Recent Topics

1 Jul 20, 2006 01:41    

I had issues with my hosting provider when traffic suddenly increased on my site.

I am trying to minimize the access to the databases.

One of the things mentioned in my searches was to get rid of the log functions.

I deleted the log function in the main.php file of my skin, and in the files in the xmlsrv folder, yet I still see current stats.

Where else can I disable the logging feature?

I figure that I already get detailed info from my server, why have it duplicated by the blog also?

2 Jul 21, 2006 17:05

Also, if I do this, then am I open to getting spammed, since there would be no record of the visit? Or does b2 check for spammers, etc another way?

3 Jul 21, 2006 18:12

Blogger4832 wrote:

I deleted the log function in the main.php file of my skin, and in the files in the xmlsrv folder, yet I still see current stats.

Where else can I disable the logging feature?

I figure that I already get detailed info from my server, why have it duplicated by the blog also?

As far as I know those are the only places you need to remove the logging function. You've removed this bit?

$Hit->log(); // log the hit on this page

As to why they get "duplicated": it's probably because it's only duplicated for people who have access to data from their host/server, or for people who use their blog as only a portion of their web and want to see blog-specific traffic data. I could be wrong - I'm not part of the dev team (just a forum junkie).

Blogger4832 wrote:

Also, if I do this, then am I open to getting spammed, since there would be no record of the visit? Or does b2 check for spammers, etc another way?

b2evolution (b2 is a different and long-dead blog app) has an antispam feature built in, and the opportunity to enable plugins to further defeat spammers. To use the built in one visit your 'antispam' tab in your back office and click on the link to request the latest update. You get a maximum of 1000 updates per click and there are currently a bit over 4200 blocked keywords. If any part of a referer matches any of the keywords they're given an error page and are not served up the page.

4 Jul 21, 2006 19:52

EdB Wrote:

If any part of a referer matches any of the keywords they're given an error page and are not served up the page.

If I disable the hit log functions, will it still check the blacklist?

I was just using "b2" for short. I didn't know there was another name for it.

Let me just say that this program is great, and these forums are an excellent source of help for those of us who only know enough about this stuff to be a bit dangerous. (Sometimes too dangerous for our own good.)

5 Jul 21, 2006 20:30

The antispam thing kicks in long before the $Hit_log() function. Pretty much as soon as b2evolution initializes the referer header is checked against the antispam list. That saves your server a TON of work!

BTW that "saving your server" thing happened in 0.9.1 so you've got to be using that version or higher to gain that benefit. Back when it came out it reduced my overall server load tremendously.

----------------

Sometimes people are actually using "b2" and think these forums will be able to help them, so I wanted to clarify that we're talking about b2evolution. Used to be b2evolution had an 'upgrade from b2' option, but that's gone by the wayside now since it's almost impossible to find an active b2 blog anymore.

6 Jul 21, 2006 22:04

Yes I was speaking about b2evolution.

And I will be updating soon, hopefully to 1.8 (of course using your suggestions, which I found in another post)

Thanks for you help.

Form is loading...