Recent Topics

1 May 08, 2006 22:45    

i apologize for butting in and asking a stupid question, but...

see, i've already had pretty decent success w/ a b2ev blog-- which, in my opinion, is saying something-- because it ain't easy :)
(that's not to say it's too diff... or bad... just it's powerful and complex...)

so, i installed this new b2ev (see-- i like it! ;), but i can't remember how to do certain stuff because i had my other b2ev setup for my rock band (which is a GREAT use for a b2ev, by the way-- if you care to market is as such, i'd be delighted to even draw up a little tutorial / instructions for "a try this..." type thing) -- but it was private, and the directory was password protected-- so there was NO getting in there, unless i let you in via giving a password through cPanel. i can't do that this time.

anyway-- this new blog, i want it to be for a friend's wedding, so i want to have users be able to register themselves-- to a degree as powerful as possible w/out my intervention-- going off of the idea that if we capture their interest, we don't expect the attention span to necessarily last too long... (see, we're going to basically spam the invited friends to come to the blog and say good stuff, be retrospective, etc... like a wedding gift-- but they are friends of course, and they're invited to the wedding-- so, it's NOT really spam... but you get the idea..) so we want them to read the email, check the site-- login-- everything be really easy, and let them post... and if they like, come back, if not-- no big deal...

i know it sounds like a "guestbook" would be fair enough, huh? well-- it's difficult to explain, but i think that many of these people would be into writing and commenting, etc., and so on-- the artistic types, dig?

anyway-- sorry for the story-- but, i wanted you to know why i'm looking for this kind of user registraion-- after some point, i would just disable user reg altogether, so i'm not worried about Risk really at this point... it's likely not going to be on the ro-bot radar by the time the wedding's over anyway... ya think?

2 May 10, 2006 17:08

Understand about the SPAMMING issue and agree, the timeframe will be too short to draw attention and by the time it does, it will be closed anyway.

My only initial thought is that it's a bit of a hammer to crack a nut. Everyone will have to register (not ANOTHER username/password to remember) ... get used to the interface ... overcome any learning or posting problems ... all just (maybe) to say a few words.

I don't know how many people you're talking about (you didn't say), but I'd maybe OFFER a login, to those who feel comfortable/want it. Then simply accept any other sentiments in any form they come at you (Word, email, snail-mail, attached pictures, etc) ... then just transcribe them into posts yourself.

It may sound like a lot of work, but I bet in the end, you'll have more sentiments captured and it'll be less work than all the hand-holding, customization and support you'll provide if everyone has to get their own login account.

Just my 2 cents (Which, being in Canada, is worth more every day! ;) )

3 Jun 09, 2006 16:30

adesigninteractive wrote:

anyway-- this new blog, i want it to be for a friend's wedding, so i want to have users be able to register themselves-- to a degree as powerful as possible w/out my intervention-- going off of the idea that if we capture their interest, we don't expect the attention span to necessarily last too long... (see, we're going to basically spam the invited friends to come to the blog and say good stuff, be retrospective, etc... like a wedding gift-- but they are friends of course, and they're invited to the wedding-- so, it's NOT really spam... but you get the idea..) so we want them to read the email, check the site-- login-- everything be really easy, and let them post... and if they like, come back, if not-- no big deal...

it's a great idea for a wedding gift. would you like to be interviewed for a piece for a wedding magazine "blogs... the latest wedding gift"? could be quite a funky article... those magazines love that stuff...

4 Jun 09, 2006 16:43

D681A5 wrote:

... those magazines love that stuff...

yeah the more i think about it... gotta get some zeitgeist going... homemade wedlogs... sweeping the nation...
ANYONE ELSE GOT A WEDLOG STORY?? ties to online wedding lists, photos, organising guests, e-invites, gifts like this funky idea from adesigninteractive B)

5 Jun 09, 2006 19:56

You know your wedding guests right? And you know the family and friends that would love to be there but can't, so just kick out a list of login names and create a password for each of them. In other words pre-register them. Give each guest their info and hope for the best.

6 Jul 14, 2006 00:28

hey there! i'm terribly sorry for such a delayed reply. (wow! and i really did ramble up there, so thank you for your input. i appreciate it!)

i think STK was on the money w/ his prediction. however, it's a skewed statistic-- meaning, after i got into it, i realized i only had 3 current email addresses, so it was hardly a mailing campaign. I also agree about the consolidated sentiment-- the idea of allowing something simple for people who don't care to learn the whole b2ev complexity.

i was really hoping to get some discourse going on there though. i guess i got a little overly excited about it-- not to mention, it was whimsical and ill prepared, and much to close to the wedding date. i should have tried to do it a year ago-- to have given myself the time to style it appropriately, and include some sentimental pictures in the theme, etc-- that would really have been cool.

D681A5, if you're still out there, feel free to hit me up for whatever you had in mind. contact me directly by sending to FedoraCore at Centre Web Design (all one word) dot com. (please note the spelling of centre).

as a brief follow up-- since i sensed an interest-- the wedding was beautiful-- at a place in, or near Corbin, Kentucky (i forget the name of the falls where the camp is... chattanuga? chesapeake?). totally recommend that place-- the cabins were so awesome... supposedly like 200 bucks a nite for these cabins complete w/ AC, two huge bedrooms, a 'main room' w/ fireplace i think, a kitchen, and an outdoor little deck! and that wasn't even the really nice ones! we decided that it would be neat, since the blog didn't catch on before the wedding, that it would be cool to use after the wedding for when everyone got their pictures back, etc. I think, if everyone involved were a little older and the men had wives to remind us, we'd probably have done it. as it is, i think we all forgot about it. so it goes.

thanks again for your input.
js

EDIT:
EdB, i don't know how i missed it, but in agreement w/ you-- indeed that would have been the best way to do it. i didn't know the list of invites, however, and i was trying to keep it a secret from the bride and groom-- to present it as a "group" gift that they could enjoy later. i guess there's a lot of ways that something like that could be done.

oh, and i should have mentioned, i used Blog A for the "memories, retrospective, nostalgia" and Blog B for an "On the way to Kentucky" thing where i envisioned the guests organizing perhaps staying in the same hotel, etc. Another way to do it, i suppose could have been before and after (blog a, and b) and keep the Links blog for stuff like "nice resturants and hotels in the area". b2ev-- the perfect way to plan a wedding!!
;)

7 Apr 02, 2009 10:02

Dear John White
I've deleted all your "Wonderful Posting. Actually I was looking for some thing like this.Thnx" crap.

Buzz off

8 May 18, 2009 19:07

John wrote:

Dear John White...Buzz off

...uh... huh? [ edit: 'take-off, eh!']

Hey, D681A5, did y'ever do that funky article?
if so, do share the URL, eh?

you caught that, eh?, right stk? eh?... :-)

hey, stk-- ever hit the Toronto Festival of beer? what a great shindig that is, eh?
;-)
(naw, seriously! -- and i say "eh?", all the time-- prob from Bob n Doug McKenzie ya hose-head! take off, eh!)

9 May 18, 2009 19:48

adesigninteractive wrote:

John wrote:

Dear John White...Buzz off

...uh... huh? [ edit: 'take-off, eh!']

John.White was slapped into the black hole we lovingly call the spam box, and all his banal crap was deleted, hence your confusion ;) ... eh ;)

¥

Form is loading...