Recent Topics

1 Mar 09, 2006 17:51    

Since Monday I have been geting this error. No matter how many times I delete the DB and create a new one, or ask, (I have a stack of emails to my host's support team since Monday right through to this morning), support to help me out, I keep getting this error:

---------------------------------------
MySQL error!
Error establishing a database connection!

(Access denied for user: 'rbruce@localhost' (Using password: YES))

Are you sure you have typed the correct user/password?
Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname?
Are you sure that the database server is running?
------------------------------------------

Now I think this is a simple error to fix and even easier for a support team to help me fix.

WRONG!

No matter what combination or new passwords or newly named DBs I enter, nothing happens. Since Monday it looks as if b2 install or MySQL has stumped the boys (both day & nightshift support teams at Pipex) and so far I have not had any luck or an answer out of them that shows some progress.

Can anyone here help me?

2 Mar 10, 2006 08:34

Well, the overwhelming support here is astounding!

I think I will trash B2 and go with Wordpress. Their support is prompt.

3 Mar 10, 2006 16:23

Usually if no one answers right away it's because they don't have an answer for you. If your problem has stumped multiple teams of support providers at your webhost there's a high likelihood it's going to stump those of us who help out here as well.

Sorry to see you go, but thanks for waiting nearly 15 hours for a reply before you left us.

4 Mar 10, 2006 17:09

Nate you're a lot more polite than I'd have bothered with. The "person" has a problem that his host can't figure out - a host I assume he's paying for, and wants to throw a fit at those who don't have a free answer for a free product?

What.Ev.Er.

6 Mar 10, 2006 18:22

Well, the 15 hour comment was meant to be slightly sarcastic. ;)

7 Mar 10, 2006 18:25

Thanks guys. Y'see my wife is right. She gets my attention whenever she throws her toys out of the pram!!

My frustration boiled over. Bad of me to let it happen. I apologise.

I cn honestly say that I want this to work. To coin a phrase, I like the cut of its jib. All I need is for the support crew at my host to respond to my trouble ticket and provide resolution.

Today I think I found part of the answer myself which is something they should have picked up and advised me about but failed. I sent them my view that the password to the server was not correct!

I shall perservere. Blog rules! OK?! 8|

PS: By the way EdB dya know what a Glasgow kiss is? :D

8 Mar 10, 2006 19:29

Robert Bruce wrote:

PS: By the way EdB dya know what a Glasgow kiss is? :D

Nope, but I've a feeling I'll be googling it pretty soon...

So what did you learn? I was going to (sarcastically) ask if you've built the database you're trying to connect to. I always use Fantastico to make new databases, then immediately drop all the tables and delete all the files prior to installing the latest and greatest and telling it "make me a new installation". In other words, I don't personally know that b2evolution will create your database, and even if it will I guess maybe the hosting site might not allow programs to do that.

Another thing I'll pick up on here is that you've got a database user that looks like an email ID. Not that it is mind you - just that it has an @ in it and none of mine do. My username and database name always happen to be the same thing, my password is a string of characters, and my host is always 'localhost'. It's possible that you've got one of those things out of whack?

Something else popped into my head but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was.

Hey I hope you get it all worked out even if you find b2evolution to be not the thing you need. None of us in here get anything for helping out, other than a personal feel-good for helping out. If you think WP is the package for you then go for it and enjoy, but slamming the help here on the way out isn't gonna make us forum junkies all warm and fuzzy eh?

9 Mar 10, 2006 19:33

LOL, yer gonna put the nut on EdB? 8|

Have you got any closer to a solution?

If not, a few things that might help narrow it down, are you on a windows or nix server? what version of php are you running? what version of mysql are you running? can you install other software that uses mysql (phpbb etc)?

Do you know that the 2nd capital of Scotland is Blackpool? :|

¥

10 Mar 13, 2006 07:04

Robert Bruce: I came across this error as well when I tried to upgrade to the new 1.6 from 0.9.*.

