Recent Topics

1 Feb 08, 2009 21:52    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

I have been testing the new user group and need some helo with the understand of the permisions system.

As I can see from my effort of testing the new user group and a new user I created I can see a strong division in the way the system works as a whole - I do not want the user to be lock down at the post specifc permisions but have a number of things that can be done accross the until system weither in a specific blog or not in this case i will want to control the user who can create a blog name or rename the same.

Let me explain:

The user is I see it needs the capablity to list all blogs {Public} and post with in the blog - Blogs in the system is the top level and posts pf 1 or many below the main blog name. - to Comment and Reply to all {Public} postings - Edit and Delete his own Replys and Comments - But not any one elses unless he is the creater of the posting and then he is the author of his posting then that user would have full rights to postings {This is not the case here} In this case my new user group and new user should have what I stated above as he is not a author but this user a called for the name of my new user "Posting Blogger" The name should say it all.

Before telling you what I did I need to create the hirarary structure here

Blogs and its name.

Postings can be one posting or many under a blog title.

Replys are assigned to each posting by all blogger or users that are registered.

Categpry's all postings can be assigned a category in which the top posting is in.

There can be many top posting in one blog under one main blog. The key is only one user who is a author can make a top level posting or blog and then top posting. but this user can not the top main catagory only a admin can do that. {this is so there is some control and structure.} Koss does not work. LOL

say it another way!
The top posting is the first posting made by a author of a blog lets say but still the blog has to fall under a top main bllog. {if that makes sence to you - and if i said that right}

Now here is what i did
Created a new group called posting blogger and set the following properties:

Access to Admin area:
{No Access} Hidden Visible link

Blogs:
Depending on each blog's permissions { View all blogs} Full Access

Additional permissions
Stats
{View stats for all blogs}

Left all others the default settings out of the box!

Saved the page

Logout and login as with my new users login

I tested the user and nothing changed from before

Went back in as a admin and change the user from the user group to {Posting Blogger} Which is my new user group I created

I got the following:

Access denied
Sorry, you have no permission to access this section

When I changed the

Access to Admin area:
No Access { Hidden } Visible link

I was then able to get into the backend but as stated in the begining of this posting I only want limmited things this user group can do.

Please explain what propertys I need or should set for how I explained above in the begining of this posting.

I also looked at the following:

Privileged Bloggers which was allready setup when I got the system out of the box!

Please note: Theer is no user as a pivledge blogger yet setup as a user.

The only thing is they are set as {Visable Link}

Also these are different - if it makes a difference?

Additional permissions
Stats
{View stats for specific blogs}

Antispam:
No Access View only {Full Access}

The main differneice as i see it is the

Access to Admin area:
No Access { Hidden } Visible link

Was instead this

Access to Admin area:
No Access Hidden { Visible link }

What is the "Visable Link" mean in this blogging system - please explain?

Now when you look at the Basic User you see the option is set for
{Depending on each blog's permissions}

and

Access to Admin area:
{ No Access } Hidden Visible link

What types of things does this get me?

I do not think that above is what I want!

THANKS

Frank H. Shaw

PS I used { } unstaed 0 so that it is more clear.

2 Feb 08, 2009 23:55

Let me start with this one question what is the differnce bettween the Visable Link and a Hidden Link - Can you explain to me how this changes the permisions model and user piverlages.

The next is how does the setting {Depending on each blog's permissions} if set what diferences does this do to the setting Access to Admin area:
{No Access} does that mean the permisions will be set at the blog permisions model and access to the admin is also controled by the blog permisions and can not be over ridden by a setting in the Access to Admin area: by setting the option to "Hidden" or "Visable Link" of course of I understood in the first place what the two mean in this blog system then I might be able to answer my own question.

3 Feb 09, 2009 00:38

Finally actually tried it eh? Good for you! You're probably getting a feel for why I kept telling you to do that right? Like, this is extremely complex software that doesn't lend itself well to generic questions and answers.

Also before I try to answer I'll have to ask you to please be real careful with terminology. A "blog" is a place where registered users with appropriate permissions can make "posts". I think in your first post here you may have been using the term "blog" when you meant "posts" is why I highlight this.

