Recent Topics

1 Jun 08, 2006 20:02    

this ghost in my machine is really weird.

When attempting to make posts we "ocassionally" get this error:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /blogs/admin/edit_actions.php on this server.

But the appears no rhyme or reason.
For example, we might make a long post with photos, text etc. No problem.
Then we test a simple line like this :

When we create art curate write edit or anything else we put a bit of ourselves out into the world it is our proxy our public podium.

blamo! - "you don't have permission, blah blah blah."

but it gets weirder.

if I rearrange the sentance - IT WORKS.
What tha?

for example

the world it is our proxy our public podium. When we create art curate write edit or anything else we put a bit of ourselves out into

* note that the text has been copied from a simple text file to assure no word processor artifacts.
I've also tried stripping all the punctuation.

This is insane!
Its as though B2Evo is passing editorial judgements on our content!
What could this be? thanks in advance.[i][/i]

version - 0.9.2

2 Jun 08, 2006 20:13

Ghost in the machine may be right!
I don't think the permission error is ever given because of a post's contents. It's an error which checks the user's permissions to access various parts of the blog. It could be a funky screwup with cookies, that's my guess. But a ghost is as good a guess as any. :)

3 Jun 08, 2006 20:23

interesting - I can also add this.

We've experienced this problem from multiple users, logging in from different computers, in different locations, using different browsers... Mac - Safari, Windows IE.

So that would rule out a local browser thang.... methinks.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Want to rule out any .0.9.2 bugs.

it also "feels" like it could be server related?...but whut?

the seemingly random nature is the killer..

4 Jun 08, 2006 20:28

Is the text that causes the problem a title or content? Either way try using the exact same sentence only put a dash inside a word here and there to see if any specific sequence of characters is causing the issue. I've only a small idea of why I suggest this, and am not sure it'll help, but it won't hurt.

Way back in the day when I had a blog post with the word "limit" in it I found I could not post it. I forget the error, but the problem turned out to be that "limit" is an official commanding type of word in MySQL. I posted it with "lim-it" in the title and was happy. That bug might have been resolved - I just don't know.

Anyway I see the word "create" and wonder if that's freaking it out. In the first sentence it is before a period. In the second it is after. I have no clue if that matters, but PERHAPS this method can get more info for you.

5 Jun 08, 2006 21:16

Bravo EdB - thanks for your time.
Wow.
You are INDEED the guru.

Create - damn it.
That is it exactly.
The word Create.

So then... what is the fix? ... since this is a difficult word to obliterate from a Fine Arts web site.
:o

6 Jun 08, 2006 21:43

So "fine arts" and "create" are sort of related eh? And here I thought "copy/paste" was fine art... ;)

Was the text part of a title? In my case with "limit" it certainly was part of the title, though it appears it was not used in the text of that particular post. Searching my hackblog via my back office shows me 22 matches for "limit create" with OR selected, and I recall this problem with one specific post, so I'm feeling like it's an issue with titles only. If the problem shows up with specific terms in the post content I wonder if it has something to do with location inside the text, meaning before or after some sort of punctuation, assuming the issue shows up with post content containing these 'official' words, but I digress. Over the course of my life I've managed to master the fine art of digression, but that too is not exactly topical.

In my case I left the title of the post alone - visitors see the word "Limiting", but I edited the field called "url title" under the post text window in the 'advanced properties' section. I simply replaced "Limiting" with "Lim_iting" and the problem was solved.

Hopefully this helps!

Form is loading...