Recent Topics

1 Nov 05, 2008 07:30    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

Hello.

In Blog A, there is a menu link "About this system" that shows up in the Posts/Comments link in Blog B. How (steps) was this done?

Thanks.

2 Nov 05, 2008 10:24

Hi blogmeister,

Welcome to the forums.
Toanswer your question:
1) Add the widget 'Page list' to the 'Menu' container. Do so in Blog setting -> Widgets
2) In blog a write a post. In the editor choose 'Expert'. Before saving the post choose 'Page' as 'Type'.

That sounds complicated but you just need to look for the links I mentioned.

Good luck

3 Nov 05, 2008 17:58

Thanks for your reply, Afwas.

What I saw in the menu of Blog B was that 'Page' post from Blog A. How do I call a blog page from one blog to another blog as a menu link or maybe even as a sidebar link versus creating from scratch? :?:

Thanks.

4 Nov 05, 2008 18:27

Easy. You create the post with type 'Page' in blog A and it will take the skin from blog A. In blog B it's simply a link to the post in blog A. Or confuses that more than it explains? ;)

Good luck

5 Nov 05, 2008 18:31

Thanks again Afwas.

For some reason, I couldn't find how to make that link in Blog B to that menu item. What am I not seeing?

6 Nov 05, 2008 18:39

In blog B add the 'Page list' widget in the 'Menu' container. Go to Dashboard -> Select Blog B -> Blog settings -> Widgets.

Good luck

7 Nov 05, 2008 19:03

Thanks again, Afwas but...

I still haven't found how to add that particular page, 'About this system' to Blog B once that widget is added. I had created a Group blog and it already had a Page List widget in it, but it had no content because there were no pages in it. I am using Blog A and B as examples to set up the Group blog. That's when I realized I didn't see how Blog B linked to a page from Blog A since clicking into the Page List widget didn't show me how Blog B selected that particular page from Blog A. I still don't see how to do it. Where is the page to choose a particular URL from somewhere else to tie to that widget? :?:

Thanks.

8 Nov 05, 2008 19:09

I don't know what's going on. Visit the [url=http://demo.b2evolution.net]Demo blog[/url] that has a standard setup. Check out both front side and dashboard. Blog B in that setup does have the 'Page list' widget pointing to a page in blog A.

Good luck

9 Nov 05, 2008 19:30

Thanks again, Afwas.

Sorry that it's taking me some time to get this resolved... I have the same setup as the Demo blog and here are the steps I'm using to find the link association from a single page URL from Blog A to the menu in Blog B:

Dashboard -> Blog B -> Blog Settings -> Widgets -> Menu -> Page List

yet I still don't see how nor where that 'About a system' page from Blog A is tied to that particular widget in Blog B. I only see settings for that particular widget, not that a page URL that shows that 'About a system' menu item I see on the public side of the blog is tied to it, therefore, I don't see exactly where the association was made.

Where should I be looking to find that exact URL association -- where on Blog B on the admin side do I find a field like 'URL to associate to this page list widget?

Thanks again.

10 Nov 05, 2008 19:46

That association is not in the Admin but deep down in the code.
Every post with type 'Page' is supposed to be shown in every blog that has the 'Page list' widget enabled.

Good luck

11 Nov 05, 2008 20:02

oh...okay Afwas - that makes more sense now.

So, that means if there are more 'pages' created in Blog A, Blog B, Blog C, etc., they will all show up in the menu of each? That can make for a long menu. :?:

But then, how come when I created the Group blog which has a Page List widget by default, the 'About the system' link is not listed in its menu? It only shows the Home, Contact, and Log-in. :?:

Suppose I only want to show on Blog A a Page List only from Blog A; on Blog B a Page List only from Blog B, and so on? :?:

Also, how can I add a URL from elsewhere to the blog 'menu' e.g. a resource link that resides on another domain? :?:

Thanks again.

12 Nov 05, 2008 20:12

You can use the FreeHTML widget for all kinds of (external) links. You can also play with that to generate links single pages in single blogs.

Good luck

13 Nov 05, 2008 20:18

Thanks Afwas.

Also, if you would please, what about...

blogmeister wrote:

So, that means if there are more 'pages' created in Blog A, Blog B, Blog C, etc., they will all show up in the menu of each? That can make for a long menu. :?:

But then, how come when I created the Group blog which has a Page List widget by default, the 'About the system' link is not listed in its menu? It only shows the Home, Contact, and Log-in. :?:

Suppose I only want to show on Blog A a Page List only from Blog A; on Blog B a Page List only from Blog B, and so on? :?:

ETC...

Thanks.

14 Nov 05, 2008 20:21

1) Yes
2) Dunno
3) Create a normal post in the blog. Set it's date to way back in the past so it will show up as last post. Then link to that post with a FreeHTML widget.

Good luck

15 Nov 05, 2008 20:23

Thanks so very much, Afwas. Hopefully others will benefit from this also.

Take care.

16 Nov 07, 2008 04:13

Hello again.

For those who are interested, I now know how to create a menu link using FreeHTML and that can match the skin e.g. glossyblue, after copying the code found in View Source for another existing menu link like Home, etc.

For an 'About' link, in the FreeHTML widget's 'Block content' field, add the following code:

<li class="widget_core_coll_common_links page_item"><strong><a href="http://www.example.xyz/about">About</a></strong></li>

Of course, you can add 'target="_blank"' if you'd like.

That's it.
HTH

Form is loading...