Recent Topics

1 Dec 29, 2007 20:58    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

I didn't find anything useful on this, so please help me out.

How do I set up a site so every blogger can have his own subdomain (hisname.mydomain.com), own blog and still me managing everything from a single install.
I can do the cPanel stuff myself, but I'd rather not setup and later on upgrade many installs.

Any tips on how to get started?

Thanks

2 Jan 03, 2008 00:54

Yay it's my 3,000 post ... lets hope it's one of the useful ones ;)

There's a pretty huge thread on the forums somewhere, probably round about here ( [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=13575]multiple blogs, mutiple domains[/url] )

It leads to this post on my blog ( [url=http://waffleson.co.uk/2007/10/multi-domains-on-a-single-evo-install]Multi-domains on a single evo install[/url] ), and another by texasag90 on their blog ( [url=http://www.masonworld.com/computer/b2evo/running-b2evolution-multiple-blogs-multi]Running b2evolution: Multiple Blogs, Multiple Domains, One Install, Shared Host[/url] ) )

I've also been chatting with personperson about an alternative method for being logged in across multiple domains without the need for multiple logins, but not had chance to test it yet.

If none of that helps then just holler back, if any/all of it helps then write a wiki page ;)

¥

3 Jan 03, 2008 01:20

Thanks Y,

I found both blogs, but I completely missed the forum thread. What has Santa done to me?
I found the masonblog a good place to start, but I thought i could do without the symlink for he writes:

check this line: require_once dirname(__FILE__).’/blogs/conf/_config.php’; This is what I use the symlink for.

I hardcoded that one.
Then I did the base url trick as shown in the _basic_conf.php.
This worked, but in three clicks I was out f my domain and into the blogs'.

Then an not reproducable series of events caused me to say sorry sorry to my host and I abandoned the project for the time being. I'll retry in a few days.

Can my arrogant alteration of the clear instructions of the mason blog be related to the failure of the baseurl being set correctly?

4 Jan 03, 2008 01:45

sheesh, I dunno why I bothered to whore my blog :P

I don't know, as you can see I did it a different way as I'm not on shared hosting.

However, I'm gonna be moving my blog ( again ) soon. We've got cpanel installed there so I'll see if I can setup my installation without root/ssh powers ( about the nearest I can get to a *common* shared hosting environment ). I know personperson ( if yer gonna be politically correct, go the whole hog :roll: ) managed to get it setup on a VPS, so maybe he's worth asking? ;)

¥

5 Jan 03, 2008 04:40

My instructions should work for subdomains. I am running test.masonworld.com in the same way. Does that answer your question?

I did the symlink because somewhere I read that the install instructions say that the support files must be below the apache doc root.

6 Jan 03, 2008 04:42

Oh yes -- almost forgot -- login across multiple domains seems to work after you log in once at each blog. Sometimes the menu bar disappears, however.

7 Jan 03, 2008 09:32

Thanks texasag90,

Yes I am trying tu run blog(s) from test.mydomain.com where the original blog is at mydomain.com/blogs

Some time ago Y solved this problem and I remember being active in that topic also. Yjis should run out ofthe box but didn't. That was a stub related problem. i'll try to find the post I am mentioning.

8 Jan 04, 2008 06:19

Did you get this going. Looked for you on IRC...

9 Jan 04, 2008 15:39

texasag90 wrote:

Did you get this going. Looked for you on IRC...

Do remember people tend to sleep, although in Europe at other times as in texas. ;)
I needed to delete the setup having troubles (500 internal server error) probably not in the blog, but starting again made sense.
The blogs are in subdirs. Need to find that topic again. From memory this $baseurl code that's now in the distribution came from that conversation.

The problem was staying in the subdir. After a couple of clicks in the backoffice I was at the main blog' s subdomain.

10 Jan 04, 2008 15:56

OK. Sleeping is overrated, btw. Did not realize you were in Europe. :)

11 Oct 14, 2013 17:21

Hello,
I am posting this holling back to Yabba.
I did not make it work. I tried hard for weeks.
What is it : to run a n/w of blogs out of one install using subdomains to access the blogs.
I do believe I understood how the theory of it works.
I do want to stress that I have successfully made the same work with wp MU. I used wildcard subdomain in the cpanel and installed WP with the subdomain settings, configured the wp-config and the htaccess files and it just works fine.
While I have been wp addict for years I want to use b2evo for this n/w.
So I repeat again what I want as I could not find the tutorial nor how to nor anything clear enough.
I want to access blogs created out of one base domain install as subdomains of the main domain install.
So the domain is : mydomain.com
I or users create : their blog at mydomain.com called "myblog"
and I want them to access their blogs at myblog.mydomain.com
I have installed b2evo myself manually and I can change the url of the blog in the admin setup.
I can access the cpanel. I can add subdomain, I can add dns record. I can add wilcard subdomain. I can make them point to the root folder of the base install.
Please tell me what to do step by step so that when I type b.mydomain.com in the address bar of the browser it then does display .mydomain.com/blog2.php ?
Sorry I had to holla you back but do not know what else to do now.

13 Oct 14, 2013 21:05

Dear mgsolipa,
Thanks a lot for coming to rescue that fast.
Yes I had studied this but gosh I failed right there :
"Set your additional domains up as "Domain Aliases" (even if they are sub-domains of your main domain)"
I can do what I understand of that to make it work for wp as explained above.
But that statement I do not know what it means I should do.
(embarassed ...)

14 Oct 15, 2013 22:38

I have to add so as to stress it. that I am not talking of adding manually subdomains in the cpanel to be pointing at blogs being accessed as subdomains. I am talking of being able to automatically point any new blog as they are created to their related subdomain url.
As currently for example on my wp blog n/w when I create a new blog called fun at mydomain.com then it points to that url fun.mydomain.com automatically - without having to manually create the subdomain in the cpanel (dns record)

15 Oct 16, 2013 02:10

I dont think there's an easy solution to that without actually adding the dns zones etc.
However, what you can do, is to simply create redirections instead of subdomains

16 Oct 16, 2013 12:27

Hello and thanks to you tilgicom. I am surprised if not in shock. WPMU here at blog.azanet.net as main base domain installed by me using http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network tutorial works out of the box. I can create any blog, ie: bloggie and access it at : bloggie.blog.azanet.net WITHOUT doing any DNS pointing to that url manually. I can just create any xyz and automatically and instantly I can call it in the address bar as xyz.blog.azanet.net.
And I can not believe this can not be done with b2evo using the same wildcard subdomain pattern.

17 Oct 17, 2013 00:13

it doesnt really work "out of the box" in wordpress too i guess.. Besides, as far as i know wordpress "multisite"s are not seperated from each other completely, and most plugins are buggy with multisites.

As you see there (http://codex.wordpress.org/Before_You_Create_A_Network#Server_Requirements) There's plenty of preparations to tackle such a task. And "wildcard subdomains" is not a wordpress feature but a general method, you can apply that method for your b2 install if you are up to it.

Whichever methods you use, you will need to configure your DNS (to map the domain name to the server's IP address) and server (to map the domain name to the WordPress installation directory). WordPress will then map the domain name to the site.

You should set up test installs for both b2 and wp and see which takes you where and see for yourself. It's not as easy as it sounds to allow people have their own site/blog, there are many precautions to take and serious risks that come with it.

As a user of both platforms, i can say that you may not have it exactly like you like with b2 feature-wise, but you'd be better of security-wise. It's your call, test them both and decide for yourself

Form is loading...