Recent Topics

1 Sep 15, 2008 18:14    

My b2evolution Version:2.4.2 released on 04/27/08

// damn gmail... grr
		//$mbox = imap_open ("{pop.gmail.com:995/pop3/ssl/novalidate-cert}INBOX", "xxx@gmail.com", "xxx") or die( T_('Connection failed: ') . imap_last_error() );

Code linked here....

http://doc.b2evolution.net/v-1-9/__filesource/fsource_htsrv__blogscrongetmail.php.html

pop3-2-b2 mail to blog code under the cron dir in b2evolution version
2.4.2 released on 04/27/08 ...

I am testing this but cant seem ti get to work, xxx@gmail.com should get replaced with my username@gmail.com and the other xxx replaced?

Has this been tested? What are the correct steps to setting it up?

Gavin

2 Sep 27, 2008 01:10

Hi unmanagedtn. I don't do blogging by email, but I think I can answer a question here. The second "xxx" would PROBABLY be your gmail account password.

3 Oct 13, 2008 21:36

unmanagedtn,

I have been working with this for a while now too. I eventually found this same line in the getmail script and tried modifying it for my account, but I still get a "Connection failed: POP3 connect: Error []" message.

Has anyone had any luck with using Post by Email and gmail?

/*********** UPDATE ***********/

I realized that I needed to select "POP3 through IMAP extension" in order to execute the second case (pop3a).

For now, I don't get any errors (or any other messages for that matter) when I click either 'connection' or 'messages' to test the setup, and the test email disappears from my inbox. However, no new posts ever appear in my dashboard or on my blog. Any suggestions?

4 Oct 13, 2008 21:57

have you checked with your hosting provider? They may be able to work with you and monitor your inbox as you send the email. Together youc an determine if Google ever really sends the note to your "b2evo" mailbox.

5 Oct 13, 2008 22:14

Thanks for the reply,

I'm hosting the blog on my own server in my apartment. I'm running apache 2 on fedora 9.

I'm kind of new to this linux world though, how would I go about checking that google is sending the data?

6 Oct 13, 2008 22:28

Just check your incoming mail server to see if Google actually sent an email message to your designated "blog-by-email" email address.

FWIW, my understanding is that gMail uses some kind of secure email connection, which makes it useless to use for blogging by email.

If you have control over your own hosting server, just set up an email account and use that to send your blogging emails. (Bypass the whole gMail problem).

Been ages since I been on top of the blogging by email thing though, so take my understanding as "old data".

Hope it helps.

7 Oct 13, 2008 22:40

Just to clarify, the gmail account is the designated blog-by-email address. That is, theoretically, I'd like to send message from my phone to my gmail account, and have those messages automatically post to my blog which is hosted on my own server.

Google is receiving email from my cell phone, and it appears that b2evo is successfully logging into my gmail account (at least the absence of errors, and the fact that the email gets deleted from my inbox indicates that it logs in), but that's where it seems to stop.

I initially planned on setting up my own mail server and doing this all internally. However, I can't guarantee that my server is 100% reliable. So in the interest of providing reliable email addresses at my domain to other family members, I'm using google apps for all email services... hence the necessity of using gmail.

If gmail is breaking it then I'll see what I can come up with for a work around. I just thought I'd see if I was missing something simple.

Thanks!

8 Oct 14, 2008 00:33

Thanks for the clarification. Understand now that you're sending TO gMail.

The old get_mail script deleted the incoming email message LAST ... so knowing that the email is deleted might point to something like: is the message posted to the correct $blog_ID? Does the default cat # exist?

You say that you can't guarantee your server is 100% reliable, but if it's down ... so is your blog ... so is any emailed blog entries. (I don't really see any benefit in using an email server that's "up" when your blog server is "down"?)

I'd set up your email server and get that working FIRST ... (if for no other reason than to verify the script works as advertised and understand what things look like when their successful) ... then try migrating to OTHER mail servers.

Knowing success might help debug the failure.

Just my 2c
Good luck.

9 Oct 14, 2008 00:59

Its attempting to post to the correct $blog_ID and the category # is definitely set. I've been debugging the getmail script on and off for the past hour and found that its stopping right around line 590. (At least in my code its 590, I've been making some changes.) Where it determines if it is in test mode, if not then post.

Going back further I've found that some of the variables $content, etc have data early on in this case block, but not by the time they reach that point in the code. I'm still trying to figure out why. It also seems that the pop3a case block doesn't handle separators for phone messages where the body and subject are copies of each other. So, I'll go ahead and try to finish that code (unless it already exists in the regular pop3 block, i haven't looked yet.).

Anyway, I realize that if my server is down the blog is too. My server is doing more than just acting as a webserver, it also acts as a file server and home automation manager. This blog is really just the tip of the iceberg.

I use a website at my domain (not the blog, its a different sub-domain) to interface with a lot of the home automation stuff. But once I got the domain set up people outside of my house (but still in my family) wanted email addresses at the same domain. I figured that if I was going to offer them email, then I should guarantee that it would be consistently functional and available for them. By using google apps I can be sure that even if I find a bug in my automation code that shuts down the server itself (its happened before :roll:), my extended family's email will still function. I tinker and break things way to often to promise them reliability on my own.

I'll keep you posted on the debugging and let everyone know what I find once I get this working.

10 Oct 14, 2008 01:35

I wish the developers were stuck blogging by email for a few weeks ... then the getmail.php script would rock.

Good luck. I don't see anything obvious looking at the pop3a case (but then again, I've never seen it in action).

Eager to find out what you learn.

11 Oct 15, 2008 18:45

So I didn't get back into this until kind of late last night. Turns out, the reason it was stopping at/around line 590 was because of a documented problem.

I didn't find the thread explaining the solution until I found the solution myself, but you just need to include the itemslist.class.php file in getmail.php.

require_once $inc_path.'items/model/_itemlist.class.php'; 

Once that was done importing posts from my gmail account worked fine (using the hardcoded imap_open line specified for gmail of course.)

I did a little extra coding and set it up to use the gmail line automatically when the mail server is set to pop.gmail.com in the Blog-by-Email settings. I also added code to handle the case when you are sending email from a cell phone and the email subject is a simple copy of the message content.

As of now I can successfully post emails from my cell phone to my gmail apps account. If I start feeling ambitious I might look at the 'image' part of the code to handle picture attachments.

If anyone wants to download and use my modified getmail.php, you can get it here: http://rapidshare.com/files/154298488/getmail.php.html.

12 Oct 15, 2008 20:13

Cool. Glad you got it sorted and thanks for posting the solution. Yeah, including an attached image file would be v.nice. I looked into it ages ago, but never did find an acceptable way of doing it.

13 Jan 20, 2010 06:11

Tensai wrote:

Thanks for the reply,

I'm hosting the blog on my own server in my apartment. I'm running apache 2 on fedora 9.

I'm kind of new to this linux world though, how would I go about checking that google is sending the data?

I am sharing that CLV Group Ottawa - Your Full Service Real Estate Provider. Choose houses Ottawa apartments, Ottawa apartments for rent and ottawa real estate agents.

*removed

Form is loading...