Recent Topics

1 Jun 10, 2009 15:22    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

I found a couple of threads on this forum relative to linking a URL to a new window but it appears as though they compare the domain to your own domain to determine if the link is 'external' and should be opened in a new window.

PDF files, though, should be opened in a new window, so is there a way to adjust the Files UI to add the appropriate target attribute for PDF files when it adds the link code?

2 Jun 10, 2009 15:30

Why should PDF's be opened in a new window?

Anyway .... Admin > global settings > filetypes > pdf > edit_settings ... looks like it's already set to open in a new browser window ?

¥

3 Jun 10, 2009 16:03

¥åßßå wrote:

Why should PDF's be opened in a new window?

Anyway .... Admin > global settings > filetypes > pdf > edit_settings ... looks like it's already set to open in a new browser window ?

¥

okay fine it doesn't have do, but since the PDF usually adds an extra toolbar to your browser, and you're looking at a screen that isn't the same as the web page you were just on, it would stand to reason you could very easily close the window (or browser tab) and take yourself off the website.

anyway, you're right, I went to those settings and then tested a couple of my PDF files, they opened in the same browser tab (FF 3).

thoughts??

4 Jun 10, 2009 16:09

actually, my browser ( FF 3.x ) downloads the pdf and opens it in foxit ... it's cool if you want to add target="_blank" code as I have another plugin that auto-closes new tabs that only open for a file download :P

thoughts @ settings are ... hmmm, they shouldn't, it should have sparked a new tab/window

¥

5 Jun 10, 2009 16:12

secondary thoughts ... how are you linking to the pdf's in your post ( ie/ direct typing a link, using an evo suggested link, attaching files through FM .... or ? )

¥

6 Jun 10, 2009 16:13

"¥åßßå" wrote:

secondary thoughts ... how are you linking to the pdf's in your post ( ie/ direct typing a link, using an evo suggested link, attaching files through FM .... or ? )

¥

attaching through file manager.

7 Jun 10, 2009 16:19

ok, that screws my simple solution :P

I'd need to go root through the code to see why the settings aren't doing what's expected.

could you post a link to a post which has a pdf attached ?

¥

9 Jun 10, 2009 16:22

urm, that link takes me to a holding page for your hosts?

¥

10 Jun 10, 2009 16:25

http://armenianchurch.net/blogs/blog7.php/2006/05/sunday-school-classroom-management

try that...

11 Jun 10, 2009 16:55

same holding page ... I get it for the whole of your domain ( with or without www )

¥

12 Jun 10, 2009 17:09

¥åßßå wrote:

same holding page ... I get it for the whole of your domain ( with or without www )

¥

boy do I feel like a dope (although it's not my fault). domain expired yesterday, just renewed it, all DNS should re-resolve to normal within an hour or so if it hasn't already.

13 Jun 10, 2009 17:14

Sounds like an IP block or something like that, or more accurately I can see that link without issue. I seem to recall finding occasionally that my IP was blocked by sites using third party "we block bad IPs" lists, which tend to suck because generally regular folk have no control over their IP and have no mechanism for getting the IP they happen to have at the moment off one of those lists.

But I digress!

I do not have an automagic solution for you, but an idea that might appeal. Your link says "download this pdf", but to do that I would have to right-click and save as. When I wanted to force downloading huge video files I zipped 'em up before linking because (AFAIK) browsers always figure "zip means download". So if you zip your PDFs then visitors will have to download them.

Alternatively, if you really don't care if they view in a browser, then you probably might want to consider text that says something like "click this link in the manner you see fit to actuate a pdf file the way you like". Or something like that.

14 Jun 10, 2009 17:24

shovi wrote:

boy do I feel like a dope (although it's not my fault). domain expired yesterday.

Been there, done that .... and it wasn't my fault either :D .... damn shame the domain was our nameservers :roll:

¥

15 Jun 10, 2009 18:02

EdB wrote:

I do not have an automagic solution for you, but an idea that might appeal. Your link says "download this pdf", but to do that I would have to right-click and save as. When I wanted to force downloading huge video files I zipped 'em up before linking because (AFAIK) browsers always figure "zip means download". So if you zip your PDFs then visitors will have to download them.

yes, htaccess files can help channel different MIME formats to be handled in different ways. works in FF but not always in IE. oh well, I'll figure something out.

thanks for all the quick support, I appreciate it!!

Form is loading...