Recent Topics

1 Jan 26, 2009 23:33    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Hello,

I am trying to upload files such as .doc, .ppt, .pdf, .xls, etc. Unfortunately, the error message shows

Cannot post «evans-accred-1st-file.ppt» because it is not an image. .

Can you help me what I need to do to upload files with above extensions? Please help me.

Thank you.

Farzana

2 Jan 26, 2009 23:52

In Admin, check ..
Global Settings and the tab "File Types"
Is .ppt locked?

3 Jan 26, 2009 23:55

Hello John,

First of all, thank you for replying.

No, it is not. It is allowed. Only two file types (.html and .php) are the only two that are locked by default.

Farzana

4 Jan 27, 2009 00:42

Over there on the right ... I think it was on the right but I haven't looked at it since starting this comment ... there should be a link to edit the bobbles of that file type. Once there you should see a checkbox for "allow upload of this file type". It *should* be checked so let's make sure it is.

After that...

OH SNAP! You are trying to use the button that says something like "make a post out of this" which only works for image types. You probably can upload ppt files, and you can link to ppt files, but you can't make a post out of ppt files.

Hope that makes sense and helps!

5 Jan 27, 2009 00:46

Or are you trying to upload ppt files?

Please clarify, as your original post is confusing to me.

The error message says "Cannot post" but your question is about uploading. So are you trying to make a post of an uploaded .ppt file, or are you not even getting it to upload through b2evolution?

Oh and the version you're using really helps. Maybe not in this case, but it is always good form to say something like "I'm using v2.4.2 and haven't hacked anything but my skin is completely customized" because info like that is very often critical in helping find resolution.

6 Jan 27, 2009 01:03

Hello,

I understand what you said. Now, instead of making a post out of this, I linked the file I want to the post.

I don't see a link to click on to open that file. How do I do that?

Thank you.

8 Jan 27, 2009 01:11

I am sorry, you are right. I asked a confusing question.

I am tryig to make a post of an uploaded .ppt file. The version I am using is 2.4.5 version and I only customized colors, fonts and installed a skin provided by b2evolution.

I already uploaded ppt. file. It is fine and i can see the file. I thought i can make a post of that file. But you explained that I can't. So, now i am linking the file to a new post. But I can't see any link to click on. How do I see the link?

9 Jan 27, 2009 01:16

Please forgive me for giving you a hardtime. May I ask a new question?

I have files I need to upload weekly for members to read or save or print. I don't know how I can post the files for the members. Please advice me. Thank you.

10 Jan 27, 2009 02:41

thuzar wrote:

Please forgive me for giving you a hardtime. May I ask a new question?

Oh my goodness! You've not given anyone a hard time, and of course please ask questions!

So I'm typing as I'm testing. I happen to have a .ppt file on my machine here, so I uploaded it to an installation I'm working on. Now that I uploaded it I see that I have no way to simply link to it. I have the "Make posts" button but we know that will fail so I'll try a different way to share this .ppt file with my visitors. (PS: when I post it I will make it be "protected" so that only my members can see it ... not that this blog has any members - I'm testing is the thing.)

Okay that was good. I went to my Write button and selected the "Files" button from under the post textarea place. I then checked the box at my .ppt file and clicked "Insert IMG/link into post". That seemed to make a link show up in a post, but it is an empty A tag! That totally sucks because no one will be able to see the link. In other words I got this in my posting textarea:

<a href="http://domain.tld/path/media/blogs/a/filename.ppt" title=""></a> 

At this point I could put some words before the </a> bit, but this is supposed to just work right? Sorry, but even the next try will not be "super easy". I did my upload using the "quick upload" button. Had I clicked "Upload" then "show advanced upload properties" I would have been able to provide a name for the file. As it is, I already uploaded it, so I will instead edit the file's properties and give it a name ... then try to "insert IMG/link into post".

Okay cool! Much better! Now that b2evolution knows the title of this file it uses the title for what will be linked. I dropped the post I tried to make in order to give the title, so now my new post (click on files, select the ppt, click on "insert IMG/whatever it says") looks like this:

<a href="http://domain.tld/path/media/blogs/a/filename.ppt" title="">this is the title of the ppt file</a> 

Bottom line: when you upload your .ppt files you should use the advanced properties feature and give your .ppt file a name. THEN you can conveniently use the "the name on this button is very long" button to create a link to the file that uses the file title as the linked text.

What happens when your members click on the link is up to their computer and settings. It might download, it might open, it might jump up from behind the sofa with a scary mask on and yell "booga booga booga" resulting in your visitors shrieking in fear and spilling their popcorn on the recently cleaned sofa.

Hope it helps!

11 Jan 27, 2009 03:21

Hello EdB,

Oh, thank you so much. It helps. Thank you again and again. You are a very smart, kind, generous with your knowledge and FUNNY person. I was so stressed with this problem and haven't laughed out loud for awhile. Your joke (booga booga booga) made me laugh.

Thank you both for helping me and making me laugh.

Farzana

Form is loading...