Recent Topics

1 May 23, 2006 22:36    

I've ignored a lot of codes and deleted a lot of files and even removed the display of trackbacks on the blog but I just cannot TURN OFF the stupid thing. It's getting so much spam I don't even want the feature. I tried deleting the comments table, but that produced an error. And I don't know how to remove the links to the tracktacks and comments on the site. I need help.

After sending a warning of legal action against higha ltitudeimports . com below I began receiving spam from other servers. I still have hundreds of emails from hig haltitudeimp orts . com. How do I go about suing them for spam?

Blog: Arts ( /index.php?blog=2 )
Post: Afrofuturism at SPACES Gallery ( /index.php?blog=2&p=7&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1 )
### edited by whoo to remove spammy url ###
Comment: /index.php?blog=2&p=7&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#c8
<strong>Arts</strong><br />NEAs mission is to "foster the excellence, diversity andPrograms in three major areas: grants, education, a...

Blog: Computers ( /index.php?blog=4 )
Post: Cleveland's WiFi Movement ( /index.php?blog=4&p=8&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1 )
### edited by whoo to remove spammy url ###
Comment: /index.php?blog=4&p=8&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#c1
<strong>Unclaimed money in california</strong><br />32 unsupported print cartridge Grown man business Cheap musical tickets Honda prelude pictures The library card by jerry spinelli Bonds for education Highland floor liners Carroll county tax assessor Services sql server 2000 New business trends Infospe...

### post edited by whoo to remove and break spammy urls ###

2 May 23, 2006 22:47

this isnt related to the central antispam blacklist, is it?
and not to be rude or insensitive (I feel your pain, honestly), but what is your question? Your topic title seems to be asking one thing, but the only "real" question within your post is asking about how to sue..

Im confused.

if your getting trackback OR comment spam, you can remove the files responsible for submission, and that will surely solve your problem.

As for suing, contact an attorney.

Im off to work, so I'll let someone move this thread to a better place in my absence. Or Ill take care of it when I get home.

PS: You might want to edit your post to remove the links back to their site -- youre providing exactly what theyre looking for.

3 May 23, 2006 22:48

This post describes how to only allow comments for logged in users:
http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=7907

To turn off trackbacks, go to the blogs, tab, select your blog, then go to the advanced subtab and remove the checkmark next to "Allow trackbacks". Then click save.

4 Jun 10, 2006 02:50

OK? How do you remove comments and trackbacks completely?

5 Jun 10, 2006 03:32

First things first: use the antispam tools you have available. You'd be surprised how much spam the antispam central system will block, but you've got to use it to make it work.

To turn off trackbacks go to your back office, blogs tab, select a blog, select 'advanced' subtab, and uncheck the trackback box. To disable comments you'll have to do it post by post by selecting the 'disabled' option for comments on each post, or, figure out a hack to make that be the default value. For existing posts you can go into your database via phpmyadmin and change them all that way if you're hip to phpmyadmin stuff.

Keep in mind none of this will stop them from spamming you. All it stops is you getting the spam. Since you can't stop them from actually trying to spam you I suggest you upgrade to 0.9.2 because, among other things, it saves your server a ton of work before rejecting spammers listed in your local antispam table.

6 Jun 21, 2006 23:10

Burnt Food Dude,

If this works, don't cook anything for me!! Just a beer will work. ;)

I'm thinking this way on yer disabling all comments/trackbacks thing. (First a disclaimer ... I agree with Ed ... don't bail on comments (trackbacks, yes). Use the anti-spam tools that are there. However ... if you STILL want to kill comments/trackbacks ... keep going) ;)

1) Comment out the comments/trackback/pingback LINKS in your skin's _main.php template file (keeps visitors from seeing the front end).

2) You could also comment out the includes for those three too (so feedback.php won't ever be called, even if someone tries to access it by typing it in directly). That whole block could probably go.

3) Then, to make sure that the spammers can't FIND what they need, REMOVE your server copies of comment_post.php and trackback.php (both in the HTSRV directory).

4) If you're really anal, you could flush your comments table using myphpAdmin too, then you wouldn't have any _last_comments.php or anything. (You could even comment out the the "case" php statement out of _main.php too, so that "disp=comments" (last comments) isn't even shown). :D

None of these are hard to do and (if you don't actually DELETE the comment_post.php and trackback.php, but just move them to your local machine) ... you could always reverse all this stuff and reinstate comments.

Hope this helps.

Form is loading...