Recent Topics

1 Nov 22, 2005 22:48    

Greetings everybody...

I'm having some installion problems with b2evo and was wondering if someone could help answer a few general questions I have. Firstly, I have some experience with PHP & MySql, but am no more than a beginner at best.

Ok, so this is the scenario. I created a DB using MySQL on a local windows server, called it b2evolution(like instructions said). I uploaded all of the files to my remote host, and can access both the index.php & the phpinfo.php fine.

When I goto start the quick install, it comes back with this:

MySQL error!

Error establishing a database connection!

(Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111))

1. Are you sure you have typed the correct user/password? 
2. Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname? 
3. Are you sure that the database server is running? 

So my questions are.

1) I know my provider has PHP, and I have that enabled. Do I need to do anything special to have a MySQL database run?
2) When I created the DB, it put in a folder called "b2evolution", but the file name itself is just db.opt. Do I put the whole folder inside the blog folder? or do I need to point to the db.opt itself?
3) Am I over looking anything? I know this is a broad question, but I'm thinking I'm just missing something minor. From the phpinfo file everything looks like it's setup fine.

Any help would be great :D

2 Nov 22, 2005 22:55

The MySQL database needs to be accessible from the internet. Ideally, you would host the database with your web host rather than on a local machine. If your files are on a remote server and your database is on your local computer, then 'localhost' won't work as the database host, because the remote server thinks of localhost as itself, not as the computer the browser is running on. Check with your host. They probably provide mysql hosting.

3 Nov 22, 2005 23:02

personman wrote:

The MySQL database needs to be accessible from the internet. Ideally, you would host the database with your web host rather than on a local machine. If your files are on a remote server and your database is on your local computer, then 'localhost' won't work as the database host, because the remote server thinks of localhost as itself, not as the computer the browser is running on. Check with your host. They probably provide mysql hosting.

No, I uploaded the DB also...I will check with myhosting to see if thier is anything special I need to do.. But, 1 other question....instead of localhost, could I use the IP address of the server, and does that require a path with?

Form is loading...