Okay so you're probably talking about an option on your Users tab after you clicked the name of a group. There is a setting called "Access to admin area". Are we on the same page? If so then "no access" is exactly why I wanted you to register: someone in a group with "no access" will simply never get to the admin area (frequently called back office). With "hidden" checked I have no idea what happens but I'll guess the 'evobar' doesn't show up for them. They would have to type the correct URL or follow a link you provide to get to the admin area. With "visible link" selected they will have the benefit of the evobar visible when they are on the public side of the blog.

As to how do all the permission control levels interact? You're going to have to work through it. Sometimes this is more important (restrictive) than that, other times it's different.

That's why you need to test stuff. When you use one browser to be logged in as The Admin and another browser opened to be logged in as a registered member you will be able to change permissions as admin and see how it affects various bits for your users. And hey it's gonna take some time. I've been playing with this stuff for a bit over 5 years and every now and then I'm like "what the heck is that all about". So I click it and learn. :)

4 Feb 09, 2009 01:57

Yes you are right I meet post not blog thanks for clearing thsi up for me.

Also please clear up what you mean by the evobar' I have not heard fo that term either so please explain what it is and where to find it on the screen in the admin part i would think?

You said the following:

With "visible link" selected they will have the benefit of the evobar visible when they are on the public side of the blog.

I want to say all my question and at present time I am only dealing with Public side of the Blog meaning I am only dealing with post that are visabe to non logon users - like a web page and the posting will show up on the page.

But what about the two options at the bottom of the same page. Viewing group:

and Users & Groups and Settings can you explain how these work as far as {No Access} means what has no access we should be able to get to the backend so it must have another meaning.

Does it stop the user assigned to that group not have access to the user list and group settings but has access to post replys?

THANKS

Frank H. Shaw

5 Feb 09, 2009 02:21

I have laid out some basic rules that might help!

"The Masonic Author" The Masonic Blogger" is a Blogger that can create top level posts in a Blog and every thing a Masonic Blogger can do..

The Masonic Blogger can only post reply's to any Posting in any Public Blog he can edit and delete his own reply’a and Comments..

The Admin User can create his own Blog Name and Rename the same which a Masonic Author can not do and a Admin User can do everything a Masonic Author can do.

The Masonic Moderator can do everything a Adminsrtrator can do except for creating users and user groups.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

6 Feb 09, 2009 02:24

Will the system permision system support this basic permisions model?

The category's are another matter and I hope be able to be asigned at a posting and not blog top level.

THANKS

Frank H. Shaw

7 Feb 09, 2009 04:00

fshaw wrote:

Yes you are right I meet post not blog thanks for clearing thsi up for me.

Also please clear up what you mean by the evobar' I have not heard fo that term either so please explain what it is and where to find it on the screen in the admin part i would think?

You said the following:

With "visible link" selected they will have the benefit of the evobar visible when they are on the public side of the blog.

I want to say all my question and at present time I am only dealing with Public side of the Blog meaning I am only dealing with post that are visabe to non logon users - like a web page and the posting will show up on the page.

But what about the two options at the bottom of the same page. Viewing group:

and Users & Groups and Settings can you explain how these work as far as {No Access} means what has no access we should be able to get to the backend so it must have another meaning.

Does it stop the user assigned to that group not have access to the user list and group settings but has access to post replys?

THANKS

Frank H. Shaw

Ok The following does the thing i wanted for my user The Masonic Blogger" This is good now for this user "But error when making a comment details below this.

The two options at the bottom of the same page. Viewing group:

and Users & Groups and Settings Set to No Access

Does stop the user assigned to that group not have access to the user list and group settings in the Admin Back End.

I still have to figiure out why when a post a comment to a existing post I get a error happen as a message but the actaul comment does get posted to the end of the blog or posting.

8 Feb 09, 2009 04:06

The error I am getting when I try to post a comemnt is this:

Bad Request
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Client sent malformed Host header

Why ?

And thii is the link

http://www.mydomain.org/blogs/htsrv/comment_post.php

That caused the error why ?

THANKS

Frank H., Shaw

9 Feb 09, 2009 04:55

I moved on while waiting for the answer to my question above!

I created another User this time I made this user have only one change from the prevouse user here is the one change.

Blogs:
Depending on each blog's permissions View all blogs {Full Access}

So by setting the "Full Access" for the Blog and this user will be my "Masonic Author" It comes up in the Admin backend and allows a postings to the blogs by the "Write" tab but what I do not want is the Ablility to Create Blogs nameing the Blogs and setting its permisions. I just want this user to be able to edit existing ones.

I feel of i can stop disable the button "New Blog" on the far right will do the trick so can you pint out to me the code line number and file to disable this button.

