Recent Topics

1 Oct 04, 2008 02:47    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Being two days into this I'm thinking this looks like blogging software for the rocket scientists.

At the top of my chosen skin there are some tabs related to blog(s), home (same blog) and contact. When I deleted a blog (since I only want one) one of the tabs disappeared. What I'd really like is to have that tab and a few more that I can use to link back to the main sections of my already existent website. Is there a way to do this? My eyes are glazing over just about everywhere I try to read anything already said on any subject so far. But I'm willing to try again.

3 Oct 04, 2008 03:14

I've already been there, thanks. That's the part about 'eyes glazing over'.

What's a freehtml widget? For sure I can put links in the header, but what I'd like to use are the tabs across the top. That would make a whole lot more sense.

4 Oct 04, 2008 03:23

jlb wrote:

I've already been there, thanks. That's the part about 'eyes glazing over'.

What's a freehtml widget? For sure I can put links in the header, but what I'd like to use are the tabs across the top. That would make a whole lot more sense.

aahh.. i suppose you say that a manual link doesnt look like the others.. that's an css issue.. a link to your site would be useful

5 Oct 04, 2008 03:29

Sorry, I'm still trying to understand. Is it possible to do what I'm trying to do? Is it possible to make more tabs across the top and use them to link to sections of my website? Just a straight answer would be helpful.

6 Oct 04, 2008 03:31

sure, but a link would be useful like i said, i dont know why you are avoding to, but i cant help you without knowing which skin you are using and take a look at your blog

7 Oct 04, 2008 03:53

Sorry again, it's not published, I'm not giving anyone the address. The skin I'm using is nautica_2lmar. It has grey tabs on top of the header.

8 Oct 04, 2008 04:03

insert your links like this

<li><a href="www.someurl.com">my link</a></li>

to the 'Menu' container (this is important as the tab styles are defined for this container only)

9 Oct 04, 2008 04:12

There's a bit of a language problem here. What is the 'menu container'?

10 Oct 04, 2008 04:18

wander through,

admin > blog settings > your blog > widgets

you will see 'Menu' there containing widgets, insert a new 'free_html' widget in this container and insert your link with a <li> wrapped around it , like in the example

11 Oct 04, 2008 04:27

Ok, done. I don't see anything different in the tabs.

13 Oct 04, 2008 04:46

Once you actually explained it, it wasn't that hard to do. Why it doesn't work who knows...

14 Oct 04, 2008 04:53

jlb wrote:

Once you actually explained it, it wasn't that hard to do. Why it doesn't work who knows...

maybe we'll know when it's published and you wanted to show.. who knows...

15 Oct 04, 2008 04:59

Is sarcasm the order of the day around here or are there people who can answer without it?

I appreciate your help but I could do without the slap across the head every step of the way.

It's probably bye-bye from me to b2 so publishing won't even be an issue.

16 Oct 04, 2008 05:09

jlb wrote:

Is sarcasm the order of the day around here or are there people who can answer without it?

I appreciate your help but I could do without the slap across the head every step of the way.

It's probably bye-bye from me to b2 so publishing won't even be an issue.

i can say that i'm sorry that i've responded without understanding completely your first post, i thought it was one of the regular 'how can i insert a link' questions, and being sarcastic about it...however your question was not that 'unique' either. that's not the point.

secondly, no it's not the general attitude in around here, and it's not the way i talk for the people who 'cannot' show their blog for some reason, maybe they are working on 'localhost'; but in your case, i couldnt be more gentle when you are jlb wrote:

I'm not giving anyone the address.

'unwilling' displaying your blog and are insisting on that it's not working wheni had disproven that it does, i couldnt help you further

17 Oct 04, 2008 05:45

All you needed was to know the skin I'm using which I told you. And as it turns out I only needed to understand the concept of widgets to insert the tabbed links I wanted. Why all around the moon to get to that, I don't know.

I uninstalled b2 from my webhost. Then I reinstalled it, did what you said and it worked fine. Something may have gone awry with all the fiddling I'd done with the css and html trying other things.

