Recent Topics

1 Aug 09, 2007 15:22    

I have two b2evo blogs - one 1.9.x and one 1.10.x based. I've seen references to various topics on traceback and comment spam but I have a more general set of questions related to b2evo:

Tracebacks
What is the purpose of a traceback? Originally I left them turned off my blogs but recently turned them on...and immediately got hit with nothing but traceback spam. Sure I went through and blacklisted the offenders but then I found myself going through and blacklisting at least 10 a day - too time consuming. Worse yet, registered users that subscribed would get the traceback notification emails even before I published or deleted a traceback (see the question on comments below).

Comments
Comments on my blog have to be moderated (published) by me but what I notice is that when a comment is left, the email notification out to subscribed users goes out even though the submitted comment is still in draft mode and may potentially be deleted! This means that if an inappropriate comment is left by a guest user, users that are subscribed to that blog will see the comment via email even if I end up deleting/not publishing it!

Of course I see the purpose to comments but is the notification behavior I described intended? If so, why?

Many thanks...

2 Aug 15, 2007 01:29

First, I'd get the CAPTCHA image plugin. It will protect both comment and trackback (yes, it's TRACKback) from bots. Of course, it's not foolproof but blacklisting trackback spam is usually pointless as the info the bots use (IP,from URL) is often faked or pointless.

I don't know about your second question though :(

4 Aug 28, 2007 16:50

So out of curiosity, are there any deep experts on posting comments that can clarify/help understand the behavior? Of course, I am most interested in whether there is a way to stop posted comment notifications (email) from going out until after they have been approved.

I've been lucky so far and have had no issues due to misbehavior but I'd like to keep it that way...

5 Aug 28, 2007 17:53

The problem you have is that comment notifications are sent out during the db insert process. It doesn't take into account the status of the comment.

We've got a "[url=http://www.waffleson.co.uk/2007/08/16/omg_we_almost_have_a_new_plugin]subscriptions[/url]" plugin that we're currently toying with, but that's an opt in checkbox thing on a per post basis ( at the moment ). It uses a table to send out notifications when a comment is actually published. You could probably implement a similar logic by hacking the core.

¥

6 Aug 28, 2007 18:41

So two questions come to mind:

1) Is that "simply" a matter of taking the subscription notification call(s) and re-locating them to the "comment approval" code/section? Am I looking at a simple procedure or major heart surgery?

2) Since I'm always loathe to make a functional change like this to the product itself, would this be a valuable feature to have in the next release? It seems like it would be to me - otherwise the benefit of being able to approve/reject a comment is somewhat lost - but I haven't seen this discussed before and figured I just didn't understand the purpose/value of it working this way.

7 Aug 29, 2007 10:12

1) It'd probably be easier for you to recode the plugin to use the evo_subscriptions table and then disable the core notifications in conf/comment_post.php

2) The problem has arisen because moderated comments are a fairly recent addition to the core. However, based on the notes in the file they are aware of this and are working on recoding it already

¥

9 Sep 01, 2007 14:37

Oh dear,

They found you. You'd better install the trackback plugin, mentioned above, as soon as possible.

Good luck

10 Sep 01, 2007 16:30

hi afwas,

thanks. i'd just did.

12 Sep 05, 2007 11:38

Hi Afwas,

A few days after I installed trackback plugin, spam trackbacks strike again. So, I will be installing Captcha later on. And I will get back to you, hopefully not for questions, but with a good outcome. Thanks.

13 Sep 05, 2007 12:20

The question is: Do the spam trackbacs that hit you came from the same IP referred in the trackback?. For instance, a trackback sent from my blog would show up like this in the notification e-mail:

website: El Liberal Venezolano (IP: 216.104.33.90, esc90.midphase.com)

if you resolve esc90.midphase.com, you get back: 216.104.33.90

$ host esc90.midphase.com
esc90.midphase.com has address 216.104.33.90

The plugin is designed to block trackbacks for which this condition does not apply, which are the vast majority.

15 Sep 05, 2007 13:22

what part don't you undertand?

16 Sep 05, 2007 14:44

Hi Austriaco,

I've check the trackbacks, not all of them came from the same IP. But, I noticed that most of them came from 62.213.68.96 to 62.213.68.240. Others came from other sets of IP.

Form is loading...