Recent Topics

1 Jun 30, 2006 02:32    

I while back, I had to turn off comments, except for registered users.
While this cut-out the comment spam, it also cut out most people wanting to make a casual comment. After all, who wants to register for yet another website.

I had heard from a friend that he never gets spam on his haloscan comments facility. So I thought I'd give it a try.
I registered at haloscan, then I tried to hook up the comment engine.

Haloscan does not have installation instructions for B2Evo. (They do have instructions for about 20 other blog programs ... does that tell us anything? >:( )

After a number of false starts, I managed to put two lines into the _main template and I now have an alternative comment engine on my blog.
I have to put up with a tiny amount of advertising inside the haloscan comment box, but if it delivers truly spam free casual commenting, I can live with that.

2 Sep 08, 2006 20:54

of how you did the integration

3 Sep 09, 2006 01:17

In _main.php add one line:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="custom.css" type="text/css" />
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.haloscan.com/load/xxxx"> </script>
</head>

The first and third line above are standard.
The second line was added. xxxx is your haloscan registration name.

A little lower in the same _main.php insert this:

<?php $Item->feedback_link( 'comments' ) // Link to comments ?>
			<?php $Item->feedback_link( 'trackbacks', ' &bull; ' ) // Link to trackbacks ?>
			<?php $Item->feedback_link( 'pingbacks', ' &bull; ' ) // Link to trackbacks ?>
zz
<a href="javascript:HaloScan('<?php $Item->title() ?>' );" target="_self">Haloscan 
<script type="text/javascript">postCount('<?php $Item->title() ?>' );</script></a>
<?php //$Item->permalink() ?> 
zz
			<?php $Item->edit_link( ' &bull; ' ) // Link to backoffice for editing ?>

The stuff between the zz's was added by me. Don't include the zz's.

I hope that's everything. Like a doofus, if I documented this change , I can't find it.

If you try it and that doesn't work for you, let me know and I'll see if I can find the missing pieces.

To see it in action, see [url=http://thepessimist.ca/index.php/2006/06/29/hello_haloscan]ThePessimist.ca[/url]

It has completely eliminated my comment spam.

4 Sep 24, 2006 18:33

One question...I tried installing haloscan on my B2evo site and now any comment made pops up in all posts. Does any of your add-ins fix that, or did I just botch it somehow?

5 Sep 25, 2006 00:26

That piece of code that says: php $Item->title() is returning the name of the article. ie. The part of the permalink that comes after the domain.
e.g. in the case of the link above

http://thepessimist.ca/index.php/2006/06/29/hello_haloscan

it is the hello_haloscan piece (or maybe the whole 2006/06/29/hello_haloscan.
It is this argument back to haloscan when the comment is created that it uses to associate the comment with the article.

If the sample code above doesn't do the trick, perhaps I haven't given you all the code (because like I said above, I didn't document my change. Doh!)

Form is loading...