Recent Topics

1 Apr 16, 2008 03:47    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Hi, we just installed b2e, and from what we are reading and seeing we love it.

We successfully created our first user blog, which I'll call MyBlog. We would like to choose the URL used to access MyBlog, hence we would like to use a stub file.

Oh, I did read the FAQ ... it almost gets me there, but I fear I am not quite technical enough to grasp a couple of points.

Upon creation, b2e associated MyBlog with blogs/blog4.php. So I copied blog4.php and named the new file MyBlog.php, a simple experiment.

When I type into Firefox the URL But when I type into Firefox the URL blogs.mydomain.org/.../blogs/blog4.php, the new blog comes right up. But when I type blogs.mydomain.org/.../blogs/MyBlog.php, I get an internalserver error and 404 not found.

Now, the file is definitely there, I can see it using an ftp program. So I'm just not getting something. Would be SO very grateful for a bit of help getting this set up. I'm rather certain that once I get one working, the rest will follow with ease.

Thanks,
Elchanan

2 Apr 16, 2008 09:19

Have you changed the settings in admin > blog > [blog] > urls ?

¥

3 Apr 16, 2008 15:50

Thanks, yes. I learned that this was caused by a permissions problem. Apparently, our hosting vendor runs something called mod_suphp, such that we MUST set certain permissions on scripts and their containing dirrectories. This I did not know. Learning ... and thanks for your kind reply.

Elchanan

4 Apr 16, 2008 19:35

also, it is best practice (with any web app) to only use lowercase letters in URLs. That may save you a lot of trouble down the road ;)

5 Apr 17, 2008 05:14

Thanks, I have heard this and am open-minded. I do not understand why and am curious, if you (anyone) wish to elaborate a bit. The camel case always seems so much more readable to me. But I realize there are likely other considerations.

6 Apr 18, 2008 20:48

Hi VLM

On the lower case issue maybe I can help.

Its very simple. Sometimes people but the wrong case letter in a link and then it doesn't work. Sticking to only one case, preferably lower as it looks better, means one less error that is likely to be made.

All characters up to the end of the domain are case insensitive, but after that they are case sensitive. (Of course not on your local MS windows)

EDIT

Imagine telling someone to got to mysite.com/camelback. if you had to tell them where the humps were on a whole string of camels it would be a long story :) and they would probably not remember it properly :(

7 Apr 18, 2008 23:36

Thanks ... crystally clear!

Form is loading...