Recent Topics

1 Mar 19, 2008 18:03    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

This problem I've only seen it happen in a Venezuelan portal called http://www.to2blogs.com but it only happens when you ping a b2evolution blog with titles containing accented characters or others such as "ñ" and sometimes even quotation signs.
Any idea how can this be solved?
I'm attaching an image of the actual problem. Look at where it says Guillermo Casanova

http://www.guillermocasanova.net/accented_characters.jpg

2 Mar 29, 2008 20:36

Should I give up asking for help on this particular issue? :-/

3 Mar 29, 2008 21:25

could you pls provide which charset and encoding you are using first, and are you having problems only this character or there are others ? if so, pls provide all the characters you are having problem with

and one more thing, when you edit that post, do you see such characters as

&# 153;

instead of those spec. chars, or do they totally disappear even in edit section ?

4 Mar 29, 2008 22:04

I'm using the character encoding ISO-8859-1

Characters such as:

á
é
í
ó
ú
ñ
¡
¿

When I edit the post the titles are normal; they are not converted into HTML characters.

The blog is http://www.guillermocasanova.net

6 Mar 29, 2008 23:59

The problem here, if I understand correctly, is that when pinging about a post with "non regular english" characters, the recipient of the ping does not display the characters correctly. I see in gcasanova's screenshot where the ping recipient he (she? - never assume gender!) has the issue with is capable of displaying the accented characters correctly. All other titles on that screenshot have them yah? Therefore I feel it is safe to consider this a problem for b2evolution, but ...

gcasanova (or anyone out there) is there any ping service you know of that displays accented characters AND displays pings from you (or any b2evolution blog) correctly?

7 Mar 30, 2008 01:58

tilqicom, the problem is not the blog but how when pinged to this particular site www.to2blogs.com [EDIT url fixed ]the titles, if containing accented or non-english characters gets truncated.
Let's say the title is:

Sueños de Verano

It would show as:

Sue

I asked for help to the sites owner and he told me it was alright for him if blogger and wordpress showed right :!:
Normally I would go somewhere else if receiving an answer as that, but his site is the among the two portals most read in Venezuela.
So yes EdB, the problem is like you said, only affecting b2evolution blogs (as far as I know).

9 Apr 02, 2008 00:14

Sorry, but I can offer no help beyond clarifying that this problem is a "b2evo when pinging with accented characters" problem. If one of the really smart players doesn't come along soon enough, meaning after I deal with another day at work and a day with the stupid car dealership to fix the stupid car before the warranty runs out, I'll take a stab at looking at stuff.

BUT I have no idea where to look or what to look for.

I'm pretty sure this is a bug by the way.

10 Apr 03, 2008 03:29

Well let's hope you get your car fixed soon and then try, if you have the time, to search for some solution for this problem.
The thread has been open for some time and none of the smart players have come along.

11 Apr 09, 2008 23:29

Today I noticed that the site to2blogs.com has no problem with b2evolution 1.8.6, but it does when receiving pings from b2evolution blogs version 2.4.1
What can have changed?

13 Apr 26, 2008 16:04

Should I give up on this issue? :'(

14 May 03, 2008 21:38

No solution. I'm giving up.

15 May 03, 2008 23:11

Bummer. This is, to me, a bug. I am sort of surprised no one else has acknowledged this problem because it seems like it should be reasonably easy for those who are really smart to fix.

Especially knowing 186 worked and 241 doesn't.

Hey can you make a quick installation of 242 and see if accented or non-english characters get through that ping site?

I should move this whole thread to the bugs forum.

EDIT: moved from "b2evolution support" to "Bugs in 2.4.x" due to it seems clear it is a bug report.

16 May 18, 2008 15:43

EdB:

I upgraded 3 blogs from 2.4.1 to 2.4.2 and the problem persists. So there is still no solution.

17 May 18, 2008 18:01

This is related to a known problem we have with some translations. You could try converting the Database to UTF-8 (see FAQ at top of this forum). No guarantees whatsoever. I'll have a look at it. Maybe sam2kb has more info on this.

18 May 18, 2008 18:13

Thank you Afwas! I was beginning to think no one would even try to help here. In fact, I have this in my watched topics so that maybe one day maybe I could maybe try to maybe figure out something that might be possibly near a solution. Lots of qualifiers in there eh?

I never even thought about the database thing you covered so well in [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=13366]this post[/url], or at least I'm pretty sure that is the post that covers the topic ;)

19 May 18, 2008 20:04

@gcasanova
How do you connect to to2blogs? Do you provide an RSS/Atom link or does it connect to xmlsrv or is there a ping solution?

20 May 21, 2008 06:47

Maybe sam2kb has more info on this.

Sorry, I can't help here. As Afwas said try converting your blog to UTF-8 or create a test UTF-8 blog and ping that site.

