Recent Topics

1 Feb 14, 2008 18:17    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

I have a blog that I put up for my company, so it's an internal site. When a new blog posting is put up I took a look at the stats and it has about 1700 hits that day, with it trailing off pretty quickly after that.

The weird thing is this particular blog entry shows "21 views." Someone asked about it when it was on 13, then I hit it and it went to 14. I had a few co-workers hit it and it got to 21 somehow (they refreshed a few times.)

I don't really understand how it got to 21 even. I checked the hits and it was only me and the three co-workers, so I would have thought it would have got to 17 if anything if it was by IP. I did open up another browser where I had posted a comment as another user, so if it was by user then perhaps it could have gone up to 18.

Anyone know how these "views" are calculated?

Thanks,
Matthew

2 Feb 20, 2008 16:33

No ideas? :)

3 Feb 20, 2008 22:44

Sorry AngelicPenguin. I'm not really sure on EXACTLY what constitutes a hit, but I'm pretty sure that going to the permalink page will increment the hit counter. It is possible that following a "read more" and/or the "feedbacks" (leave a comment) link will also increment the counter.

More that I don't know about is what happens when someone refreshes the page for whatever reason. Will it count as a hit again, and if so does it matter how long before the person reloads the page?

Another one I'm not sure of but have a guess at is that viewing a post as part of a multi-post page does NOT increment the hit counter. In other words if you do not use "read more" and I read 5 posts on your main page then none of them will get a page view increase.

That's why I haven't answered: I don't really have much info to share ;)

At the very least, hitting a permalink page will, most of the time, increment the page views count.

4 Feb 21, 2008 00:40

'Read more' definitely increments views. I'm not sure if it also counts as a hit.

5 Mar 04, 2008 23:53

I would really appreciate knowing what constitutes what as well.

I have Statcounter (hidden) on my blog as well as a 'where in the world' hit counter (now discontinued) and then the back office statistics.

Comparing all three I have never been able work out what each counts. My statcounter is always very low compared to my back office.

I would like to think that my blog is as popular as I interpet the b2evo stats, but I am not so sure!

And if anyone can explain what the 'unknown' is I would be grateful. Surely they have to be something? DH suggested that some may be visitors that have blocked ip addresses?

And from time to time I get an ip address 'bomb' my browser hit log but internet searches for the content of my blog don't render anything that looks like scrapping - any ideas on that too?

Form is loading...