I am totally new to blogging software and I can tell you the admin area is extremely confusing and 'weird' if you've never seen such a place before. The documentation is even more confusing. You have to know what all this stuff means before you can even read about what it means. I think people for whom this is obvious already have no idea how to come down to earth where some of us still live.

I have actually written a blog for two years and it surprises me how much some people don't know that I think everyone already knows because it's so easy. So we're all in some different position on the playing field and if you can't be patient and respectful with people 'beneath you' you might as well quit.

Now I have tabs with the links I want except the links are in the form of http://mywebsite/skins/nautica_2lmar/mywebsite so obviously there's something else I'm missing here.

18 Oct 04, 2008 06:00

jlb wrote:

All you needed was to know the skin I'm using which I told you. And as it turns out I only needed to understand the concept of widgets to insert the tabbed links I wanted. Why all around the moon to get to that, I don't know.

you never know.each people can not be as imaginative as one other.
people do compromise with talking eh,? it might have taken a few steps more for me to get what you want as it was about 5.am by the start of the conversation, at least we got to it , right?

jlb wrote:

I uninstalled b2 from my webhost. Then I reinstalled it, did what you said and it worked fine. Something may have gone awry with all the fiddling I'd done with the css and html trying other things.

i see but that still doesnt explain why you wouldnt want to show your blog get shown.. whatever, continuing;

jlb wrote:

The documentation is even more confusing. You have to know what all this stuff means before you can even read about what it means.

agreed.but you should understand the people working for evo are mostly 'volunteers' and they cant spend their whole day to fix every part of it, developing a software shouldnt be easy, you have to split in a hundred parts to get everything running proper

jlb wrote:

I have actually written a blog for two years and it surprises me how much some people don't know that I think everyone already knows because it's so easy. So we're all in some different position on the playing field and if you can't be patient and respectful with people 'beneath you' you might as well quit.

i really dont.i mean it.you have to see my first posts. i will not comment about the degree of respect, i find my self quite righteous expect the first post of mine.

jlb wrote:

Now I have tabs with the links I want except the links are in the form of http://mywebsite/skins/nautica_2lmar/mywebsite so obviously there's something else I'm missing here.

jlb wrote:

Why it doesn't work who knows...

you just said it doesnt work eh, and at the very first post your diagnosis was that they were not looking like the others, that was where i blacked out, coz i thought you didnt get the tab view.

solution: i presume (as i cannot see/visualize ) [and no i am not being sarcastic] using href="/alink.html/" summat as your link, that points to the skin's directory..

try using an exact path to the link href="www.mywebsite.com/alink.html"

19 Oct 04, 2008 06:19

This is the link you told me to put in the widget:

What are you now telling me to do instead?

Sorry, it's just a language problem. If you don't say it exactly, I'm lost. Even if you think you said it exactly, I could be lost.

20 Oct 04, 2008 06:23

jlb wrote:

This is the link you told me to put in the widget:

What are you now telling me to do instead?

Sorry, it's just a language problem. If you don't say it exactly, I'm lost. Even if you think you said it exactly, I could be lost.

<li><a href="http://www.mydomain.com/mynewpage.html">my link</a></li>

you should use this one. (this is pretty much the same as the one i told above with just one bit that i missed; i missed to add 'http://')

edit: this was my 666th post.. should i care P:

21 Oct 04, 2008 06:30

That works. Thanks! OK, now my bedtime...

22 Oct 04, 2008 06:33

jlb wrote:

That works. Thanks! OK, now my bedtime...

not at all, yer welcome

23 Oct 04, 2008 22:31

ya know i spent all day digging through the script to find where those links were so i could add links to my homepage and forums, i had no idea it could be done through the acp,

note: someone please remind me to check here in future :lol:

nice simple instruction thanks ;)

24 Oct 04, 2008 23:06

Now that I've learned how to do that, I've decided I'd rather integrate the navigation bar from my website instead for uniformity of view. It's a simple html table split 7 ways to contain all the links.

I'm using the Firebug extension in Firefox to edit the css and html and have found the right place to insert the table into the html. So far, so good. However, in this skin (nautica_2lmar) there's a grey shading that runs vertically on both sides of the main writing area. When I insert the links table the shading disappears next to it on both sides. That makes sense. However, I no knowledge of css (besides hacking around casually with fonts and easy things like that) and and need to know how to get the shading to run vertically without interruption where the table is.

