Recent Topics

1 May 14, 2006 22:00    

I've posted nearly 100 articles... but I'm having issues with 1 of them... Here's a sample...

Don't Need That Toaster? Freecycle It

By: Justin Kaiser

Last month we talked about Cleaning Up Your Computer. This month, we discuss what to do with the rest of the clutter in your home. If you are tired of bringing your stuff to the dump then you need to know to about a new trend called Freecycling. Freecyle.org was created by Deron Beal, an environmentally friendly resident of Arizona who doesn't like to see usable items winding up at the local dump. Beal runs a nonprofit that provides recycling for downtown businesses and was constantly being offered desks, cabinets and other items that businesses no longer wanted.

Since Freecycle.org was launched in 2003, the first group was launched in Tucson in May 2003, Freecycle.org groups have cropped up in over 400 cities including a group for Iroquois County that has nearly 300 members with one rule - everything offered or requested must be free.

Periodically, there are offers and requests that are quite bizarre. One post asks for wings, feathers, stuffed armadillos, bones and glue "for extreme art purposes." He went on to specify "no human remains please" and "nothing that has been killed specifically for this request."

Other items that have recently found homes:
Boxes of computer parts (By yours truly for the Tech For Youth program.)

Old socks (for craft purposes).

A five-person hot tub.

A bunch of stuff on the corner of a block in Paxton.

And many more items including the kitchen sink. Even in Iroquois County, there are is a large amount of business in household furnishings.

Beal, Frecycles founder, loves the fact that Freecycle is helping to create communities around the world from London to Singapore. While picking up the computer parts from a nice fellow in Kankakee, I had an enjoyable time discussing the business and how we can touch kids lives. People are meeting while exchanging baby clothes and creating play dates.

With Freecycle.org, giving is as important as taking. In some groups, there is an informal rule that a new member's first post should be an offering.
Group moderators say that the groups are growing rapidly and thriving. Some fall away, others stick around and are converted to the Freecycle way of life.

Illiana On Call wants to be your Technology Advisor. If you have any comments or questions about this article, maybe you want to share your experiences, drop me a line! I can be reached at justin@IllianaOnCall.com.

I want to invite you to get the latest computer and technology news, information, entertainment, and Virus updates by signing up for our weekly (or more as needed) newsletter. It's free and will keep you up to date with the latest news that you can understand. Sign up and receive a bonus report in your e-mail today at www.TechForToday.com.

I receive this error...

The webpage cannot be found
HTTP 404
Most likely causes:
There might be a typing error in the address.
If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.

What you can try:
Retype the address.

Go back to the previous page.

Go to techfortoday.com and look for the information you want.

More information

2 May 14, 2006 22:04

So ... uh... what's the problem? What exactly are you seeing that makes you say you're having problems posting this? What version of b2evolution are you running? Got a link where we can see the blog in question? Linkage helps a lot more than one might imagine.

4 May 14, 2006 22:14

I wonder if there is a character combination that is causing this, I just can't seem to find it...

Form is loading...