Recent Topics

1 Jun 03, 2006 08:58    

this is really strange - evo does everything except the most difficult thing: auto link a new created blog correctly. :'(

I utterly don't understand the language for the "stub" - so, my blog does not show up at all. :oops:

For some reason the original "b" blog disappeared totally, only the A and the Link Blog is working.

I installed just fine, went the first time in to admin, created categories, titled all 3 blogs, but the B blog never worked.

I really would appreciate if some one could tell me in NORMAL english,
the simplest method to have a new blog show up, a simple "stub" code and where the heck to place the "stub file correctly in the entire blog directory.

I took 5 hours to search the entire documentation and found no clear answer to any of these problems.

Maybe in here someone knows what to do.
Appreciate any help :idea: - am desparate, have to have the blog finished by tomorrow.

2 Jun 03, 2006 09:58

The simplest method is to not bother with a stub file, but you really have to start at the beginning. BTW a link would help a lot believe it or not. Like you, we can't always figure out what someone (or some documentation) means eh? Anyway I'll just randomly guess you're using version 0.9.2 and go from there.

On your blogs tab select a blog and notice where it says "Preferred access type". If you've checked the radio button for "Other blog through stub file (Advanced)" then, like it says, you've got to create the stub file. In the root folder of your installation you've got a file called "a_stub.php" which is (get ready) a stub file. Open it in an editor, change the line that says "$blog = 2;" to whatever blog number you're working on, then save the file (in your installation's root directory) as whatever you want to call this stub file. Now back on your blogs tab where you selected the blog in question put the new file name in the field for "URL blog name / Stub name". Save it. Be happy.

But back to the simplest method. Check the radio button for "Other blog through index.php" and don't worry about stub files. Since we're in that neighborhood you should have ONE blog selected for "Default blog on index.php". I think that's right. I'm not sure if I created a stub called index.php or just checked that particular radio button.

3 Jun 03, 2006 10:06

Hi, great you're up - LOL
I read a previous post of yours with that precise explanation = I did "exactly" as told: copy the a stub file, etc.
nothing works now at all: using the url without php = produces 404 error, and with the php = produces requested Blog does not exist!

something is really screwy - because I looked at the blog number in the code [blog 3] - but the file shows ALWAYS just blog 2 [which I had named Mars Art News], Blog 3 is named Mars Art - it shows up at the main blog - but clicking on it simply gives me Blog 2 [News] always.
The url that works is the Link Blog - thats all that works at this point.
Short of re-installing that whole thing - I am at a loss.
http://www.marsart.org/blogs/index.php/links

4 Jun 03, 2006 10:27

Hi, I got the Blog A [Mars Art News} to work again,
but the Blog B - although identical setup [permission, explcit acces etc. - simply does not recognize the artstub file - because it does not show a html file in the Blog List, no matter what I do. :(

I really don't care at this point anymore what setup I need to have [without stubs is fine with me]
but then how can I let our users create their own blog on our site, they know less than I do, they would never be able to make a blog and administer it, if it is that difficult and time consuming.

I have not even yet started to customize anything - just trying to get the basic set up - but it does not seem to like me at all.
I had TYPO3, which I dealt with for nearly 1 year, and that was actually less complicated.
I never thought I would say that - but after so many hours trying to get this thing going. The installation was a breeze - but nothing but uphill from then on.

5 Jun 03, 2006 10:28

Your Mars Art blog is blog number 5 ;)

¥

6 Jun 03, 2006 10:32

I just set everything back to just auto recognize = all plain default - but the blog 3 still does not work, no matter what.

I thank you very much for your attention -
but I have no choice anymore, since I have to have a blog installed and working in ca. 10 hours - I will look for another script, like wordpress.
Thanks again.
Michele

7 Jun 03, 2006 10:33

¥åßßå wrote:

Your Mars Art blog is blog number 5 ;)

¥

Hi, thanks - but how can this be, when I only have 3 Blogs total???

9 Jun 03, 2006 10:36

The blog numbers aren't based on the number of blogs you have, they're assigned when you create a blog (ie, if you delete thiose two blogs and recreate them, they'll be blogs 6 & 7 ) ;)

¥

10 Jun 03, 2006 10:38

hi again, changed and uploaded with number 5 :)
still is not working because there is no reference to any html:
Blog Full Name Blog URL Static File Locale Copy Del
1 Blog All Blog All Title index.php/all all.html
2 Blog news (Default) Mars Art NEWS index.php a.html
4 Linkblog Linkblog Title index.php/links links.html
5 Mars Art Digital Mars Art artstub

12 Jun 03, 2006 10:41

Thanks again - I do now understand -
but, Jesus, how is one to remember all the number sequences, when for example there are so and so many of our members, that would go and create a blog on our site??