I would really appreciate some help with this.

25 Oct 04, 2008 23:33

firstly, forget about the tables, i mean it.

where exactly do you want to place it ? whereever you want to place it, use this:

<div id="newmenu"><!--this is your new menu-->

<ul><!--this is your new menu-->
   <li><a href="http://www.mydomain.com/mynewpage.html">my link</a></li><!--start every item/link with a wrapped <li>-->

</ul></div>

second part is duplicating the visual properties; open up your style.css and add;

#newmenu a {
	float: left;
	margin:0;
	padding:4px 10px 4px 6px;
	text-decoration:none;
	line-height: 1.5em;
	background: transparent url(img/menuright.png) no-repeat right top;
}

#newmenu li {
	display: inline;
	background:url(img/menuleft.png) no-repeat left top;
	padding-left: 4px;
}

#newmenu ul {
	background: transparent url('img/bg02-white-left.png') no-repeat left top;
	margin:0;
	padding: 1em 0 0 0;
	list-style: none;
	font-size: 85%;
	padding-left: 20px;
}

#newmenu {
	background: white url('img/bg02-white-right.png') no-repeat right top;
	overflow: hidden;
}

take a look at the example: http://i36.tinypic.com/vg5wzc.jpg

26 Oct 05, 2008 00:04

Good morning again, or evening, or whatever the case may be.

I can see what you've done there but it isn't what I want. I really do want my html menu bar going across under the header. I got it there by editing the blog.php file and it's good. Then, noodling around with the css I got rid of the top menu so my header sits against the top of the screen where I want it. The only thing missing is the grey vertical shading does not run next to where the menu bar now sits, but it's a small thing and I may get used to it.

27 Oct 05, 2008 00:19

OK, I took your advice. Going too far out on a limb in ignorance is not really working. However, there's something missing. I'm using 85% page width and your fix looks like it's set for 100% although I don't see that number anywhere I can change. What do I need to add to bring it in to 85%?

28 Oct 05, 2008 00:54

i really cant understand what yer getting at, i might help you out if you could provide screenshots with arrows and stuff you know..

29 Oct 05, 2008 01:05

We really do have a language problem.

I set my page width to be 85% by editing the css. That means the blog only goes 85% of the page width instead of 100% or whatever it was originally. The code you gave me works and looks great but it goes 100% of the width of the page. i.e. what I have and what you gave me don't line up.

30 Oct 05, 2008 01:19

try adding

#newmenu {
	width: 85%;
	margin: 0 auto;
	text-align: left;
}

i dont really know, yea we do have a language problem, when i say i require a screenshot, the answer should be 'here you go, / no i cant', and then mine would be 'here you go,/ then i cant be able to help ya', we have a bit of communication problem, and hope the above works but, frankly, i dont think i will bother to help a bloke like you the next time, nvm, good luck!

31 Oct 05, 2008 02:01

Like I said in my first line yesterday, this seems to be blogging software for rocket scientists. Between it and you I've never seen anything so confusing in my life.

As if trying to figure out the software (i.e. when I delete posts, why don't they delete?, how to get rid of the top menu without deleting other things that are important?, why Comments doesn't work?, why after I've deleted the other blogs, some of the present posts that I can't get rid of go to another blog?, etc, etc, it goes on forever, as if that all isn't enough, I have to figure out how to send a screenshot to a guy who won't take 10 seconds to read a simple question...

Anyway, I'm outta here. bye, bye, b2.

32 Nov 05, 2008 11:37

I know what you do is volunteer-- and I want you to know that even though you didn't exactly "reach" this jlb fellow, you have REALLY made a difference to my sanity level with my own website.

For MONTHS, I have been looking for the exact lines of code that you have posted. I would have given up completely tonight if I had not seen your posts.

Thank you so much! ;D

http://www.nixiepixel.com

Now I'm off to go look how I can make the "comments" section appear on the first page of my blog entry without having to click inside the blog post. Wish me luck and thanks again Til!

Form is loading...