Recent Topics

1 Mar 13, 2009 11:31    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

I just wanted to update a post and couldn't save it or even preview it. I always get this error:
Service Temporarily Unavailable
"The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later."

Tried to modify another post but the same error code.

All other functionalities work well and did not encounter any problems with heavy traffic.

Any suggestions?

2 Mar 13, 2009 13:46

Might be a b2evo problem, might be a server problem. I'm no expert but others here are - help them out by posting a link to your blog, and the entire error message. we'll have a look for a start.

You might also ask your hosting company (assuming you don't manage your own server) and see if they can help. if it really is a load problem they will know about it.

4 Mar 13, 2009 13:54

Probably server related, as the text "Please try again later" does not show up in b2evolution v246.

OTOH it might be a file on your server got crapped up. Hopefully you've got a local copy of your files? If so, and if the problem persists, and if your host says "nothing wrong on our end" (which they'll say maybe even if it is their end that's bonked) then you might want to consider deleting the entire /inc/ folder from your server then uploading the copy you have on your local machine.

Maybe!

5 Mar 13, 2009 13:57

Thanks. Don't miss the obvious too - ask your host if there really is a problem.

6 Mar 13, 2009 14:08

Just on the off chance that this is one of the first times you've tried editing a post since upgrading from 0.9.x try meandering into conf/_advanced.php and changing a section like this to be this ;)

// If you get blank pages, PHP may be crashing because it doesn't have enough memory.
// The default is 8 MB (in PHP < 5.2) and 128 MB (in PHP > 5.2)
// Try uncommmenting the following line:
ini_set( 'memory_limit', '32M' );

¥

7 Mar 13, 2009 14:32

I'm still waiting for a reply of my host - no chance to get through by telephone ...

In the meantime I deleted the inc folder and replaced it with my local copy. Didn't help but was worth trying.

@¥åßßå: I upgraded about 9 months ago and had around 90 blog posts since then ;-)

8 Mar 13, 2009 14:52

It was a long shot since I saw it was august, but you may have made perfect posts between then and now :D

¥

9 Mar 13, 2009 15:15

I checked the _advanced.php file in the conf folder as well. Everything as it should be :D

10 Mar 13, 2009 19:11

Very strange thing: I can modify blog settings and I can even post comments on my blog without a problem. So I can write new data to the database. No obvious problem with database connection (if there was a database problem the blog wouldn't be displayed ...)

But still no way of creating new posts oder modifying old posts.

11 Mar 13, 2009 19:43

If you want to do another test case... and you know how to run an offline/localhost server..

(You can try XAMPP - search for "Apache Friends" on google.)

Save your live DB, and put it to your localhost.
Then try to edit offline.

1. If it works, then more likely than not, it's a server issue (and could be anything)

2. If it doesn't work

• try to download a fresh copy of b2evo

• re-install your localhost copy

• restore your localhost DB

• Test again

• [/list:u]
    • If it starts to work, it might be one of your files.

• If it still doesn't work..

• [/list:o] hmm..

12 Mar 13, 2009 22:50

Thanks! I'll try this as a ultimo ratio - let's first see what my host answers as I don't have any experience with running b2evo from a local host. Might be an adventure ;)

The longer I analyse the problem the more I think that there might be a corrupted file in my installation. I can change general setting but I can't change or delete widgets. I can post comments but can't create new posts.

13 Mar 14, 2009 01:44

Can you access your database via phpmyadmin and to a ... uh ... where you select all the tables and click something in a dropdown menu. Something smart.... Optimize! That's it - optimize, which I'm pretty sure will also do a repair if it needs it.

Just another maybe is the thing.

Plus I hate to suggest redoing the replacement, but maybe grabbing a brand new copy of your version and unzipping it, then replacing all the /inc/ files again? Also there's a few files in /conf/ that might want to be made whole again, but in /conf/ you can use FTP to see if the byte sizes match cuz there's only a few files. Plus _basic_config.php holds all your groovy database connection bits so wholesale replacement isn't a good idea ;)

And I guess maybe the admin.php file in the root level, but mostly that file is just a shell that makes the inc folder do all the work. Poor /inc/ folder. Toiling away for ever and ever while admin.php gets to go out drinking with all the pretty young girls. It ain't fair is it?

14 Mar 14, 2009 04:48

Yah, your DB, might need to be Optimized.

(Come to think of it, b2evo need some way to optimize the DB from the backoffice. I've seen IPB [Invision Power Board] offer optimization vie their ACP/backoffice.. but that'll surely add a slew of new problems for the dev team)

And yes, make the localhost your last resort. The point is, "elimination" of suspects/theories. One step at a time ^_^

15 Mar 14, 2009 09:43

I optimized all tables (after db backup) and deleted poor little /inc/ folder again. Uploaded new inc folder from really virgin installation files (from b2evo site). Checked size of files in the /conf/ folder - seems perfect.
Patient remains ill.

