Recent Topics

1 Dec 04, 2007 18:38    

My b2evolution Version: 1.10.x

Somewhere yesterday when I was attempting to solve another problem, I, for one brief moment, DID SEE a list of posts and noticed a GEN button on the right. I didn't have time to GEN then, but now I would like to generate a static file for each post. I've been seeing that as I posted posts, but didn't know how to do it. Today, I cannot for the life of me FIND where I saw a list of posts with a GEN button out to the right, among others.

I've looked through Docs, I've done searches, but haven't found the answer.

A little more help for me and I'll go away for a while, promise!

2 Dec 04, 2007 19:14

Here's where I'm coming from: Every time I publish a post, I read a message that says, "You may want to generate a static file for this post" or some such thing. How do I do that?

I cannot today find in my back office any list of posts with a GEN button on it. Where did I see that yesterday?

Is is true that static pages are better for search bots?

3 Dec 04, 2007 19:56

Others might authoritively state a different answer, but as far as I can tell a static page is neither better or worse as far as search engines are concerned. Either is just another page among billions out there on the wild wild web.

Heck ALL pages are static to a search engine. That's why they cache a COPY of the page! They assume what they saw once is what the world will see when the world visits.

Generating a static page is probably done from the "blogs" tab, though I can't nail the subtab for you. All it will do is make an html equivalent of what your main blog page looks like at that particular moment. It'll help your server survive slashdotting, but probably won't make any impact on how the search engines see your domain name. I THINK you have to make a file with your static page name first, and you might have to CHMOD it so the server can over-write the page. It is also obsolete the moment you make a new post. I guess you could staticize your blog each time you post.

I wonder if any frequent users out there generate static pages or not, and if so what is the motive and/or benefit?

4 Dec 04, 2007 19:59

I appreciate the response. Because it seemed like a chore, I have been ignoring the message, "You may want to generate a static page...." but I thought if it was something I was supposed to do to "aide' the spiders, I'd bite the bullet and do it, but I've looked at the How to make a Template stuff, and got lost. I think I'll just move on....

Thanks again!

Form is loading...