22 May 23, 2008 21:00

My RSS 2 (see this testpost) is converterted to HTML characters:

<title>á é í ó ú ñ ¡ ¿ á é í ó ú ñ ¡ ¿</title>

<link>http://localhost/foppe/blogs/blog1.php/2008/05/18/a-e-i-o-u-n-i-i-a-e-i-o-u-n-i-i</link>
			<pubDate>Sun, 18 May 2008 16:28:00 +0000</pubDate>			<dc:creator>admin</dc:creator>
			<category domain="main">Welcome</category>			<guid isPermaLink="false">25@http://localhost/foppe/blogs/</guid>
						<description>&lt;p&gt;&amp;#225;&lt;br /&gt;

&amp;#233;&lt;br /&gt;
&amp;#237;&lt;br /&gt;
&amp;#243;&lt;br /&gt;
&amp;#250;&lt;br /&gt;
&amp;#241;&lt;br /&gt;
&amp;#161;&lt;br /&gt;

&amp;#191;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div class=&quot;item_footer&quot;&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;small&gt;&lt;a href=&quot;http://localhost/foppe/blogs/blog1.php/2008/05/18/a-e-i-o-u-n-i-i-a-e-i-o-u-n-i-i&quot;&gt;Original post&lt;/a&gt; blogged on &lt;a href=&quot;http://b2evolution.net/&quot;&gt;b2evolution&lt;/a&gt;.&lt;/small&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;/div&gt;</description>

<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>á<br />

So I don't see how they screw that up.

Yours is also:

<title>La revista Times nombra a los 100 personajes más influyentes del año</title>

So they get the title in a proper format and then something happens ...

*note*
phpBB reverts the title back to 'normal' characters. You may need to view the source of your RSS feed to see what I mean.

Converting your database to UTF-8 may solve the problem.

23 May 23, 2008 21:52

OK, I converted the Database to UTF-8 (Unicode) now I have to write something and Ping to see what happens.

25 May 23, 2008 23:34

I had high hopes on the database conversion.
Apparently the thing doesn't like converted HTML characters.

Have you tried feeding it Atom in stead of RSS?

26 May 24, 2008 00:13

I haven't tried with Atom... I will, but, should I put back the Database as "Latin-swedish-ci" (+/-), like it was originally?

27 May 24, 2008 00:34

No need to. If it's UTF-8 that's fine.

28 May 24, 2008 00:38

With Database still as UTF-8 Unicode, I pinged with Atom and nothing, the same error.
Now, as EdB pointed out when I said that b2evo version 1.8.6 didn't result in the same mistake, maybe, the clue is in changes made since that version.

29 May 24, 2008 01:35

Yes, the post is converted to HTML entities. For some unknown reason to me your ping service misses that. I played with my testblog but haven't found the one line yet. I suspect /inc/_core/_misc.funcs.php line 130 function format_to_output( $content, $format = 'htmlbody' ) but to my surprise there are a few other places where code is converted.

30 May 24, 2008 02:22

I found it. It was less complicated then I thought it was.

If you use Atom, crack open /skins/_atom/index.main.php and change line 82 so it looks like

<title type="text"><?php $Item->title( array(
				'format' => 'raw',
				'link_type' => 'none',
			) ); ?></title>

That's a change from 'xml' to 'raw'

If you fancy RSS2, crack open /skins/+rss2/index.main.php and do the same with line 78:

<title><?php $Item->title( array(
				'format' => 'raw',
				'link_type' => 'none',
			) ); ?></title>

Please do report back to this topic.

32 May 24, 2008 12:27

I'm very glad.

Since this isn't a B2evo bug after all, I move this to 'Support' not to confuse developers.

Have a nice day.

33 May 24, 2008 14:08

great, even i am glad this is solved (:, as far as i saw this was bugging gcasanova too much :)

34 May 24, 2008 19:24

Afwas wrote:

I'm very glad.

Since this isn't a B2evo bug after all, I move this to 'Support' not to confuse developers.

Have a nice day.

I'm sorry, but I do not see how this can be considered "not a bug" given that b2evolution, as shipped, fails where other blog applications succeed. I mean, if you have to 'fix' a core file to ping a service that apparently others can ping successfully it sounds like a bug to me.

35 May 24, 2008 22:58

1) It's technically a skin file
2) This service can't handle HTML entities, which is fairly stupid if you'd ask my opinion.

But do move it back if you feel like it. There is still a shadow in the bug section however.

36 May 25, 2008 00:18

Ah no worries on me moving it back. That would be too weird for even me ;)

Reason one seems like a poor excuse for judging something to not be a bug, but reason two sounds valid to me. I don't think anyone else has ever before reported a pingable that wouldn't take 'non english' characters, so it is apparently limited to this one service.

Man I hate those shadow things. I always try to remember to uncheck that box because once a shadow is there it is nigh on impossible to make it go away.

Form is loading...