Recent Topics

1 Aug 19, 2009 22:40    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Hi, new to the forum and could not find this in my searches. I am needing to start running a WordPress Blog in addition to the multiple B2Evolution blogs that I currently have going on a Unix server.

Does anyone know if there is a known conflict running B2Evolution and WordPress off of the same MySQL database on a single server?

Tech support at host is clueless about B2Evolution, and I want to avoid installing a separate MySQL database for the WordPress.

Thanks!

2 Aug 19, 2009 22:43

Forgot to mention my version of B2E is b2evolution 1.9.3

3 Aug 19, 2009 22:54

It would probably make more sense to ask this of the fine folk over at WP-land since in your database b2evo came first, but either way it depends on what the tables you already have are prefixed with. b2evolution will prefix all tables with evo_ - as you probably already know, so as long as your WP installation doesn't do the same you'll have no conflicts. Other than the b2evo tables will constantly snicker at the inefficiency of the WP tables ... and try to lock the doors and maybe wish they could hire a security guard to protect against maliciousness from the new neighbors ;)

Oh and your version is so freakin old it ain't funny. You should upgrade to at least 1.10.3 which was the end of the line for the v1.* generation and will be the most painless upgrade you've got in front of you.

4 Aug 19, 2009 23:04

Thanks EdB!! That is tremendously helpful. Yeah, the neighborhood won't be the same.

Regarding the much needed upgrade, I've been thinking about that. Would upgrading affect any of the customizations I have done to code, graphics modifications etc on each of the blogs I have running on B2E?

5 Aug 20, 2009 02:12

Dunno. Depends on what your improvements are and what the changes from one version to the next are and how they interact ;)

Seriously, no one can tell without knowing everything about your mods AND remembering what bits changed way back then. IN GENERAL your skin will survive upgrading from 1.9 to 1.10.3, but will be useless in the 2.* and beyond generations. As to core mods, who can say? Even if the files you tweaked aren't part of the upgrade it might still cause unwanted interactions eh?

I'd say build a new installation that happens to be an exact copy of your current installation, then upgrade the copy. That way you'll be able to work through any pain associated with upgrading in private.

Form is loading...