Just to think a bit further:

I can't update widgets
I can't update posts
I can post comments
I can create categories
I can change blog settings
I can change some global settings
I couldn't add an external feed in the advanced tab of blog settings

Or maybe it's really a host problem. It takes them quite some time to answer ...

16 Mar 14, 2009 09:49

can you create a phpinfo and link it ?

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

¥

18 Mar 14, 2009 10:25

OK, now goto admin > tools > System and see what your "php memory limit" says

¥

20 Mar 14, 2009 10:50

Ok, now go back to my first post and check if your /conf/_advanced.php definitely has the 32M line un-commented

¥

21 Mar 14, 2009 10:56

It's un-commented now but still no change. :(

22 Mar 14, 2009 10:58

Can you change the phpinfo you linked to :

<?php
ini_set( 'memory_limit', '32M' );
phpinfo();
?>

¥

23 Mar 14, 2009 10:59

Going back to my info.php it says that the memory limit is 16M - maybe my host limits it to 16?

24 Mar 14, 2009 11:00

Even after you edit it to look like my above post?

¥

25 Mar 14, 2009 11:02

My post was before I read your post. I changed it and now it says "local value" 32M and "master value" 16M

26 Mar 14, 2009 11:05

Ok, lets try a tad more

in conf/_advanced.php uncomment the display errors stuff as shown below :

// To help debugging severe errors, you'll probably want PHP to display the errors on screen.
// In this case, uncomment the following line:
ini_set( 'display_errors', 'on' );

// If you get blank pages, PHP may be crashing because it doesn't have enough memory.
// The default is 8 MB (in PHP < 5.2) and 128 MB (in PHP > 5.2)
// Try uncommmenting the following line:
ini_set( 'memory_limit', '64M' );

Then got admin > tools > system and see what memory b2evo show you, if it's 32M ( or 64M if you use my setting ) then try hitting one of your failed pages and see if you still get the 500 or a new message

¥

27 Mar 14, 2009 11:11

Changed the _advanced config file but I still get the same 503 error.

admin > tools > system has now 64M (memory_limit)

28 Mar 14, 2009 11:14

When was the last time you were able to edit a post/install a widget ( and, if it was a widget, which widget?).

You might like to ask your host if they've made any changes since then as well

¥

29 Mar 14, 2009 11:17

Check if the root of your host's filesystem has a (hidden) file called .htaccess and report what's in there.

Good luck

30 Mar 14, 2009 11:18

I last did a post and edited some posts on Thursday evening. I'll contact my host again.

31 Mar 14, 2009 11:21

Did you make any changes to your b2evo install between thursday and when this problem started ?

¥

32 Mar 14, 2009 11:24

Man, this beats watching TV

33 Mar 14, 2009 11:25

It's gonna get even more realistic because the adverts are about to kick in whilst I go play in the field ;)

¥

34 Mar 14, 2009 11:25

@¥åßßå: No, I didn't change anything since then. Not even changed a widget.

@John: Hope to catch the "murderer" soon ;)

35 Mar 14, 2009 11:27

I'd wait and see what your host says then, assuming you didn't find the .htaccess that Afwas mentioned?

¥

36 Mar 14, 2009 11:33

If I get you right you don't mean the .htaccess I created but some hidden host .htaccess?

37 Mar 14, 2009 11:34

It'd be whatever .htaccess is in your domains root folder. Could you copy/paste it here ?

¥

38 Mar 14, 2009 11:38

That's my my .htaccess which I have in my /blogs/ folder:

# Apache configuration for the blog folder

# this will select the default blog template to be displayed
# if the URL is just .../blogs/
<IfModule mod_dir.c>
	DirectoryIndex index.php index.html
</IfModule>

# this will make register globals off in b2's directory
# just put a '#' sign before these three lines if you don't want that
<IfModule mod_php4.c>
	php_flag register_globals off
</IfModule>

# If you're using Apache 2, you may wish to try this for clean URLs:
# AcceptPathInfo	On

39 Mar 14, 2009 11:41

Hmmm, well we're back to waiting for your host, unless you can find your site error logs and see if there's any other info there ;)

Start adverts : ( cue some crap jingle ), I'm off to play in a field, I'll take another look if it's still not resolved by the time I get back.

¥

40 Mar 14, 2009 11:47

Crap Jingle... " Up there Gazaly, in there and fight, up there and at em, show em your might"

Don't break a leg... this bloke is counting on you.

42 Mar 14, 2009 13:44

foodie wrote:

:D *bloke*
*girl*

Cute? Cuz yeah I'll totally watch if there's a cute girl on.

