Recent Topics

1 Jan 03, 2006 18:57    

First off please forgive me if this has been asked before. I have spent alot of time trying to figure this out myself and looking through tons of post on these forums looking for an answer.

Ok, I've installed b2evo on my server which I might add is at my house. I'm running apache on windows and have php and mysql installed as well. The install seemed to go well but the problem I'm having is when I use one of my other pc's to acces my site I get to see the front page, but it's full of broken links, no background picture etc etc. If I click on anything on the page I then get page can not be displayed. Now my server's root is c:\www\webroot\ and I have installed b2evo at c:\www\webroot\vampincblog\blogs\ so on my server I can goto http://127.0.0.1/vampincblog/blogs/ and it's fine but when I use another machine and use my ip http://192.***.*.*/vampincblog/blogs/ I get the problem I've mentioned. I have no trouble at all seeing my website this way.
Also when I click to create a static html I get Generating static page for blog [Goth Blog]
404 Not Found
b2evolution cannot resolve the requested URL.
The static file name is left at a.html

Maybe because I'm really tired but what seemed easy to begin with is not turning out that way.

I really hope someone can help me. Thanks for all your time and help on this matter.

BTW, I will be able to let users register and create there own blogs correct?

2 Jan 04, 2006 06:07

I'll start with your last question. No, you'll have to create blogs and give users permission to post on the blogs.

For your first question: You can browser static pages from other computers? What about other PHP/MySQL programs (like phpBB)? Do they work? Could be something with your Windows box's firewall. I've never bothered installing apache on a Windows computer, so those are the only guesses I have.

3 Jan 04, 2006 08:45

Ok, Maybe I wrote that question wrong, So If I create the blogs and the catagory's etc, people can register and post in those blogs and catagory's I've created if I have given them permission correct?

Ok now I know it's not a windows firewall issue so I'm not really worried or concerned about that.
I have the following installed:
Apache 2.0.48
Perl 5.8.2
mod_perl 1.99_10
Apache::ASP 2.55
MySQL 4.0.17
DBI
DBD::mysql
Net::MySQL
DBD::mysqlPP
phpMyAdmin 2.5.4
analog 5.32
Apache::ASP
CGI
Compress::Zlib
DBD::mysql
DBD::mysqlPP
DBI
Devel::Symdump
FCGI
HTML::Parser
HTML::Tagset
HTML::Template
Image::Size
MLDBM
MLDBM::Sync
Net::MySQL
SOAP::Lite
URI
Win32
libwww-perl
mod_perl

I'm sorry if you did'nt need to know any of that, But I wanted to make sure you knew exactly what I had.

It seems to me that all of these work fine with no problems. I can test them on my server and they all work without issues. Now for example if I goto log into phpMyAdmin from another pc other than my server I do not have access. phpMyAdmin I can only log into from the server pc. I noticed you asked me about phpbb, I don't think I have that nor do I honestly know what it is. Could this be the problem? I'll look up phpbb as soon as I get done posting.

Thanks again for your time and yoru responce.

4 Jan 04, 2006 09:18

Ok, I found out about phpbb2 and I installed it just to see if I had any issues with it. It's installed without any problems. I use another pc (not my server) and I can goto my phpbb index page, everything looks the way it should look. One problem though, when I log in with my user name and password I am taken to a page can not be displayed html.

5 Jan 04, 2006 09:54

Hello again,

heh, I know you guys don't care about phpbb but I'm just letting you know that yes I did have a error trying to login outside of my server pc. But I read their forums and they have a cookie mod, well after I installed and used this mod now I have no troubles using my phpbb board from any pc in my house. I did clear my cookies, temp internet files etc and I thought maybe it would help me with b2evo but I still am having the same issues. But I thought this information might be useful to someone, or I hope maybe it would give someone and idea of what might be wrong.

But bottom line is that I know now that mysql, php, etc are working correctly so there is not an issue there.

Thanks again for all and any help and your time.

Vamp

6 Jan 04, 2006 12:27

I don't suppose you have 127.0.0.1 as your base url in conf/_config.php ?

¥

7 Jan 04, 2006 14:56

ummm yea that's what it says why is that wrong? what should it say? localhost?

8 Jan 04, 2006 15:00

I changed it to localhost instead of 127.0.0.1 and there is no difference. :(

9 Jan 04, 2006 15:08

Change the baseurl to the IP address you're trying to use to access the blog from the other computers:

http://192.***.*.*/vampincblog/blogs/

Think about this and you'll understand what's happening. All of the links and image paths use the baseurl to build an absolute url. So, if you're using 127.0.0.1 or localhost, then when you click on a link from another computer, it's looking for the data on it's own hard drive, rather than on your server. Change the baseurl to the same address you're trying to access and you should be fine.

Now, back to the question I answered first. You will have to manually give users permission to post on your blog after they've registered.

10 Jan 04, 2006 15:35

I understand what your saying, thanks, I changed it to what you told me to, but yet still no change, and I know it is changing because when I go into my settings of my blogs I can see there what I have changed. I also still get this:Generating static page for blog [Goth Blog]
404 Not Found
b2evolution cannot resolve the requested URL.
when I try and create a static page.

11 Jan 04, 2006 15:40

If you get an error when trying to generate a static page, then make sure that the file you're trying to generate exists and is writable. Is that the only place you're getting the error, or do you still have broken links in the blog?

Are you planning on eventually running this on a real public server? If so, you may just want to skip the "Playing around with it on your local Windows server" stage and install it to your server. It would probably work fine at that point, but if it didn't then we would actually be able to see what's happening ourselves.

12 Jan 04, 2006 15:58

I know I'm tired now......After starting out messing around with this, getting frustrated then starting on phpbb, getting that all set up and now back to this. I seem to of forgotten one small thing...... Clear my cookies!! I feel so stupid now, But I want to thank you personman for your help. Thanks to you it's up and running. But I'm honestly to tired to do anything else with it at this moment. But at least it's working so when I'm ready I can start on it fresh.

A real public server? Ummm I host my websites etc on my windows/apahce server and have for a while now with no issues. I have my own domain name and all the name servers etc. But as far as paying someone to host my sites for me? Probably not, I don't need much, mainly a few friends etc visit my site and family and friends can see what I've been up to etc. I don't get the traffic or visitors to demand paying for hosting.

So in my opinion I was not just playing around, I would not waste my time or anyone elses to just get it working inside a network.

Thanks again for all your help, you have been great and to the point. I hope you and everyone else has a happy new year!

Form is loading...