it to the central list. Most of the time I have to adjust the blacklisted keyword at this point, too. For example, if the referral came from

prescriptions.spamcentral.com

I would want to change it to

spamcentral.com

and then click 'Check & Ban' to see if the more general keyword finds more items to block. So, in my opinion, you really need to do them one at a time.

If you want to make the spam easier to manage, I suggest you get this hack:

http://wonderwinds.com/hackblog.php/2005/09/18/antispam_rechecking_dawn

Then if you want to make it even easier, read the first comment there and use the cron script to make it all automatic.

3 Nov 23, 2005 06:03

I'm of two minds on this and I'll add a couple of cents of my own, though Danny should know that I'm no anti-spam guru ;)

In some of the spammed blogs I've seen, referral spam tend to come in batches ... (I've seen over 100 from the same site). It clogs that list.

I'd rather see a UNIQUE referral list, sorted by COUNT.

Then, the checkbox option that Papzadsl suggests might make more sense ... as I often just (1) delete comments/trackbacks (2) clear the hitlog & then (3) report (as is).

Because referrals also come with different subdoms, but the same main dom ... I'll just type the "mainDom" in the 'search-and-destroy' part of the antispam tab and let it find ALL ... and clear things that way. It's faster, but I've noticed that if you don't act fast enough ... you're left waiting for the entire contents of the anti-spam list to load. (Good news there ... as the Dawn release fixes this problem ... the list will only show IF you "ask" for it ... not every time the anti-spam tab is clicked ... a nice bonus for upgrading!!)

I could see even having each of these OPTIONS that are selected for all those referrers checked (but they'd ALL have to handled the same).

-stk :D

4 Nov 23, 2005 06:21

I'd rather see a UNIQUE referral list, sorted by COUNT.

You do get something like that when you go to the Stats tab and scroll down to Top Referrers.

5 Nov 23, 2005 06:37

yeah .. yer right .. damn (again)!

I never use the red "ban" symbol, so never thought to off the top referrer list.

Maybe I should just shut up about anything anti-spam?! :-/

(have to add myself to the blacklist :lol: )

-stk :D

Form is loading...