Recent Topics

1 Feb 15, 2009 23:01    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

Before I get adventurous or whatever and try to press the create a Static Page button, can someone explain what is the purpose of a static page and some helpful points to observe when you come to using one.

Thanks for your kind help. :-/

2 Feb 15, 2009 23:13

A "static page" in b2evolution is a waste of time.

Basically if you do the stuff the right way, a static page will be a snapshot of your main blog page. The first page with your most recent posts. Next time you post you would probably have to update your static page eh?

So why do that? To save the server from having to actually create the page again. This is good if you get slash-dotted and suddenly your server is overwhelmed with traffic. But think about it: the traffic is probably going to a single post page AND if your server is getting hammered how would you be able to get in to make a static page?

3 Feb 15, 2009 23:23

Thanks EdB. Forgotten about it already!!

Whilst replying "slash-dotted" is this a foreign language...!! (Joking).

Let this learner find out more, what - does "slash-dotted" mean?
Thanks again. :)

4 Feb 16, 2009 00:21

http://slashdot.org/

If someone at Slashdot links to an article or post on your site that takes their fancy, expect thousands of hits all at one time.
It can blow your bandwidth, have your host shut the site down or fry your server. or all three at the same time.

Now, back to B2 questions..

5 Feb 16, 2009 10:30

Like I don't want to be slash-dotted!!

Surely if you have a working site which in my case is to do with digital pictures, then it might be you would be better off if blogging - to create a site just for that...! So that the rest of your interests are not affected if the worst happened?

Any way thanks John for the reply.
I have been warned.

6 Feb 17, 2009 01:21

I think thatstatic pages will be removed in the near future. The 3.x generation will have a better cache system.

7 Feb 17, 2009 13:18

Thanks for info Walter. Went up to your www link. My goodness you are some definitely clever guy.

How hard you must have worked and studied.
Well done... (I see you have been here since May 2004).

Thanks again for stopping by.
David

8 Feb 18, 2009 01:14

I like static pages - I have actually used them on occasion (and no I've never been slashdotted. It sounds as though it might hurt. Or be rude). I used them to create html pages which look like blog pages which I then use for non-dynamic content.

But having the option right there in the backoffice is probably a bit tempting as it's hardly an everyday thing. Maybe a plugin would be a better way to do it, or something equally unobtrusive.

9 Feb 18, 2009 01:37

If you tell your browser to 'view source' it delivers a page you can save and use as static.
Much like filthio I've used statics for certain design issues. Because a static delivers a full working header (and footer and if you wish a sidebar) you can use it as a portal type of entry page.

One other practical idea: use a static during maintenance. Be prepared the links aren't working if the blog is offline.
If you ever get slashdotted or Dugg up you may consider setting up a cron job generating a static page every five minutes or so.

Form is loading...