Recent Topics

1 Aug 30, 2009 05:57    

My b2evolution Version: 3.x.x

Good Morning,

I am looking for any existing b2evolution Presentation used (or to be used) for well, presentation of b2evolution. I may use it as my presentation (locally) or (which I prefer) will use it as a basis for creating my own presentation (to cater to our local market).

It could be in closed-format or open-format. .ppt; .pptx; ODF.

This will be for presentation purposes on two-fronts:
1) FLOSS events in the Philippines
2) For organizations and companies in the Philippines

In addition, for #2 above, I would like to ask the ff:
[list=1]

• What are the advantages of b2evolution over WordPress?

• What are the advantages of b2evolution over WordPress Mu?

• How about:

• [list]

• Skin side

• Customization side

• User-friendliness or learning-curve (with target audience of "regular", non-techy users)

• Plugin development

• [/list:u]

• Why will/did you choose b2evolution over WordPress and/or WordPress Mu?

• What should WordPress and/or WordPress Mu users expect to and gain when they switch to b2evolution?

• Why should organizations choose b2evolution?

• What makes b2evolution the best choice for organizations?

• [/list:o]

I am also looking for companies, organizations, etc. that are using b2evolution - from a simple blog platform to a full-blown CMS; and from a simple usage to a website that's bringing b2evolution to its full potential.

All these talk should of course have actual usage examples (or if there are none, especially in the "full potential" category, a theoretical example or mock-up will do).

Thank you all. And let's hope that the client I'm going to create a website will be convinced to use b2evolution. (I'm actually going against 3 people who recommends WordPress vs. just me, recommending b2evolution.)

Best Regards

2 Aug 30, 2009 06:55

Looks to me like you're also writing a book :roll:

You left security off the list. WP has a history of security issues. b2evolution doesn't seem to play in that sandbox much. So if a company wants popular stuff that is historically an open back door tell 'em to go for it. OTOH if server security has any value ... ;)

PS you might want to leave 3.x out of the discussion given that it is not likely that all the bugs have even been found yet.

3 Aug 30, 2009 09:57

1) Security, coding, flexibility, multi-everything
    2) as above
    3) wp has more skins that I wouldn't use either
    4) as above
    5) Control
    6) All of the above
    7) Same as 6

Without blowing my own trumpet my blog probably pushes b2evo more than most other installs for "adapted" .. but a lot of the stuff I play with gets used on client blogs.

On top of that I quite often abuse evo to manage other software, current abuse is a goal tracker that runs in tools tab and shows me live traffic wandering around their shop ... damn useful when you're trying to work out where to spend your £'s ;)

¥

4 Aug 30, 2009 10:14

How does the whole "mac vs pc" thing work out in your area? Wanna follow the rest of the sheeple? Get WP (pc). Wanna be smart about it? Go with b2evolution (mac). Or something like that.

Oh and yeah no canned presentation. Never thought of it.

1) Security: near as I can recall, only one security-related release - back in the 0.9 days.
    2) Multi-everything: always had it always will.
    3) aw crap 2 points better make the sale or you're screwed ;)

Do ditch all the spam crap before you show of anything live. ¥åßßå's hacks.php bit fixes most footer spam (dunno about 3.x though), then changing function display_param_link into a simple return gets rid of most of the splog linkage (probably works in 3.x), and finally give the 2.4.7 version of auto-links plugin a go in 3.whatever and see if it still works to wipe out context spam.

OT: next-gen spam will involve the email addy in conf/basic_config: it'll call home like it does without permission and send the email addy which will be sold in bulk repeatedly.

5 Aug 30, 2009 12:32

LOL at your list ¥åßßå. Wow, is it possible if you can share some list of the different ways you exploited and abused b2evo? Other than the b2evo-forums ;)

@EdB I'll avoid the Mac vs. PC, it gets too hot to control :p hehehe... Proprietary vs. FLOSS is much easier to manage than Mac vs. PC debates/sentiments ;)

I'm sure they're fine with the footer links, it's FLOSS anyway, and WP and other CMS also have that (for bloggers at least). For companies, more likely than not they'll either remove any links or adjust it to their liking. Most companies do that anyway hehe.

For the new client I'm working with, I'm gathering everything I can so I can convince them to use b2evo and not WP!! Hehe. Being a multi-blog is already a huge plus, but I'm just one compared to the WP supporters LOL.

We'll see, we'll see. The current site of the client will really benefit from the multi-blog feature.......

6 Aug 30, 2009 15:31

At the moment I'm mostly abusing the new skin class abilities of 3.bloat to allow front end posting/editing/comment editing, user defined number of columns ( complete with settings ) on a per blog basis, multiple featured posts, custom skin image sizes, ajax commenting/next page/read more/anything else I dream up and ( if I can be arsed ), fully editable widgets in the front end.

I'd *like* to add better item/comment editing ( in the front end ), but I *really* can't be arsed taking stuff that far.

The majority of the stuff I've used and abused in the past has already been released, except my gallery && image editing stuff ... that's gonna be a real pita to writeup so it's probably never gonna be public, it does get used on client sites though ;)

The stats tracking stuff I'm coding at the moment will *possibly* be recoded to work with evo_hitlog, in which case I'll release it as an alternative to dannys livehits plugin ;) ... I have to say, it rocks being able to watch people meander round a different web in realtime, and is a great way to waste a few hours :D

¥

7 Aug 31, 2009 02:22

Another thought if it isn't too late. WP is a very nice blog application that one day decided to add in support for multiple users. A VERY nice blog app in fact. b2evo is a Content Management System that used to be a nice blog app. So what does the client need? Chances are CMS will ring more happy bells than 'just a blog' eh?

So when you make your case keep pushing CMS and rarely mention the term "blog".

8 Sep 01, 2009 20:37

I use b2evo since 0.9 ... and the only securiy troubles that I remeber were the ones with xmlrpc.. thas is not even our ;)

9 Sep 08, 2009 07:03

Ironic how we talked about b2evolution's advantage re: Security. A few days later, Wordpress got it massively (for the nth time).

Some worm that adds a new administrator or add additional stuff after each WP links.

10 Sep 08, 2009 22:44

¥åßßå wrote:

ajax commenting/next page/read more

¥

YES PLS B)

Form is loading...