Recent Topics

1 Oct 23, 2006 05:23    

Hey guys,
I'm setting up http://www.thinkintrinsic.com/ and have a few "blogs" called "commentary" "education" "home" etc. I want to drop "education" to the bottom of the list (on the left side of every page).

I see that blogs are linked by their ID.

How do I re-order them?

Thanks,
Jordan

2 Oct 23, 2006 16:13

There are 2 ways I can think of to get what you want done, but first I'll tell you which way doesn't exist: there is no way to order the blogs by saying "this one then that one then another one".

One method, and probably the most unfriendly imaginable, is to rename your blogs into the order that 'blog ID' will list them in. That means moving all your categories and posts and twiddling with stub files if you use them and everything else that your blog has associated with each individual blog. Blech!

Another method, and this one is very cheap, is to copy the html the blog list generates and hard-code it into your skin with a bit of php-trickery so each blog shows the effects of the current blog selected. In a nutshell this would be the goal:

switch $blog {
case '1':
the code you get when you are on blog #1
break;
case '2':
the code you get when you are on blog #2
break;
case '3':
the code you get when you are on blog #3
break;
case '4':
the code you get when you are on blog #4
break;
}

The only difference from page to page is which particular blog gets the class "BlogButtonCurr". Anyway that's the detail you would want to make specific for each case in the switch. That AND ordering the blogs in the order you see fit.

Maybe shuffling the blogs isn't that bad after all?

3 Oct 23, 2006 18:48

Thanks for that. I was hoping there would be a better approach but you've given me an approach I hadn't considered. I'll take what you've given me and see if I can figure something out.

Thanks again,
Jordan

5 Mar 23, 2007 16:42

Pretty old topic to be dragging up to the top of the list eh?

6 Mar 24, 2007 21:00

Well, Edb..you don't know your own genius. Here is a post by you that is absolutely the best solution to the problem first described.

http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=10912

In that topic Edb outlines the exact remedy to put blogs in any order you please. It works like a charm. This is so well done it should be a part of the manual and in the FAQ section.

Form is loading...