Recent Topics

1 Jul 11, 2008 07:56    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

2.4 was working wonderfully for 4 or 5 months. Then Bluehost did something and I started getting this error:

Service Temporarily Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.8g DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.nelsonguirado.com Port 80

I disabled FastCGI and it started working again, but now I get a lot of CPU errors during busy times of the day. Is there something I can do to fix it -so that I can use Fast cgi again?

Bluehost is using:

PHP 4 Servers: 4.4.8
PHP 5 Servers: 5.2.5

Thanks

3 Jul 16, 2008 17:17

Nope. It broke after a couple of hours. I had to go to regular php5. Any ideas?

4 Jul 30, 2008 23:26

They're telling me that it's slow sql queries. Any ideas on how to fix it? I've already optimized and repaired tables.

5 Jul 30, 2008 23:34

Well hello there! You currently have 10 posts per page and (it seems) 292 pages. WOW! But that shouldn't be the big issue. I'm not really good at the details of what queries hit the server harder, but let's take a few smart guesses.

I *THINK* the "who's online" widget is kinda heavy on resources, so you might want to make it go away. Simply remove it, even though it does sort of show "look how many people read my blog" thus encouraging visitors that you have good stuff to say.

I *THINK* the calendar is another one that takes up more power than it delivers. True that it is a convenient little "graphical archive" tool, but then again it is quicker to use your "Archives" in the sidebar to find something you posted last year. So I would make that one go away.

MAYBE cutting down to 7 posts per page will help, but this one is a total guess that is probably very very insignificant.

3-pronged approach? Remove the calendar and the who's online widgets, then consider cutting the number of posts per page. Between them you might be able to reduce the load on your server. ALTERNATIVELY wait for someone smart to come along and say "run this special thing and let's see what's clocking in where" because smart people say that sort of thing.

6 Jul 31, 2008 00:03

Ed. It's great to hear from you! I cut out the ministat one and the widget to show posts on sidebar. The thing was working great until Bluehost did something to break the fast CGI.

I'll see how that works out.

7 Jul 31, 2008 01:23

Ah I didn't notice ministats. The author already noted that one doesn't cache so it is doing a lot of queries every time a page load happens. Dunno nothing about fast CGI though.

8 Jul 31, 2008 01:34

Make a copy of your blog in some /dev/ or /hack/ or /test/ or whatever folder and view the blog in debug mode. That will tell where the slow queries are.
You may also gain performance by generating static pages out of the main (first) page. You might set up a cron job doing that every ten or five minutes or manual after every (post) change.

Like EdB I'm not into fastCGI, do someone else may want to answer that question.
Blueyed is preparing version 3 of B2evolution with major improvements in database query performance. You may want to contact him. He might have some stuff ready and I think he'll be pleased to test on a busy server.

Good luck

9 Jul 31, 2008 03:39

OK. I'll do that. By the way, if I get rid of "who's online," can I bring it back as easily?

10 Jul 31, 2008 03:41

OK. I see it's a plugin so I'll just disable it.

11 Sep 24, 2008 06:54

Are there any stuff I can enter in php.ini?

Apache version 2.2.9 (Unix)
PHP version 4.4.9

Form is loading...