Recent Topics

1 Feb 07, 2007 11:35    

The instructions at http://manual.b2evolution.net/Directory_and_file_permissions give two scenarios for the permissions in the media directory. The second scenario, which is recommended, is to have the files be owned by the PHP user and have 755 permissions. On my ISP's server the files in the media directory are owned by my account, which is not the PhP user, so I can't do this. The other secenario mentioned is to have all the files have permission 777, but the instructions say that this setup is not recommended. This leaves no options recommended. What is one supposed to do?

Right now I get the following messages when I go to the Files page in Back Office:

The blog's media directory «media/blogs/a/» could not be created, because the parent directory is not writable or does not exist.
The blog's media directory «media/blogs/links/» could not be created, because the parent directory is not writable or does not exist.
You don't have access to any root directory.

2 Feb 07, 2007 12:49

Set them to 777 and don't worry. The only time it's a problem is if you have a crappy host, but I can't explain what specifically would make a host be crappy. All I know is I always set them to 777 and have not had a problem on any installation.

3 Feb 07, 2007 13:38

All right. Maybe it would be worth forwarding this thread to whoever is responsible for that help page.

4 Feb 10, 2007 20:48

You could edit the help page yourself.

However, 777 is not recommended, but may be necessary. Often the recommended thing is not possible, isn't it?

5 Feb 10, 2007 20:57

It seems unwise to change the page without knowing either (a) the intent of the person that wrote it, (b) that the recommendation is wrong, or (c) that the recommendation cannot be followed in the vast majority of cases. So far none of those are clear. Don't you think?

6 Feb 10, 2007 22:30

I think I've written it and IMHO it's c): the recommandation cannot be followed in a lot of cases.

7 Feb 11, 2007 03:53

I've tried to reword it so it might not leave the wrong impression on some users. Let me know if it could be better worded.

8 Feb 11, 2007 04:11

A few suggestions:

More specifically: the PHP process that runs b2evo is not you.

-->

More specifically: the PHP process that runs b2evo probably does not have the same easy access to your files as you do.

"files/folder" --> "files/folders"
"webserver" --> "web server"

It might also be helpful to explicitly say that _basic_confiig.php does not need to be writeable after installation (if that is true). Knowing that would have helped me a bit during my setup, believe it or not. This is now mentioned near the end (which I like); it might also be helpful to mention it near when the file is first introduced and there is discussion about it needing to be writeable during installation.

Finally, maybe it is worth adding a sentence after the end saying explicitly that these setups may not work with some web server setups, and you might have to use

Form is loading...