Look at the page in the backend "Select a blog" to see the button to the far right "New Button' I know it brings up a web page where I could change things there longs if the user can not get thorugh that so I need to find the location of the button

The link is this http://www.mydomain.org/blogs/admin.php

Tab is Global

Select a blog

Thsi is where the button is "New Blog".

I need the line number and file?

THANKS

Frank H. Shaw

PS Very Very Close To want I want!

10 Feb 09, 2009 09:37

Wow I thought I wrote too much ... :roll:

evobar: notice how when you're logged in as admin you have a thin gray toolbar at the top of your browser window with "b2evolution" on the left (or maybe the right - it's gotten harder to tell one from the other lately) and "logout X" on the left (or maybe the right dammit)? THAT thin gray bar is your "evobar". It provides some quick paths to some (allegedly) key bits. Personally I think it is total junk because the only link I ever use is the one to "admin" when I'm outside and "blog" when I'm inside, but so what: that is the evobar.

Yeah terminology is a killer. Didja know each registered user (aka blogger) actually can have or create his or her own blog? Of course they can also create his or her own posts in a blog that they may or may not be the owner of. Permissions get crazy to try to follow eh? But yeah the exact wording of what you wrote made me think "this could be a valid statement but probably isn't due to (no offense) noobishness".

Okay let's try this bit:

And hey let's bring "visibility" into the mix while we're at it. "Visibility" determines who out there can see a post. A "published" post is visible to anyone with a browser. A "protected" post is only visible to a registered user who is also a member of the blog the post was made in. Ignore all the rest for now. Basically just dig on how if you post with a visibility of "published" then everyone and their ugly cousin can see it. Notice how when you click on Group Permissions (and maybe User Permissions) on the Blog settings tab then click on 'advanced' or something like that you have options to say what visibility the group or user can post with?

If you want a group or user to not be able to make posts that can't be seen by the random visitor then DO NOT give them permission to post with 'published' visibility.

Oh crap again with the http://this_doesnt_work.com/clickme.php routine! PLEASE get over that stupid habit! You have a webpage. It gets visitors. Either put up a real link or don't bother faking one!!!

Hey by the way I think I know a reasonably accurate global statement about permissions: the most restrictive rule wins. So like the group the user is in can upload files, but you turned off permissions for that user. Therefore the most restrictive rule (user can't) wins. I could be 104% wrong about that though.

Oh well. I give up after the useless linkage.

Fun stuff though eh? If you think of all the possible permutations available when you set out to do "multi-user multi-blog" you get an idea of what the developers of this thing are trying to enable. For example it sounds like you are using User-based permissions. I totally ignore them and go with Group-based. All my users blog in one blog, but the previous installation had a blog for each user ... even though permissions in their own blog was Group-based.

11 Feb 09, 2009 12:09

Where is the This is where the button is "New Blog". I have been searching the admin.pho and _admain.php and do not know which other file contains the "New Blog" which shows up at the far right of the admin screen while listing the blogs in the system.

THANKS

Frank H. Shaw

PS I do write a lot - but if you know how bad my eye sight is you would understand why i ask so many question - but once I find the place in the code line number and file name - I can fly from that point.

As far as the permisiosn thing I have to lay the logic out so I do not get bixes in.

I will try the slow down as my writting goes.

12 Feb 09, 2009 21:04

Are you asking in which file the text "New blog..." is found? Or which file makes that bit show up on the page you described? If the former is accurate than you want inc/collections/views/_coll_list.view.php around line 68. If the latter then I don't know and I'll bet permissions control it so even if someone sees the button they won't be able to create a blog if you didn't give them permission to create a blog.

Hey for finding which file holds what bit I recommend googling "agent ransack". I used it to search for "New blog" which unfortunately shows up in a million files. I then noticed one of the files was /locales/messages.pot which means it is a translatable string. So I changed my agent ransack search to "'New blog...'" and found the very specific file. Neat trick eh?

13 Feb 09, 2009 21:50

Yes the button 'New blog...' was what i was looking for and I see that there is some logic at the line you said to handle that button - The logic is not that clear at this point how the button is actualy created.