OFF TOPIC: what plugins do you have installed? More to the point, are you okay with momentarily disabling a bunch of them (especially anything that wasn't part of the original package) just to see if that is associated with the problem? Disable by clicking on the weird little icon that looks like two dots with an arrow thing connecting them. Or maybe it looks like a really short swizzle stick. Anyway on your plugins subtab it's the first of three over there on the right.

WAY OFF TOPIC: you might also start asking yourself if this is really the host for you. Like, maybe if they changed something and it's hurting your web and they don't respond then maybe they're not worthy of receiving your money?

43 Mar 14, 2009 14:18

Cute? Not me ;)

BACK TO TOPIC: Well, I finally got my host on the phone. They told me that quite a lot of people have problems at the moment. They are working on it. It might be solved within the next minutes. Ha, ha ...

But reading the faq pages of my host I found that the php memory limit should be 32M, not 16M for my web package. Asked them to change that anyway ...

Changing the host? Yes, thought quite often about it. But what would be the perfect host? My host is Strato, a german hosting company. Thought about Host Europe, a Cologne based host. I have a wordpress installation for a small blog project at all-inkl.com. Not bad there but not the best performance. I would like to make sure I get a better host, not something similiar.

44 Mar 14, 2009 14:38

Okay so they're responsive and aware. Guess it's time to wait and see what they come up with eh?

"The perfect host" is the one that works best for your needs. Every now and then here in these forums I got told to get a better host because b2evolution couldn't do something that other apps could. errr... that's not a host problem. I also got told I have one of the worst hosts in the world, but that's crap too because they are 100% reliable in terms of my web staying up and delivering fast. AND they totally rule when it comes to fixing customer issues. To me that's more important than quite a few other things. So to me reliability and speed of servers and service beat cost of space and bandwidth. Also to me "not set up the way one application wants it" is not reason to change away from a known good provider. If anything it is a reason to change the application I wanted to use eh?

So yeah you gotta make your own list of things you value and decide if this host is 'the one' for you.

I think I'll change channels again. I found this new channel called "go outside and do stuff". It's like streaming video in 3D with great color depth and sound that never has to buffer. Weird eh?

45 Mar 14, 2009 14:54

Yeah, you're right. And what I always find when it comes to comaring hosts: "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"

But concerning speed I could really think about an upgrade - it's not only the host, sometimes the host package you chose is inadequat.

AND NOW: Exploring this new channel called "go outside and do stuff"! It's amazing: Great colors and no rendering ...

46 Mar 14, 2009 17:19

I was about to say check your php memory limit, nvm :p

Try to download any .htaccess from your domain root (/public_html/) as well as your blog root (e.g. /public_html/blog/). And compare the two (then post if it is different from the one you posted earlier).

You may also want to check if you have php.ini again in your domain root and your blog root. I've been to some hosts that allows a client to have his local php.ini (which is good IMO if you know how to mess with it).

Post your php.ini if you find one (post two if you found two different php.ini files).

47 Mar 14, 2009 17:45

Well, as my host says that they are working on the problem - because a lot of people seem to have similiar problems - I'll wait and see.

My host limits me to 16M although my package says it should be 32M. They'll check that, they told me.

And: I don't have a php.ini - anywhere.

48 Mar 14, 2009 17:51

foodie wrote:

Well, as my host says that they are working on the problem - because a lot of people seem to have similiar problems - I'll wait and see.

My host limits me to 16M although my package says it should be 32M. They'll check that, they told me.

And: I don't have a php.ini - anywhere.

Ahh, good to hear, should be on their side then. Yeh, wait-and-see. 16M is low for production sites.. for localhost, should be generally fine hehe. Other blog platforms on that particular server you're in should be having problems as well.

49 Mar 14, 2009 18:59

Found someone on twitter with the same problem running wordpress.

Hope it won't last too long.

And now: I REALLY LEARN A LOT FROM THIS FORUM! A BIG THANKS TO YOU, GUYS! :)

50 Mar 15, 2009 19:15

I'm getting really angry about this whole thing: My host could have at least answered one of my three emails. On the phone they told me that they were working on the problem and that they might solve the problem within minutes. It think they should at least tell their customers how long it takes till everything works as it should.

I'm really patient but this whole thing lasts now for more than 2 days. I should really change to a another host.

51 Mar 16, 2009 11:25

I will recommend:
Cirtexhosting
and
Totalchoice

52 Mar 16, 2009 15:52

Thanks for the recommendations!

It works now - but the email I got was ridiculous: The database is working now. We apologize for it was temporarily not available ...

53 Mar 16, 2009 16:38

foodie wrote:

Thanks for the recommendations!

It works now - but the email I got was ridiculous: The database is working now. We apologize for it was temporarily not available ...

Lol. Maybe it is the DB after all, or maybe, they got confused after all the chaotic days they had solving the problem of the server you're in :p

Form is loading...