So what I did was remove the install and reinstalled it using Fantastico. Saved the _config.php locally then looked inside it and discovered that the password for the DB was something totally unique. Once I entered that into the install script I was able to update.

Hope this helps.

11 May 29, 2006 23:07

just to let you know in case you were unaware, that is the correct syntax for a dbase connection username and password. username @ database. i have had enough of those errors to know that much. hope bruce got his issue resolved.

God Bless the Support Crew with B2

12 May 30, 2006 00:36

From the "sparkle" package conf/_config.php:

/**#@+
 * MySQL settings. Fill in your database details (check carefully or nothing will work!)
 */
define( 'DB_USER', 'demouser' );      // your MySQL username
define( 'DB_PASSWORD', 'demopass' );  // ...and password
define( 'DB_NAME', 'b2evolution' );   // the name of the database
define( 'DB_HOST', 'localhost' );     // mySQL Server (typically 'localhost')
/**#@-*/

From the "phoenix" package conf/_config.php:

/**
 * MySQL DB settings.
 * Fill in your database details (check carefully or nothing will work!)
 */
$EvoConfig->DB = array(
	'user'          => 'demouser',     // your MySQL username
	'password'      => 'demopass',     // ...and password
	'name'          => 'b2evolution',  // the name of the database
	'host'          => 'localhost',    // MySQL Server (typically 'localhost')
);

Given that this forum exists to support b2evolution and that b2evolution uses two distinct fields for user and password when connecting to the database I'd have to say, with regard for the point of this forum, that connecting with an @ joining the user and password is not the right way to go. I suppose one could connect to a database with user @ password, but that's not the way b2evolution connects is the thing.

13 Jan 08, 2007 19:46

Hi everybody,

I am getting the same MYSQL connection error as Robert Bruce mention. I saw the config files and the settings but don't understand where the username and password is stored on the database side. I am familiar with databases in general but not a MYSQL guru. I could not find a table where the user name seems to be stored. And if I create a new user in the mysql user table and grant rights to the blog tables it did not change anything.
I know my user and password but it won't allow my to connect to MYSQL even manually in a a shell window. Otherwise the tables and data in there exists.
Is there a piece of the SQL install script I can rerun? Or a create user command on a database level?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks for keeping the blog working and all the efforts invested.

Rolf

Robert Bruce wrote:

Since Monday I have been geting this error. No matter how many times I delete the DB and create a new one, or ask, (I have a stack of emails to my host's support team since Monday right through to this morning), support to help me out, I keep getting this error:

MySQL error!
Error establishing a database connection!

(Access denied for user: 'rbruce@localhost' (Using password: YES))

Are you sure you have typed the correct user/password?
Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname?
Are you sure that the database server is running?
------------------------------------------

Now I think this is a simple error to fix and even easier for a support team to help me fix.

WRONG!

No matter what combination or new passwords or newly named DBs I enter, nothing happens. Since Monday it looks as if b2 install or MySQL has stumped the boys (both day & nightshift support teams at Pipex) and so far I have not had any luck or an answer out of them that shows some progress.

Can anyone here help me?

14 Jan 08, 2007 23:25

With the exception of looking at my config file, I've never seen my dbase's password anywhere. Using the mysql feature through cpanel I can see my database name, and the username that has perms in that database, and using localhost always works for me, but I've never seen the password anywhere. Except the config files.

I'll suggest talking to your host and asking them what is the password for whichever database you're trying to connect to.

BTW I always use fantastico to install stuff, then - after grabbing the config info - delete the files and empty the database. To me it's quicker than asking the host and waiting for an answer.

15 Jan 09, 2007 21:43

Thanks for the hints but I was able to figure it out. I donwloaded the MYSQL Administrator package, added a user to the db, and granted rights to the b2evolution blog database. After restarting MYSQL it worked like a charm.

BTW, I am hosting my own website at home that's why I was aksing ;-).

Form is loading...