Here is the logic :

// Create result set:
$Results = & new Results( $sql, 'blog_' );
$Results->Cache = & get_Cache( 'BlogCache' );
$Results->title = T_('Blog list');
$Results->no_results_text = $no_results;

if( $current_User->check_perm( 'blogs', 'create' ) )
{
	$Results->global_icon( T_('New blog...'), 'new', url_add_param( $dispatcher, 'ctrl=collections&action=new' ), T_('New blog...'), 3, 4 );
}

Can you please explain how the actual button is done here.

When pressed it brings up this page

http://www.mydomain.org/blogs/admin.php?ctrl=collections&action=new

and if you select a skin it brings up this

http://www.mydomain.org/blogs/admin.php?ctrl=collections&action=new-selskin&kind=std

and pick custom page brings up this

http://www.mydomain.org/blogs/admin.php?ctrl=collections&action=new-name&kind=std&skin_ID=6

This is all good for now - but later I will be changing some of it.

So back to the actaul question - if i want to make the button not be a link as it is half button and half link how is the button or link handle or does the sniplet of PHP above do it and I just do not understand the script - what could I be missing in my reading of this?

I am a liittle weak on the Class stuff in general so maybe you can help me here and explain a little.

Where is the URL that the pressing of the button call?

How does the button know to go to the URL when pressed would be the first thing?

Is there a function being called i the process do not see?

Can I use a image as a button of i wanted to and how would i modify the above to display a nice fancy Image.

THere are also as you know when I want to also be able to disable the button but still show it just do not have it fuunction. How would I modify the above for that.

Once I have some of those things understood I should be able to create some simple logic "procedule logic" that is not class logic but logic is logic to test for a condition and if it is so do this if not do this!

THANKS

Frank H. Shaw

15 Feb 10, 2009 00:03

The Line is the logic to test the permison on the user and see if he has permisions to create a blog this fine and good but I have to change the logic here a bit. Please follow me !

The script as is on line 66 in the file _coll_list.view.php need to change from this

if( $current_User->check_perm( 'blogs', 'create' ) )

To something else :

What i do not know until I know how to pull this information from the user and that is how to test what group the user as assgined and maybe the level the user is assigned.

Take one at a time the user is assigned to a group I need to ask how and what varables or array will hold this information and be aviable to my logic at and around line 66 of this file.

THat should be it for now?

THANKS

Frank H. Shaw

16 Feb 10, 2009 06:39

What I need at this point is the place in the system where the array is to hold the data for the user and which group he is in and what level 0 thorugh 10 he is in.

Most from a data base and tables - but most system store this information in a array usely.

So once I know the line numbet and file where this is defined and its structure. I can just write some logic in PHP like a case statment and parse the array and test aginst the string "Masonic Author" and level if there is a match i need to handle this condition different logic for this user group.

Like I said before I want this user to be able to only post in any blog or create blogs but under a top Blog which I will create the top level blog.

For example would be the Blog with the Top name would be "BLUE LODGE", YORK RITE", SCOTTISH RITE", AND "SHRINE" there will be other top level blogs later on.

Now all"'MASONIC AUTHORS" will be able to create lets call them Sub Level Blogs under any top level.

and be able to post and do all the other things except create a top level Blog.

I hope that makes some sence now.

THANKS

Frank H. Shaw

17 Feb 10, 2009 08:48

Please look at the following link and the link is actaul to my domain.

http://www.burningtaper.org/blogs/blog6.php

Here you will see the b2evolution and what to change this to my logo - so I would like to know where do I find the code in the script to show the image - I need the line number and file name where this located.

THANKS

Frank H. Shaw

PS See I am comming along thanks for all the help so far!

I still need the last few questions in the other post answered still looking for the array that I talked about before this.

18 Feb 10, 2009 08:58

fshaw wrote:

What I need at this point is the place in the system where the array is to hold the data for the user and which group he is in and what level 0 thorugh 10 he is in.

Most from a data base and tables - but most system store this information in a array usely.

pre_dump( $current_User );

¥

19 Feb 10, 2009 13:01

Cool - Thanks

Now that you have told me the information is in the array $current_User where is this array defined in the system just the file name I can find the line unless you know it too?

Did you look at the link I sent you to look at ?

You see I have moved to the phase of acatul creating a blog shell no real text but now I have a better understand of the system then I did.

TAHNKS

Frank H. Shaw

http://www.burningtaper.org/blogs/blog5.php

20 Feb 10, 2009 17:50

If you could possibly condense your goal to less than 200 words then I'd be grateful. I love reading but between you and EdB I'd get old.

Good to see that you no longer own http://domain.com :D

¥

Form is loading...