Recent Topics

1 Aug 07, 2009 02:36    

I am just starting up b2ev, with zero background in using this product. I see the posts, I've played with the install FAQ's and have enjoyed how fast I can start blogging from zero. Amazing!

I am running 1.9 (since this is what my host provider supplied). I don't think I have an upgrade option (that is controlled by the host). So -

Now, my first question: Where does this version stand relative the hierarchical development of the product?

My quandary (2nd question): How do I turn off the Blog All? I have done as the panel suggests and unchecked 'Include in public blog list' in the Blogs Admin for Blog All. I've cleared cache, rebooted, and - when I go to sitename/blog/ I still see Blog All - and my blogname in the sidebar.

When I go to blogname (from sidebar selection) I see what I want to see when I go to sitename/blog/. I can comment, everything looks realy cool! I just cannot seem to eliminate 'Blog All'.

Sorry there are two questions here, but it seems somehow that, depending on which version I am running, I may be told to do different things. Right now, in fact, the host (in responding to this same query), seems about to hardwire sitename/blog/index.php?=2 - and I'm not so sure their interference in this manner is the right solution.

2 Aug 07, 2009 12:27

FIRST!

Hi jbmoss. Welcome to the forums :)

Unless you have a very bad host, you most certainly can and should upgrade. Here is my guess at things: they have an older version of *something* handling installations for their clients so it seems to you as if upgrading is not an option. I therefore strongly suggest you consider upgrading before getting comfortable with an obsolete version. Ask your host "am I allowed to upgrade this software especially since the installed version is obsolete?"

• If they say "yes you can but we won't support it" ask them how much support they will give you on the obsolete product ;) [*]If they say "no because blah blah blah" then you really should consider a new host.[/list:u]

• Answer one: [url=http://b2evolution.net/downloads/index.php]obsolete[/url]. You should upgrade to 2.4.7 or move to a host who can handle 2.4.7 then upgrade :) Answer two: I forget most of that stuff but I'm pretty sure you're seeing "blog all" in the sidebar because you have categories displayed there. Way back in the 1.* generation you couldn't get away from that without hacking core files. Not that hacking is bad! Customizing files so that the package does what you want is one of the cooler bits of the open source world. Removing it from the bloglist did exactly that - but not from all aspects of everything everywhere. Categories, not being blogs, it is still included. FYI beginning with the 2.* generation there is no automatic "blog all". Any blog will be able to aggregate content from any other blogs. Kinda neat when you play with it a bit.

3 Aug 07, 2009 12:33

jbmoss wrote:

Now, my first question: Where does this version stand relative the hierarchical development of the product?

Well, the current version of b2evo is 2.4.7 and b2evo 3 will hopefully be released soon.
Additionally, b2evo 1.9 is marked as obsolete. You can view a list of all releases [url=http://b2evolution.net/downloads/index.php]here[/url].
I would recommend upgrading, even if you have to do it manually; another possibility would be to ask your host whether they can provide you with b2evo 2.4.7.

Personally, I do not use b2evo 1.9 and thus cannot really help you with your other questions, sorry.

it seems somehow that, depending on which version I am running, I may be told to do different things.

That is right, b2evo has changed (a lot?) since version 1.9.

//edit: Hah, pressed "Preview" and saw EdB already has answered.

4 Aug 07, 2009 12:44

I really appreciate your replies, EdB and Tblue.

I will pursue your recommendations with my host provider. I'm sure I'll encounter some resistance to change, since that is human nature. But explaining to them that I DO have an option (to relocate) is a powerful incentive to rethink reasons for not wanting to make a change. Thanks for giving me the current version number, and your insights there.

Now - the problem of Blog All displaying when I don't want it to do so, even after unchecking the flag that 'includes in public blog list'. I solved the problem, by discovering the pull-down menu for 'App settings'/'Display options'/'Default blog to display'.

Aha!

Easy when you know how, and I suppose if I knew enough about how to phrase my question in the first place, someone might have known the answer immediately. But I have no fear of reading the documentation, and I don't mind experimenting to see how things work, so it didn't take too long to find the answer and, in the process, I of course have learned a lot.

This product rocks! It is a pleasure to make your acquaintances, EdB and Tblue, and I hope I'll be ablt to phrase my next question more succinctly. [smile]

Have a great day, and thanks again!

Form is loading...