Recent Topics

1 Jul 19, 2006 18:48    

I'm having a benign, but irritating issue with a spam registered user. At first he registered as "promotionagency" and I immediately deleted the account. The next day, he had registered again, so I figured I'd just try to isolate it in case the registration was some sort of automated process.

A few days went by without incident, and then the same e-mail address was used to create another account, under the name "promotagency."

The thing is, the user has made no attempt to leave comments or leave a footprint of any sort that is visible to the public. It just bugs me that he's there, so I'd like to see if there's a simple way to ban him based either on e-mail address or IP.

The e-mail for both users is loginmtkrk@cashette.com, and the IP is 193.251.56.8

2 Jul 19, 2006 19:05

urm, since your using 1.8, this may or may not work*

/conf/hacks.php

if(in_array( $Hit->IP, array( '###.###.###.###', '###.###.###.###') ) ) exit;

With a tad of luck Whoo will come along and tell you how to do that using .htaccess (or you could just search Whoo and htaccess ;) )

¥

*Customer notice : The accuracy of my code is directly proportional to the uptime of my internet connection and the number of red blood cells that haven't been overcome by beer ........ you might like to note that my connection has been screwed for several days (not that I'm bitter you [url=http://www.blueyonder.co.uk]arses[/url]) and therefore my liver is now complaining at the increased workload :|

*edit to correct code*
sheesh, yer never gonna believe how low my red blood cell count is :|

*2nd edit to correct code*
You really would be better searching for Whoo and htaccess :p

3 Jul 19, 2006 19:48

I don't think I have permission to alter htaccess on my server, but thanks all the same.

4 Jul 19, 2006 20:45

scottsforum wrote:

I don't think I have permission to alter htaccess on my server, but thanks all the same.

sure you do.. after all you have pretty permalinks dont you?

that ip is from russia, and though I havent checked, it is prolly a proxy. You can always ban it, but if theyre persistent, they'll just come back at you with another ip.

Its the nature of spam.

ive addressed ip banning and other ways to secure ANY dynamic site against these sorts of spam attacks to the nth degree on these forums .. search my posts

Form is loading...