Recent Topics

1 Feb 15, 2009 21:39    

My b2evolution Version: 2.45

Hi all!

Pinging, what is this all about please? I am not grasping something. Blogging I thought in simple terms was just putting your thoughts out there on your website and that is where it stayed, on your website.

Whether anyone ever saw them - that was another skill !!

However, I see this pinging referred to on my screen if I publish something which earlier was deprecated. I was just trying to see what was the effect of deprecating and then replacing it to publish. I did a number of these transactions. It was the help articles I was studying. Things like "slow down cowboy" kept coming up.

Now I get a distinct feeling that when we publish anything on our blog that it goes somewhere else for some purpose. Does anyone actually see the blog when the information gets "Pinged" other than on my website?

Don't follow all this. Would someone be kind enough in layman's terms to explain what this "pinging" is all about please.

Many thanks.
David

2 Feb 15, 2009 21:43

Pinging is a way to tell the whole world "I have new stuff". Basically when you post published (instead of saving a draft) your server will tell b2evolution's and ping-o-matic's servers that you've updated. Nothing more, nothing less. Those servers then have their webs show who's updated recently.

Except ping-o-matic turns around and pings 12 or 15 or I dunno a million other servers that like to listen for pings.

It's a way to drive traffic through visibility.

The "slow down cowboy" is what ping-o-matic replies to the ping if you ping very frequently. Oh yeah there is a hand shake that happens. "Heres a ping" says yours. "Got it" says theres.

When you use "Publish Now!" b2evolution treats it like a brand new post. New date and time stamp, new ping. I didn't know about the new ping but it makes sense.

3 Feb 15, 2009 22:48

EdB - thanks a lot, much appreciated.

Good stuff, follow exactly what you are saying.
Another lesson learned.

Form is loading...