Recent Topics

1 Apr 07, 2009 21:14    

Hi,

I would like to request to increase the username maximum length from 20 to at least 60 characters. We are using LDAP to Authenticate the Users and some have really long names and can't log in right now.

We are using b2evo 2.4.6

Some other people seem to have the same problem: http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=18066

I hope you guys can integrate this small change in the next release.

Damokles

3 Apr 08, 2009 19:12

Hi thanks for your reply but I belive I quoted the exact same post.

The reason I requested this change is so that I won't have to hack future versions every time I install an update.

4 Apr 08, 2009 21:22

Do you have a username with 60 chars? 8|

5 Apr 09, 2009 00:42

Do you have a username with 60 chars?

No but with 25 chars. I don't think that database space is much of an issue so it wouldn't hurt to use 60 char or even 255 varchar in the database.

Donald Knuth made the following statement on optimization:
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: premature optimization is the root of all evil."

6 Apr 09, 2009 05:04

you have to hack the core unless you know how to write a plugin to do it.it's a 1 sec. crack open the file, edit and write it down somewhere or add that topic to your watched topics it's not a big deal

7 Apr 09, 2009 19:19

I know its not a big deal thats why I requested this change in the core for future versions. Do you have any good reasons not to change it in the core?

As I said for now I will modify the files myself but I don't want to have to do that everytime a new version comes out.

8 Apr 09, 2009 19:59

Damokles wrote:

Do you have any good reasons not to change it in the core?

Best Reason:
Damokles wrote:

have to do that everytime a new version comes out.

I personally note down the core changes i made, it's the best way i found yet and possibly there is no other else than writing a plugin to achieve it, since the wise guys havent suggested any other.. even if you managed to find a way to modify the files accordingly with a plugin or by hacks.php maybe ? you would still need to modify your corresponding Db row i mentioned above so ..

9 Apr 09, 2009 20:13

I think we talk at cross-purposes, what I mean is this change to be integrated in the Core of b2evo in the development CVS this way it would be an one time change.

10 Apr 09, 2009 21:01

Damokles wrote:

I think we talk at cross-purposes, what I mean is this change to be integrated in the Core of b2evo in the development CVS this way it would be an one time change.

ah ok.. i roughly read your post, sorry bout that..lets wait till a dev. member answers than

11 Jul 25, 2012 07:13

Walter wrote:

Do you have a username with 60 chars? 8|

Yes; I "imported" an existing membership list where the default username was the e-mail address. These are guaranteed unique, and this is is a very common practice. Although 60 characters was adequate for my population, really it should be possible to use much longer (maybe 256char) usernames.

12 Sep 13, 2012 14:31

No but with 25 chars. I don't think that database space is much of an issue so it wouldn't hurt to use 60 char or even 255 varchar in the database.

13 Sep 13, 2012 14:52

yea, i think the same.Only disadvantage would be search engines look suspicious to long urls, but i use very long ones, and it didnt matter for me

Form is loading...