13 Jun 03, 2006 10:43

When you click the blogs tab in admin, all of the blogs are listed and to the left of them is their blog id ;)

¥

14 Jun 03, 2006 10:43

THANK YOU - that did it

now I am hoping again, to still manage to get this actually going

I thank you with all my heart - LOL

Michele

16 Jun 03, 2006 10:46

After I have this all figured out, i.e. customized etc. and learned how our website users can go and create their blog on our site WITHOUT a problem - I WILL sit down and write a step-by-step tutorial for "blog-dummies" - hahaha LOL

17 Jun 03, 2006 10:46

http://www.marsart.org/blogs/artstub.php works. There are no posts in it, but it delivers the page.

You have to decide if you want stubs or not. If you want stubs then you create artstub.php (which you obviously have) and then tell the back office that this blog - blog #5 - is "through a stub file" (which you obviously have) and tell it the stub file name is "artstub.php". Do NOT tell it ANYTHING for "Blog folder/URL" - just that you want to use a stub and the name of the stub. I think that's where the mistake lies. I think you told it the blog folder/URL is marsart.org/index.php/artstub, so it's trying to go there and freaking out because, well, because it's totally lost and confused. It's only code...

BTW stubs can do lots more stuff. I don't do anything with stubs except 'have a stub file', but you can do lots of stuff. First though get the whole thing running eh?

18 Jun 03, 2006 10:48

yeah - thanks soo much for all the quick help!

19 Jun 03, 2006 10:53

Wow. I thought I was replying on the first page only to find tons of stuff go back and forth while I was typing. I think you'll find that (a) b2evolution is not exactly what you want it to be and (b) is better suited to a situation where you give each blogger their own blog than WP is. I could be wrong though. Haven't twiddled with WP in ever since forever.

20 Jun 03, 2006 10:54

*hands EdB a whiskey* ;)

¥

21 Jun 03, 2006 10:59

Hey - am already starting to customize - LOL -
was just so frantic an hour ago, because I have a deadline with a NASA scientist, where I have to be able to show "off" - LOL -
and the blog was one of the things they wanted to see. I have till 6 pm tonight to get this whole thing done with the blog, have still tons of other stuff to do on the website until my meeting.

Yeah - greatly appreciate the fast help - saved my soul - meek-meek-meek - hahaha

22 Jun 03, 2006 11:06

¥åßßå wrote:

*hands EdB a whiskey* ;)

¥

Damn man I appreciate it. Shoulda known something was up when I saw artstub.php had 2 guests on it.

*downs whiskey with a vengence*

Ah...!

->orders a double for ¥<-

Back on track: NASA scientist eh? If you don't meet the deadline tell him/her a chunk of foam fell off and damaged an o-ring on the blog and it'll be a year before they can post again. They'll understand :lol:

23 Jun 03, 2006 11:27

hahahaha - I like to laugh - thanks for your good humor.
Well, this meeting is extremely important to us. We are starting to promote not necessarily NASA so much, but some scientists that work on the current rover that goes up there in 2008. We also are marketing etc. the book "Shadows of Medusa" by Brian Enke, one of the foremost consultants to NASA projects. I happen to know this guy quiet well, thats how I got involved with "Mars" - LOL.

We have an important meeting with Mr. Bigelow [he built the first prototype hotel for Mars [no joke]. He is a billionaire and just like microsoft, google, yahoo and many others, that spend currently a lot of money on Mars exploration - for good reasosns.

I have since 1993 an online art gallery, bootstrapped the whole thing, we are big in presence, but still lack the bucks to make the giant jumps we can do - so, now I concentrate heavily on "Mars", simply because thats where the money is.
If you have any interest at all in art, go and check out www.abs-gallery.com. I am re-structuring currently, and intend, if everything goes well with this blog for Mars, to also place a blog for our member artists on abs-gallery.
Can do some promo for evo there too. LOL

Michele
Ps: no, I better get back to work

Form is loading...